Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Features - Report from Aero Leather Trade Week - By Craig Brown

schitzo

Suspended
Craig, from the shot of the back it seems the shoulders are a bit PL esque. I think you'd be better off with a 36 buddy. Sorry to break it to you but you may need to take a hit here, and sell this one to me

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, from the shot of the back it seems the shoulders are a bit PL esque. I think you'd be better off with a 36 buddy. Sorry to break it to you but you may need to take a hit here, and sell this one to me

£800 sound about right? :pound: :laugh:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Sloan. I bought my own Aero totally blind off the 'bay and while I love the sizing I have the odd twinge regarding layering, shoulder width, upper arm circumference and all the usual mundane fears. I'm forever trying to assess my own dimensions relative to my Aero and of course the sizes others choose relative to their own frames is helpful if only to know I'm in the ballpark.

Corking jacket by the way.

I know what you mean. Have you thought of getting a proper tailor measure you up? That might take the uncertainty out it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha, Schitzo, I'm wise to your game - I'm not so green as I am cabbage-like, you know. Yes, it's a 38, but the jacket's actually on the nail shoulder-wise, there's no 'sliding off'. The sleeves are on the long side though and I'm going to give it a couple of months and then get it adjusted. That should let them hang properly. Also, those pics are with just a t-shirt on and let's face it, up here, how often will that happen?:D

majormajor

One Too Many
VERY nice jacket, Craig. I had a feeling you might snag that one. So that's another one of us hoping the cold weather stays around a bit longer!:eeek::D;)

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
It's more a kind of algorithm that I keep in my head which vectors the tagged size, the actual size, the amount of layers I wish to wear, the amount of layers I will need to wear, the style given the layers and the weather I can expect to use the jacket in, my other jackets cut/colour and fit and the weather/season they are good for, projected future purchases and..... well, you get the idea.

The other thing is that my weight fluctuates a lot. I used to box and fought at 160lb but since quitting and concentrating more on weightlifting I've been as high as 195lb. Back down around 170lb at the minute. I am generally working with a 10-12 inch drop between my chest and waist so getting even regular clothes to fit is a chore, let alone expensive jackets purchased sight unseen. I very much enjoy this forum because I can see that many guys on here make similarly mind bending calculations regarding their own jacket plans/purchases.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is it ever anything other than cold where you guys live? :D

Fanch, on Wednesday, in the Borders I drove past foot-deep snow - which shocked me tbh - and the occasional blizzard, so yes still quite cold . Thankfully, it finally warmed up a little yesterday ie 52F-ish, and I got around to washing the car without wearing a jacket, but this was obviously just to lull us into a false sense of security, and it's now it's tipping down.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Soiled? Dear god, what do you think I do when I'm wearing this? Chances are you're too tall. I'm 5ft 9in and it's exactly the right length for my needs.

pipvh

Practically Family
Craig, did you try on the Thunder Bay? How does it fit - bulk, weight, etc? It's a great looking jacket. I think there's a picture of someone wearing a similar one in Johnny Stuart's 'Rockers!' book, which I can't get my hands on to verify, unfortunately...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The one I tried on was a 38, so a little big for me and buckled just below the waistline, but Denny's pictured wearing it properly - I guess the fit's would be bit like a front-belted Highwayman. Though it looks like its quite roomy, you have to take into account that there's about an inch of ironed shearling in the body and the arms lined with cord, so zipped-up it's mucho cosy and wind-proof. I reckon, bit like an Irvin, you could wear a long sleeve t-shirt under this in winter and not feel a thing.
Bulk-wise, well it's FQHH on the outside, extra layer of the sheep skin and cord on the inside, so it's not a windcheater, that's for sure, but the belt helps to distribute the weight between your hips and your shoulders, so it's not tiring. I suppose it's like a bullet proof Irvin - I almost went for it and was thinking cordovan with perhaps a rust collar - but went for the new design Irvin as something a bit different.

wdw

One Too Many
did you try on the Thunder Bay?

pipvh, I tried on the Thunder Bay last week and thought it was a great jacket. Despite being sheepskin lined, it didn't seem bulky at all, had a neat V-shaped appearance and didn't seem particularly heavy.

It kind of said "motorcycle cop" to me, in a good way, and I think it's much less in-yer-face than an Irvin if you want something for cold weather. The FQHH hide makes it less of a worry in the rain and the belt looked great when done up. Very nice indeed.

Sloan - snap :p

schitzo

Suspended
Soiled? Dear god, what do you think I do when I'm wearing this? Chances are you're too tall. I'm 5ft 9in and it's exactly the right length for my needs.

You know what I mean. It's like driving a new car out of the showroom; 100 yards down the road and it's depreciating.

There are a million ways for you to soil it my man all of them human.

Examples include: sneezing, vomiting, spillages, perspiration, bird ***t, fight breaks out in Glasgow bar blood splatters your way, contact with cigarette smoke, contact with Asda range aftershave, seatbelt friction burn from sudden braking, wearing it to a festival and standing in the wrong position whilst a northerner relieves himself into his empty plastic pint container before dispersing it into the crowd with gusto - etc etc..

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
To Craig, wdw and any other guys lucky enough to live near Galashiels .... Any of you tried on the Northeaster? Is it a true-fit design meant for layering or is it more tailored? Would, say, a 42 fit as a tailored jacket or as an overcoat with substantial room for a medium to heavy weight sweater? Just curious. And thanks in advance!

wdw

One Too Many
jla, I didn't try it on, but it looks similar to the Barnstormer, Stockman and Cheyenne in terms of fit. I sized down on my Stockman and can still wear a thick sweater under that, but I don't like tight fits anyway. As usual, best to get the specs of the two sizes you're interested in from Holly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters