Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras and beards

Berlin Buster

New in Town
johnnycanuck said:
My wife prefers me with facial hair and I am finally at a job that allows me to grow it. Does it go with a fedora? Hell yes. Any more then a clean shaved man? Hell no. In fact it also goes with a goatee, mutton shops, anything you want. That's just my opinion.
Johnny

As Johnny and those before and afterward have said! I too, have a beard, though I'm not particularly sure what style one would call it (perhaps Amish). I've noticed similar looks when wearing even a newsboy cap and my workclothes (heavy pants, suspenders, buttoned shirt). The whole appearance is made by the combination of well trimmed beard and good looking, non-ballcap hat.

Well, that, and my girlfriend is very partial to my beard, moreso than I, and it just DOES NOT look right if I do not sport one; at that point, even a fedora cannot save my appearance. ;-)

RedPop4

One Too Many
My stereotypical look with a fedora, in my mind's-eye, anyway, is much similar to the guy up there in the circle. Jaw of granite, clean-shaven, sharp aquiline nose, a visage that says tough and resolute.

In reality, I wear an imperial (goatee), and I believe I look pretty decent. My wife threatened me with divorce if I let so much as one long hair go unshaven. Then one day seven years in, she tells me to grow the imperial. Almost eight years later, she SAYS I can do what I want with it, however I think she'd not care for the result, and my children might not recognize me. My older son was only two and a half when I grew it, and my younger has never seen me clean-shaven.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
It's all about framing!

I have never seen a man with any sort of beard that didn't look good in a hat, except when the hat was poorly chosen. Of course, that can be said about a man without a beard, too. Like beards, hats say something about the one sporting it.

As for the bearded and portly wearing fedoras, homburgs, and such... I've noticed the trend, too. I think it has to do with the fact that most clothing available to the larger members of the population (I admit, I'm part of that crowd) does not lend itself to much self expression. Hats and facial hair both seem to be simple solutions.
NB

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well us real old guys got white beards...
DSC00002.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
One could go for the Howard Hughes around the world flight look. (Pre major crazy period)

HOWARD_HUGHES-783x439.jpg

Or, there's always the later Howard Hughes look, but the finger nails may scratch your hat. (Allegedly a retouched photo in Montreal 1972, or one of his doubles)

Hughes72.jpg

Russ

One of the Regulars
Hats and Beards, Gods and Generals

I finally saw the movie Gods and Generals last light, and was amazed at all the bearded men with hats, and there were so many hats! None that I would call a fedora (the term had not yet been coined in the 1860s) but lots of great hats. This is the movie to watch if you want to see lots of hats and beards but not so many cowboys. I find myself more drawn to the styles of this era than the golden age. And my next hat purchase will reflect this shift.

I had first heard of this movie on Voldemort's hat forum from one of the guys who was actually in the movies -- it's part of a Civil War trilogy. The third installment has apparently not been filmed yet.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
It's winter, and almost the time of year where someone says the magic words that get me in front of a camera. Circumstances like that lead inevitably to beard growth in my case, so take a look at the avatar (an early test from last month) and tell me what you think.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
jamespowers said:
Not bad at all. The beard is neatly trimmed.

RHB said:
I think you look fine Aaron, in fact that is a great looking hat you have on.
What is it?

Thanks guys. The hat is my favorite fedora. It's the Stetson Gaylord. It was made only last year and for one year. I don't know if they only made it the one year because it didn't sell well or because they had problems getting the same color between batches.

Doc said:
so take a look at the avatar (an early test from last month) and tell me what you think.

Doc, I say go for it. Looks great.

:eek:fftopic: Notice that crooked mouth. Wasn't like that until I got thrown off a horse a few years ago.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Aaron Hats said:
Doc, I say go for it. Looks great.

Thanks. Since a hat keeps my head warm during the winter, a little extra insulation round the chops seems like a good idea when the temperature drops.

Aaron Hats said:
:eek:fftopic: Notice that crooked mouth. Wasn't like that until I got thrown off a horse a few years ago.

I can sympathise there. My smile hasn't been the same since a couple of charming young fellows decided I'd look better with a brandy bottle implanted in my left cheek.

To quote Waldo Dobbs, "I think scar tissue looks manly and suggests character, don't you?" ;)

Russ

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
As said before a neatly trimed beard looks good.

I think ANY beard short of the big "bird's nest" type looks good, especially with a hat. If not in a fedora then at least in a pre-fedora style.

I will go so far as to say that I think every man ought to wear a hat because it makes good sense, and sport a nice healthy beard because it was not God's mistake to put it there in the first place. I think that opinion puts me into the smallest of minorities. :)

Here is me, bearded and comfortable, and shaven and feeling like a fish out of water.

beard_nobeard.jpg

Edited later: Did this native English speaker really say "here is me?" How embarrassing...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think a beard looks bad with a fedora. I am equally comfortable clean shaven or with a moustache or sporting a beard.
DSCN3071.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4262.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN3899.jpg
[/IMG]
or the nest
DSCN3917.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members