Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora without a suit advice

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Personally, I wear fedoras with almost anything.

I'm comfortable wearing anything from formalwear (own two tuxedos and a tail coat plus accoutrements) to running wear. I wouldn't wear a fedora with those extremes, but I would and do with anything in-between.

Today for example, I donned a taupe Mallory 10 for walking the dogs, with green shorts and a black T-shirt. Later on, going to the contra dance (you can look it up....) I wore it with synthetic colorful pants and shirt, just because there's this hurricane coming in and the weather is iffy.

I don't get comments from those who know me - they are used to seeing me wear a fedora with almost anything. Strangers mostly say "nice hat!" ...uh, thanks...or "hey, Indiana Jones!" ...uh, like, it's a Panama dude, but thanks anyway.

I'm pretty much in BobC's camp - just wear it if it feels right. Carter's examples from the movies, and RBH's granddad pics tend to illustrate what I believe is true - back when hat wearing was common, nobody gave all that much thought to what was stylish or compatible with other clothing. You just slapped your nearest lid on your head and off you went.

Not to get into the world of aluminum foil warding off telecommunications (yeah, my 93 y.o. mom is one of them paranoid-schizo cases), I really think there's a psychic benefit to wearing a hat. It isn't all about what others perceive or like about your appearance, there's another dimension here. Hats can be good medicine. Anything you wear, if it has that power, can be good medicine if you are attuned to that.

In my case, it matters far less what others think than what I perceive.

Best of everything to all of you,
- Bill

funneman

Practically Family
I won't even run out to the store for bread or milk without putting on jeans and a fedora.
I find that a straw hat looks okay with shorts.

Here I am on vacation in Ketchikan, Alaska with my Royal Stetson Deluxe sans suit.

pic3-1.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey Ortega -

Thanks for the pics. Not my personal style exactly, but you look great in what you're wearing. Way to go my man! Just do it and be happy - it works!

- Bill

ortega76

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
Hey Ortega -

Thanks for the pics. Not my personal style exactly, but you look great in what you're wearing. Way to go my man! Just do it and be happy - it works!

- Bill

Thanks! I admit it's a very casual hat and a beater at that, but it's comfortable and I wear a lot of earth tones- so it sees a lot of use. I don't have a chance to "dress up" much so my stingies see more wear than my homburg or wider brimmed fedoras.

Viper Man

Banned
ortega76 said:
...I don't have a chance to "dress up" much so my stingies see more wear than my homburg or wider brimmed fedoras.

I am the same way. I'm way more partial to my porkpies for everyday casual wear. 1-7/8" or 2" brims are just about perfect for me and go with jeans, t-shirts, and button up shirts. Although I find that I don't like to wear athletic shoes with my hats and the only hats I'll wear with shorts are straws.

ortega76

Practically Family
Viper Man said:
I am the same way. I'm way more partial to my porkpies for everyday casual wear. 1-7/8" or 2" brims are just about perfect for me and go with jeans, t-shirts, and button up shirts. Although I find that I don't like to wear athletic shoes with my hats and the only hats I'll wear with shorts are straws.

Great avatar! I love Daffy Duck!

I wear Chuck Taylors, some classic Pumas, Ed Hardy- classic stuff that works well as a "lifestyle shoe". I am most fond of the Chuck Taylor- I even got married in a pair! Shorts get caps or straws.

MattJH

One Too Many
For whatever it's worth, I've never once worn a fedora with a suit. I wear them with button-downs and t-shirts. No problem.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
I really think there's a psychic benefit to wearing a hat. It isn't all about what others perceive or like about your appearance, there's another dimension here. Hats can be good medicine. Anything you wear, if it has that power, can be good medicine if you are attuned to that.

In my case, it matters far less what others think than what I perceive.

Nicely put, Bill. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I'm feeling informal and it's too hot to wear any jacket, this is what works for me.

Fedora
Long sleeved buttoned shirt with sleeves rolled up
Suspenders (button only, no clipons unless my head is shaved and I'm also wearing doctor martens)
Trousers (not jeans personally for me too much, but if I had a pair of dark blue ones, I'd try those, cuffed)
Leather shoes
Vintage tie, or occasionally not -- often I won't if I'm going for e.g. a drink with a group of people who I know will be casually dressed and I don't want to seem too terribly out of place; on the other hand, I like looking out of place. A lot.

I personally don't do sneakers at all anymore.

rrog

A-List Customer
I like to wear my Stetson with jeans, oxford-type button down shirt and a spsorts coat/blazer. For my everyday needs, it's a great mix of formal and informal that I can wear just about anywhere. When I'm at funerals, I see alot of the funeral guys wearing fedoras. I asked a guy one time about it and he said they wear them mainly for protection from the sun (obviously speaking of grave-side services). When I do a grave-side, I wear a suit with my fedora. It just seems appropriate.

Rick

arthur

Suspended
I'm a carpenter and I wear an Adams executive with my bib overalls everyday.I very rarely wear suits but i always dress in a vintage style.My typical summer uniform is linen pants, hawiian shirts and either my off white Resistol or my brown coconut.

RBH

Bartender
arthur said:
I'm a carpenter and I wear an Adams executive with my bib overalls everyday.I very rarely wear suits but i always dress in a vintage style.My typical summer uniform is linen pants, hawiian shirts and either my off white Resistol or my brown coconut.
I love my overalls! Lets see a photo of you in yours, maybe we coul;d strat a overall thread!:D with fedora of course.

Here in the south .. in the day.. overalls with fedoras were the norm.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
jpbales said:
I'm a college student and I'm used to "t-shirt and jeans" for everyday wear, do you think it's possible to pull off the t-shirt and jeans with a nice hat?

No. Grow up, get some long-sleeved button down shirts and learn to tie a Windsor knot.

"Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man" ;)

MattJH

One Too Many
Orvil Newton said:
No. Grow up, get some long-sleeved button down shirts and learn to tie a Windsor knot.

I strongly disagree. The t-shirt / jeans / fedora look is timeless and appropriately casual.

MattJH

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
Fedora with a metal/rock tee and jeans or a suit with a ball cap? Which is worse?[huh]

Fedoras are no longer synonymous with dressy. I'm aware that they were in their heyday, and I'm aware that this is a message forum focusing on vintage fashion, but the original poster asked the question in the context of this being 2008. Even more specifically, the question revolves around the Akubra Sydney, which is decidedly casual with its lower crown and thinner ribbon. Would I recommend wearing a homburg with a t-shirt and jeans? No. But a fedora? Of course! And an Akubra Sydney specifically? Well, I'd encourage it.

I also wear baseball caps plenty. There is nothing wrong with them.

I love this messageboard for its knowledge and its widespread courtesy, but the fashion-based elitism irks me sometimes.

Fedora + t-shirt + jeans + 2008 = sharp.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:

I love this messageboard for its knowledge and its widespread courtesy, but the fashion-based elitism irks me sometimes.

Could not agree more...from what I can tell, the only thing that makes vintage clothing vintage is when it was worn. Back in the day, folks wore what folks wore. "We" now look back on those fashions fondly and appreciate their timelessness. I don't think that in the moment, that was the case. If you search OFAS, you will also find "vintage" clothing from the 60's and 70's. Now we're talking the time I was there and I wasn't making a fashion statement, I was wearing the clothes that were available from wherever you bought clothing.

I like fedoras, but that's it. Don't own vintage suits, shoes, jackets, etc from the same era and don't intend to. For me, the full treatment is more like a costume, kinda like wearing cowboy, indy, surfer or musician apparel...but that's just me. I wouldn't wear a ballcap or tennis shoes with a suit and there are certain articles of clothing I don't wear a fedora with...but that's just me. As a fan of the hat, I think that if we truly want to see it regain some of it's lost popularity, it has to become a part of our everyday wear in '08, not as a period piece or formalwear. That's what it was back then and reading through the posts, it seems that's what it is for the majority of the Loungers.

Lion

New in Town
I've seen plenty of pictures from the 30's, 40's and 50's of people wearing fedoras with the casual wear of the time. Some of them posted on these boards. Why should today be any different?

Leo

ortega76

Practically Family
Dumbjaw said:
Fedoras are no longer synonymous with dressy. I'm aware that they were in their heyday, and I'm aware that this is a message forum focusing on vintage fashion, but the original poster asked the question in the context of this being 2008. Even more specifically, the question revolves around the Akubra Sydney, which is decidedly casual with its lower crown and thinner ribbon. Would I recommend wearing a homburg with a t-shirt and jeans? No. But a fedora? Of course! And an Akubra Sydney specifically? Well, I'd encourage it.

Agreed. I was really talking about two "extremes". While a t-shirt and fedora can look good together, I was thinking more of the ridiculous suit + balcap look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael