Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Recommendations for a boot

I've read through some footwear threads on the board, and thought I would ask for some recommendations for new boots, since I have specific criteria in mind.

The last few years, I've been wearing boots from Magnum USA, which are extremely comfortable and long wearing, however they do tend to look a bit military, and I'm looking for something that may look more classical.

Ideally, I would like something I can wear with a suit, or with jeans and a t-shirt, that is waterproof or close to it(So I don't have to be too careful walking through snow or puddles here in NYC), and can slip on easily or has a sidezipper.

I was thinking something similar in appearance to what Gosling wears in Only God Forgives.

Any suggestions?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
No idea what movie that is, but if you are looking for rugged but dressy I'd suggest Viberg Service Boots on the 2030 last, or White's Semi-Dress (which will run you about $300+ less than Vibergs and are completely made to spec). Not meant as a knock on Alden's, Oak Street Bootmakers, and similar, but White's and Vibergs make a dressy work boot, rather than a rugged dress boot (which is what it sounds like you're looking for). Well, that's my dos pesos

mattface

Practically Family
I like cap toed jump boots like these Corcorans. They are still quite military, but look a lot more classic. You can get them with Vibram soles, and a side zip that make them easy to get in and out of. definitely not dressy enough to go with a suit, but shy of that they are an excellent year-round casual boot.

If you want something you can wear with a suit, you're probably looking for something more along the lines of Allen Edmonds Long Branch, or Promontory Point boot. They still have rubber soles, but look a lot dressier than a combat boot.

Another great alternative would be something like a Wolverine 1000 Mile though the leather soles are not ideal for winter, or Redwing Beckmans. Both definitely work boot styled, but classic, and very nice looking for casual outfits, but not suitable as dress boots.

mattface

Practically Family
No idea what movie that is

Me neither, but google image search to the rescue. re these what you mean Muyjingo?
Ryan-Gosling-sighting-on-set-of-Only-God-Forgives-in-Thailand-033.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got a pair of Frye's Rand Lace-up boots for Christmas. These things (I'm wearing them as I write) are solid as a rock, made in the US, and will last forever. My wife got a pair 20 years ago and has had them resoled once, and they looked as good as new. I think there's a current prejudice for the IR's right now, but when I compared the boots I went with the Frye's. I should add that I'm prejudiced too, as I've been wearing their Jackson Engineers in both black and brown for the last several years, and I'm sold on them

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Ahh good ol Google; and to think I was scurrying through my volume of Encyclopedia Britanica's from 1979 :p

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
+1 on the Frye's recommendation. I still wear my Frye black label harness boots from the 1970's.

I have two pairs of rand engineers and I love them. They make two types, the original and the grainy leather. I have both and I prefer the originals in brown and the grainy in black.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Yup, exactly. I should have included a pic in my OP. Here is a closeup:

only-god-forgives-boots-ryan-gosling.jpg

Thanks guys, will check out the recommendations.

I think what you are looking for are "High top shoes" What Mr. Gosling is wearing in this photo are not what I call boots... Price will be a big factor (as always) once you set your budget, someone here can point you in the right direction... take a look at wolverine 1000 mile collection or the heritage line from chippewa to start

mattface

Practically Family
FWIW I don't care for the squared off, thin wrinkly toe on that Gosling boot at all, but if that's what you're looking for you haven't received a single recommendation yet. Most everything mentioned so far has a very rounded toe, and Frye harness boots have a very defined square toe.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would recommend Frye and Redwing...

IMO Redwing are better quality than Frye, but a bit more expensive.

If you are looking for something like in that photo, but in the price range of the magnums, try stacy adams. If you want something a little more rugged (which, like most options presented here, will not look particularly appropriate with a suit) try thorogood, they won't break the bank either.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have Viberg boots, four pairs of Wescos, and a pair of White's dress toe boots. I also have a pair of Allen Edmonds dress boots.
I think what you are looking for is something like the Allen Edmonds. The Whites would do, too, but they are real boots - a lot
heavier than what that guy has on in the movie. I have the Dalton Wingtip Dress Boots. You might prefer the Promontory Point boots.
Have a look on their site. I don't fit in the Wolverines (not wide enough), so I can't speak to them, but they are popular. BTW, Allen Edmonds
has both of those boots on sale right now: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Sale_1_40000000001_-1_______132809_subcategory?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I think what you are looking for are "High top shoes" What Mr. Gosling is wearing in this photo are not what I call boots... Price will be a big factor (as always) once you set your budget, someone here can point you in the right direction... take a look at wolverine 1000 mile collection or the heritage line from chippewa to start

Technically, I believe anything that covers the ankle is a boot; below the ankle, it is a shoe. That said, I see exactly what you are getting at here. "Dress boots" are definitely what you should be looking for. These look less retro-classical and more modern-fashion to me, so I'd be looking at the likes of Jeffrey West, Patrick Cox, and the likes. When is the film set? Stills from it look to be pretty current?

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Technically, I believe anything that covers the ankle is a boot; below the ankle, it is a shoe. That said, I see exactly what you are getting at here. "Dress boots" are definitely what you should be looking for. These look less retro-classical and more modern-fashion to me, so I'd be looking at the likes of Jeffrey West, Patrick Cox, and the likes. When is the film set? Stills from it look to be pretty current?

It's set in modern day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24