Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite McQueen flic?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Magnificent Seven is one of the few movies where i enjoy the original and the remake. Heck, I wanted to be almost any one of those guys. Even my wife enjoyed it :eek: and was worried it would be just a "guy movie".

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Beer Baron

New in Town
Twitch - If remember correctly the black Dodge charger was an R/T, as a base model they came with a 383 under the hood. But as to a race between the Charger and the Mustang G.T. in a Drag race I'd give it to a Charger, but if there are more then 2 turns, the Mustang would whoop a Charger. And I'm a Mopar guy with a 70' super bee, those big B bodies just don't turn.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The War Lover" (1962)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0056676/

warlover2a.jpg

That is my McQueen!

-dixon cannon

Edward

Bartender
The Blob was fun. I liked the towering Inferno - it was basically the first disaster movie, wasn't it?

Have to admit, though, cliche as it might be I'm a real sucker for The Great Escape. Probably the main reason I've ever wanted to own an A2. Or a baseball glove, for that matter.

Feraud

Bartender
A fine sentiment. I feel the same way. McQueen was a cool cat.
Edward said:
Have to admit, though, cliche as it might be I'm a real sucker for The Great Escape. Probably the main reason I've ever wanted to own an A2. Or a baseball glove, for that matter.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The Sand Pebbles is by far my favorite McQueen movie, though there's almost none that I won't watch over and over (that is, those that you canget these days!). I think Holman is McQueen's most believable and whole character.

dhermann1 said:
I saw something on TV where they said that it would have been impossible for McQueen's Mustang to outrace the bad guy's Dodge. The Dodge was far more powerful than the Mustang. Still, a great chase!

Max Balchowsky was the guy who built up the Mustang and the Charger for the filming. He said "The Dodge, which was practically stock, just left the Mustang like you wouldn't believe."

Ron Riner was the transportation coordinator for the film. He recalls that "The Charger ran rings around the Mustang. We trimmed the tires down (on the Charger), we practically made them down to bicycle tires to try and handicap [Bill] Hickman..."

Still, a pretty great scene!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I like him in everything, and that includes THE HUNTER!

But if forced to choose, I'd have to say THE GETAWAY.

"Punch it baby, punch it!" :D

But my oh my do I love him in JUNIOR BONNER...

As a kid my McQueen "Holy Trilogy" was The Great Escape, The Sand Pebbles, and Papillon.

And isn't it great that the *original* score to BULLITT has been released?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Though I like The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, etc., for me it's definitely The Sand Pebbles.

That it's the only one of his films that I saw in a theater during its original run - as an impressionable 11-year-old - is probably the main reason. Of course, it also holds up as a very watchable film.

I also loved the contemporary Mad magazine satire (I had a subscription in those days), which included this wonderful exchange I've never forgotten:

Holman: "Say, what language do you people speak here anyway?"
Bar Girl: "Here we speak fluent cliche."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was thrilled to see that they had the Mad satire at that site... but alas, it doesn't include the dialog I quoted above, which I was sure was from it. (Hey, after all, we are talking about something that I read over forty years ago!)

But it does have the other thing I recalled about it: "Don't you know what always happens to lovable guys in war pictures?"

http://www.thesandpebbles.com/mad_magazine/mad_sandpebbles.htm

Hondo

One Too Many
The Sand Pebbles, one of McQueens best roles, an Oscar nominated one.
Machinist's Mate 1st Class Jake Holman
I loved the way he handled that browning automatic rifle :eusa_clap

carebear said:
Sand Pebbles and Getaway are my top two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou