Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

...I took a recent trip to Chicago a little over a week ago for work...WHAT A CITY!!! I was in awe the whole time I was there...
I feel the same way every time my wife and I visit Chicago. She grew up in the suburbs south of the city, so we try to find an excuse to visit her family every two or three years (at least) and include a trip downtown. Wonderful photos A'n'A, thank you for sharing them!

Super City photos, A&A! Your Stetson IS a top shelf lid.

Had a woman approach me and ask about getting a photo of her wearing my hat last night. I thought of your experience last year...

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, all. I can definitely say that movies and pictures just don't capture the grand scale of the city of Chicago and individual street scenes. Only got to see 1/4 of Millennium Park. The silver jelly bean was cool, but I didn't have time to walk up to it. Ate lunch at Tavern at The Park; it was okay. I'm sure there are hundreds of incredible eats there.

My visit at Optimo was a mixed bag. The opportunity of being there was a major highlight of my trip, the store itself is luxurious and very masculine, but I was mildly put off with my experience. Graham makes an exquisite hat, which certainly demands the starting price of $600. His market is clearly willing to pay. The guy that was in the shop before me had just bought a $1,000 hat, for crying out loud! The service, however, was a different story.

The salesperson was indeed proud of what she sold, and for good reason, but I just don't think we connected. I'm wondering if she just felt that I knew nothing about hats. Maybe that's their customer, maybe not. That said, this is not a negative review of a high-class establishment, so I won't go into any further details. All in all, Graham is a World Class hatter, and he has done a spectacular job at creating a luxury brand, capable of lasting for many many years and hatting many many gentlemen.

For my own benefit, I took it all in as inspiration to develop my own hat making skills and renovations. Here's hoping. :thumb:

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Super City photos, A&A! Your Stetson IS a top shelf lid.

Had a woman approach me and ask about getting a photo of her wearing my hat last night. I thought of your experience last year...

LOL. At least she asked! :) Although my "lady" was incredibly attractive, her looks were totally overshadowed by her bad manners. The youths today!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Great pictorial of optimo! I'd love to get back to Chicago someday.

My new Wellington in the opposite of Chicago. ;)
On a quick call before a concert this evening.

Fedora. A field. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413859597550.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413859597550.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 151
The sun has been putting on a show this past week - lots of flares from the largest sunspot group in recent memory and a lovely partial solar eclipse that was visible across the entire US yesterday. I went down to the lakeshore to observe the eclipse at sunset.

solareclipse.jpg

102314.jpg

Earlier in the day I had a chance to tinker with some glorious high resolution data captured by a friend in AZ through a 9" telescope. I processed the data and added color - it appears as NASA's APOD today.

APOD102414.jpg

The dark center (umbra) of this spot is 3-4 earth diameters. You can get a sense of the scale in this picture from earlier in the week. If you think of the sun as a hollow ball, a million earths would fit inside.

101914_whitelight.jpg

Last edited:
Alan your work is astounding. I'm sure I speak for all of us in admiration of your curiosity and detail-driven approach to life. Thanks for showing us what you see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, you shed light! I only generate heat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy