Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feedback on fit of Aero Board Racer?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For my taste minimally too long, at least in the back.
But otherwise top.
CXL... I've only had one CXL and wore it every day. Even on the train or car I kept them on. Always found them good to wear, even if I felt the weight in the neck. In my opinion, this is because the neck to shoulder angle is shallower than others. That's why some feel it and some don't. Because everyone is built differently.
Here is an old picture of my CXL.
E993DE3A-D10E-414F-A7F2-B28F3764E5B7.jpeg
8D678744-8CB7-404A-BC7E-AD619E00FB79.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
But otherwise top.
CXL... I've only had one CXL and wore it every day. Even on the train or car I kept them on. Always found them good to wear, even if I felt the weight in the neck. In my opinion, this is because the neck to shoulder angle is shallower than others. That's why some feel it and some don't. Because everyone is built differently.
View attachment 454905 View attachment 454906

I agree with you that it depends on body shape too, but IMO Aeros definitely are more likely to hang from the neck than any other jackets.
I have rarely seen that happen with a Vanson, or a Thedi, or a Lost Worlds.

To me these lines are seen on more Aeros than any other maker:

2kdsBBK.jpg

Last edited:

Manolito

Familiar Face
I gave up on my Aero Board Racer in jerky horsehide because of the neck problem. I remember having headaches at the end of the day after wearing it all day, the pinching on the back of the neck being really heavy, and the neck piece is so tough I don't think it would ever broke. I let that jacket go on Vinted (for the same price i bought it new, so no hard feelings !).

I have another Aero jacket much more confortable, the aero college in suede, but it is a very different leather and it does not have a leather collar piece !

I was not a fan of the super sturdy low back piece, but i could have dealt with it. The neck problem was a too big issue.

I can't speak for the other Aero Jackets but i never had such an issue with my 10+ other leather Jackets from Schott USA for instance...

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have to say that I have not noticed a problem with the neck/collar on any of my Aero jackets, with the exception of one cafe racer which is too tight for me to snap the throat closure.
I think it depends on the wearer's posture whether or not some of Aero's patterns are perceived to be uncomfortable. The more upright your posture, the more likely it will be that the collar will press against your neck.

A pattern that's comfortable for one doesn't necessarily have to be comfortable for another. Well thought through patterns will be comfortable for most people though.

I owned a CXL Aero Bird of Prey which was perfectly comfortable. The Highwayman, not so much.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I dunno man, i have been here since 2013, we have had this conversation multiple times already (literally the two of us!), you always say that Aero's are fine, i have always felt they hung from the neck, some people agree with me, some don't, not sure we need to go through this one more time...
It wouldn't be the first time I've forgotten about something.

I'm not trying to deny anyone else's experience or opinion on the matter.

But now that I am curious, I'm going to try on a few of my jackets and pay close attention to this over the next few days, and see if I notice it.

newtojackets

Practically Family
But otherwise top.
View attachment 454905 View attachment 454906
Looks incredible! Agree on the neck to shoulder angle, it seems the jacket would fit someone whose neck naturally leans a. Bit forward

newtojackets

Practically Family
One more question, the main zipper on the jacket barely seems to work. It’s gets stuck on the same area. Can I send this to Aero to get this repaired? How much does this usually cost?

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I’ve noticed the neck hang with the Aero board racer jackets, but it eventually eases up a bit, at least for me. I don’t notice it on other Aero patterns as much, except for a PHWM that was at least a size too small. I did own an original Buco J100 from the 60’s and it felt the exact same way on the neck. Perhaps it’s inherent with the racing shirt design in general? I agree with others that individual body shape plays a major role.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
One more question, the main zipper on the jacket barely seems to work. It’s gets stuck on the same area. Can I send this to Aero to get this repaired? How much does this usually cost?
If it is not a warranty case and they did it for free, I wouldn‘t know how much they charge. I have had zippers replaced by other local craftsmen and it usually was around 100 EUR, certainly not cheap.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I’ve had luck with graphite lube (used sparingly), or pencil lead to smooth out several different zips including very stubborn soft top zippers on Jeeps. Not sure if it’d work for you, but maybe worth a go before a replacement.

newtojackets

Practically Family
If it is not a warranty case and they did it for free, I wouldn‘t know how much they charge. I have had zippers replaced by other local craftsmen and it usually was around 100 EUR, certainly not cheap.
Do you know what the warranty period is? This jacket is just under 2 years

newtojackets

Practically Family
I’ve had luck with graphite lube (used sparingly), or pencil lead to smooth out several different zips including very stubborn soft top zippers on Jeeps. Not sure if it’d work for you, but maybe worth a go before a replacement.
Oh great, will give this a try

MaKos

New in Town
Just bought a used Aero Board Racer. This is my first non-mall leather jacket so what do you guys think, a keeper? (I believe it’s modified to make it longer than the average board racer but I don’t mind the length)

A few things I’ve noticed but heard this is fairly common for board racers / Aero:

1. Quite a bit of weight / pressure on the neck. I can probably deal with this by breaking in the collar

2. Extremely high armholes- impossible to wear this with anything long sleeved

3. Currently very stiff (was barely worn by previous owner)- this should become more comfortable with time right?

4. The back sticks out slightly (seen most obviously from the side where the jacket doesn’t contour with the lower back). How can I break in / mound the lower back of the jacket (as I’m assuming regular wear won’t break in this part)

Thanks I’m advance!

7fcf1dba-c98e-4b4d-8c45-b7182b6b8545-jpeg.454823
View attachment 454823 View attachment 454824 View attachment 454825 View attachment 454826 View attachment 454827
Hi All, have an Aero BR myself but in Vicenza HH rather than CXL since I figured it out would have been probably too stiff to handle (after having read lots on posts on this forum). Have had however same issue with collar initially been bit hard (some weight on neck) despite being a Vicenza. Regarding the jacket not contouring with the lower back, mine still does the same after some years of wearing (my built is quite similar to yours).

newtojackets

Practically Family
Ah thats a shame about the lower back contouring, would have been nice if it did slope inwards after break in

MaKos

New in Town
IMO depends on own built. Had my jacket wore by a friend of mine with just bit more weight and jacket was spot on on his back.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Candle wax should do the trick. Rub the candle stick up and down the zipper tracks. There’s gonna be some white wax residue, don’t freak out, keep going until the zipper is smooth. People might think you didnt use your head and shoulders for a few days. Warming the jacket up will let the wax residue seep into all the nooks and crannies.
Zippers can get stiff especially when after the jacket dries from getting wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff