Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras in JAPAN

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
After some research I have found Japan`s premier hat manufacturer - Fedoras have a history going back to the Meiji period in Japan, when western clothing was introduced. As with all things in the early years, Japanese companies produced locally - often copying overseas ideas, and tailoring them to the Japanese physique. The last surviving hat maker is FUJIKOU

http://www.fujico-jp.com/english/product/index.htm

They make their own brand FUJII and a hat under license for a New York Hat maker - I think their site is AHAT something, with the hat brand a German sounding name. Name escapes me now.

All hats are avaliable at CA4LA (pronounced KA\SHI-LA), and they have a London Branch as well. CA4LA easily appears on any web search.

silvershadow

New in Town
Hats in Japan

Interesting website - they produce a lot of varied products.

I've been to Japan many times and have only once seen a man wear a hat. It was a westerner wearing a Homburg (my favourite hat), and I certainly did a double take! Since that trip last December, I've decided to start wearing my hats more regularly on my travels.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
KNOX

I`ve found out that the company is making KNOX hats under license to the A hat company...the quality and finish is like the 1920`s Knox`s. Yen 23,000 (USD 230)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I dont think that the hats are made in Japan. I went on their website and they mentioned that they have a sister company for hats in China called Lihua. This the the largest hat company in China today. They probably make the hats for Fuji.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

HungaryTom

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:
After some research I have found Japan`s premier hat manufacturer - Fedoras have a history going back to the Meiji period in Japan, when western clothing was introduced. As with all things in the early years, Japanese companies produced locally - often copying overseas ideas, and tailoring them to the Japanese physique. The last surviving hat maker is FUJIKOU

http://www.fujico-jp.com/english/product/index.htm

They make their own brand FUJII and a hat under license for a New York Hat maker - I think their site is AHAT something, with the hat brand a German sounding name. Name escapes me now.

All hats are avaliable at CA4LA (pronounced KA\SHI-LA), and they have a London Branch as well. CA4LA easily appears on any web search.

Daizawa,

Thank you for posting.

So there are no custom hatters in Japan? - Sorry to hear that.

I mean headgear is also part of the traditional Japanese costumes. Someone must produce them as well.
Another question from a monomaniac guy: how does Nippon stand with panama hats?
Are they popular there?
I am quite sure that some of your fellow countrymen have a faible for handmade things and value them according to the invested amount of masterwork put into them - Montecristi fino included.

Regards:

Tom

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Right! You can find the finest Panama hats at most department stores, as well as TORAYA, the meiji period established hat shop in Ginza. They also stock KNOX, made under license in Japan...

ghostdog

New in Town
Thanks for the follow-up info on japanese hatters daizawaguy, it's nice to get any information on hat history in asian countries. And Sefton's idea of getting pictures is great also. Perhaps you can find some links to some personal japanese websites/blogs with pictures of fellow Japanese hat lovers. Compared to other asian countries, I think Japan probably has a higher percentage of hat-wearers due to the culture there. I tried to do a search myself, but I don't know the kanji for 'fedora', 'hat lover' etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo