Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora on a Segway....

carldelo

One Too Many
I think having one of those things would be an excellent way to get around a city.

Seems like a reasonable sentiment, until you have an idiot charging down the sidewalk on a Segway, scattering pedestrians in his wake - they are not small. My wife and I had to detour into the street in D.C. to get away from Segway tour groups that regularly stop en masse on the sidewalk to talk about the sights, and then move off in formation, completely occupying the sidewalk. I've never seen one in NYC, but a rider wouldn't last long if he messed with the wrong group of pedestrians.

The Milanese Segway rider is in the street, which is where they belong. But probably only in a European city, where the drivers acknowledge a "right to exist" for small vehicles like bicycles, mopeds, etc. I gave up riding a bicycle in NYC years ago because US drivers do not recognize that right, for the most part. Oh, and he does look sharp...

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I agree with you. Ive been in Rome, and the culture there is accepting of small vehicles. Scooters and mopeds are parked everywhere! They move through the streets completely unchallenged and unmolested. I couldnt believe it the first time I saw it. It was wonderful! Women in skirts or dresses, open shoes, zipping along without having to be too concerned about getting t-boned by some moron in a car (hello: NY??)

Effingham

A-List Customer
Y'know, I think if I had a Segway, I *would* put a hobby-horse head on it.

Cause the thing *needs* a bit of self-realized giggle-try about it. They're just so hard to take seriously any other way.

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Mmmm, maybe a horse's head staked onto the front of a Segway in ITALY of ALL places isn't giving out the best message *wink*

Now 'why' am I hearing Brando's voice in my head?...haha.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I may be going out on a limb here, but the guy in the photo looks like he's in a European city. I dont know where 'Camelot' is (England? Massachusetts?), but in Europe, the general outlook on transportation is way more open (read: varied) than here in most of the U.S. I think having one of those things would be an excellent way to get around a city.
Boy Scotty, you hit the nail on the head. Here in Wichita motor driven cycles have to be 50cc or above to be licensed to ride on the street. You can't ride motorized cycles (or bicycles for that matter) on the sidewalk. One of my son's friends received a ticket for riding one of those motor driven scooters on the sidewalk, they sell loads of them here, but they're illegal outside or your own yard (they forget to tell you that at the store). I'm pretty sure that Segway's are technically illegal for the same reason, not licensed to drive on the highway, and not legal for the sidewalk.

later

Dav

One Too Many
I'm pretty sure that Segway's are technically illegal for the same reason, not licensed to drive on the highway, and not legal for the sidewalk.
That's exactly why you don't see them in the UK. You can't use them on the pavement/sidewalk because they are a motor vehicle and you can't use them on the road because they won't pass an MOT (ministry of transport) test.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Just for your consideration:

segwhinny.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot