Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feather-brand straight razors

Jesse Jack

New in Town
Question first, and then the background: does anyone have any experience with Feather brand straight razors? Any good?

I'm working on my perpetual "wish list" and thinking that with Father's Day on the horizon I might want to upgrade from the ol' Bic disposable razors to something a little more mature. I've been surfing around and looking at shaving sets.

I want to avoid the cartridge razor type; despite owning several of those in the past I just can't make myself drop $20 or whatever on a couple cartridges when I can get a dozen of the equivalent disposable for half the price. I was leaning toward a higher quality 'safety razor' with disposable blades; when I looked into straight razor shaving and the stropping, honing, etc. just seemed too confusing, too much that could go wrong, etc.

So then I came across these Feather brand straight razors, and I guess they have disposable blades so you never have to worry about any of that other stuff. It seems like a cool idea, but then again, it seems like a lot of ideas like that which combine "modern convenience" and "classic style" come out half-baked or even really crappy. Really, I just don't want to rip my face off due to poor craftsmanship.

Thoughts?

SteveAS

Practically Family
Conventional wisdom is that a well-honed and stropped true straight razor will give a better shave than one of the replaceable blade style straights. I can't speak to the Feather, specifically, but I've used Feather blades in vintage safety razors. They provide a good shave, but not as close or comfortable as a true straight (which I now use exclusively).

Jesse Jack

New in Town
Interesting. So, as far as the safety razor blades go, the Feather ones held up? Just thinking that the quality of their safety blades might say something about their straights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany