Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora with cowboy boots?

The OP specifically asked about & all the replies have been about cowboy boots. In the General Attire & Accoutrement section the thread is titled Cowboy Boots.
Yes, I am aware of that but also aware that "Roper boots" were designed sometime in the 1950's to suit the needs of rodeo ropers. So while perhaps not worn out on the range that much there were very popular with those "cowboys' involved in the rodeo circuit. So perhaps a minor subset of the larger cowboy boot genre?

LTDAVIS

New in Town
Perhaps we should do a deep dive into photos of people at country or Western fairs and see if they're wearing fedoras as well as wearing their boots. Or just people out west in general during the hey day of fedoras.

The OP specifically asked about & all the replies have been about cowboy boots. In the General Attire & Accoutrement section the thread is titled Cowboy Boots.
I guess it then depends on how one defines cowboy. As ropers were developed for the rodeo ropers back in the 1950's they are at least tangentially related to the 'cowboy' genre unless one considers the rodeo to be outside the confines of cowboydom.

I guess it then depends on how one defines cowboy. As ropers were developed for the rodeo ropers back in the 1950's they are at least tangentially related to the 'cowboy' genre unless one considers the rodeo to be outside the confines of cowboydom.
Never seen a working cowboy wear ropers back in the day. It was the working cowboy’s who founded the rodeo in their spare time for recreation. Ask Yamahana, he was a rodeo competitor.

Ropers typically have no arches & were original made flat & wide. Just lie the zipper boots were originally made for people with tree trunk legs.

Never seen a working cowboy wear ropers back in the day. It was the working cowboy’s who founded the rodeo in their spare time for recreation. Ask Yamahana, he was a rodeo competitor.

Ropers typically have no arches & were original made flat & wide. Just lie the zipper boots were originally made for people with tree trunk legs.
Yes, and apparently in the beginning ropers wore running shoes. The ropers requested a boot with a lower heel so they could wear an actual boot instead of performing in tennis shoes......and thus the roper was born in the late 40's/early 50's. Now you can make the argument that rodeo ropers are not real cowboys thus ropers are not cowboy boots.

What would Yamahana say about this?

Yamahana

One Too Many
He would say that he learned a long time ago to mind his own business.
Besides I wouldn’t know because I was a bull rider….
75F8C85F-699D-459D-BECE-31CFFB7BD2D2.jpeg
3AFAD59E-B4ED-43AA-B5A0-73B6B95C6F79.jpeg

….. I never hung out with those sissy ropers :cool:

Who?

Practically Family
I’m not sure why this is even a question.

I don’t think people will cover their children’s eyes, or shake their fingers, or throw vegetables, if OP appears in public wearing a fedora with western boots.

I would be curious to hear of any reaction. It may depend on where this happens.

I’m not sure why this is even a question.

I don’t think people will cover their children’s eyes, or shake their fingers, or throw vegetables, if OP appears in public wearing a fedora with western boots.

I would be curious to hear of any reaction. It may depend on where this happens.
A good friend of mine with Scottish ancestry who lives in Texas came to my wedding in a kilt and cowboy boots. Now that's fashion-busting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto