Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV vs. CEO vs. Fedora v. Leisure Time another help me decide thread, sorry.

Kbobrex

New in Town
Once again, thanks to all for the insights and suggestions. I have ordered a Banjo Paterson in the fawn color. While I like the idea of another "fedora", and expect that I would very much like the Fed IV, I think that the more "country" Banjo Paterson will better fill my present expectations for another hat.

To wax philosophical for a moment, I believe that a hat choice is a personal fashion statement, and therefore I should just get what I think will express "me", versus getting one that will not conflict with the expectations (or judgments, if you will) of others. Therefore, I shouldn't care at all if a Fed IV fedora might look out of place in a cafe or on a trail here in quasi-rural northern New Jersey. If I want another fedora, I should get one. Period. If somebody thinks I'm wearing a costume or being some kind of poser because I want to wear a fedora in the woods, that's their problem, not mine.

On the other hand, it occurs to me that, as with most anything else in life, the potential reaction of society to our choices forms at least some basis for whatever we do that serves to express ourselves. I may be stating this poorly, but I guess what I mean is that if I choose to live in a rural part of a state that also forms part of one of the largest urban centers in the world, why would I not choose a hat consistent with that choice? It isn't succumbing to society's expectation if what I choose now is consistent with other choices I've made all along.

This, of course, is just the too-reflective workings of a mind ruined by 30+ years of the practice of law.

Bottom line, I really like the down in back brim and that fish leather band on the Banjo Paterson, and when it arrives I hope it is as nice in person as pictured on the web! A country hat for the country it is.

Regards-
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana