Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Robert C, Feb 3, 2006.

1. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, Sheepdog. Where'd you find those boots? I had a pair decades ago that I found at an Army/Navy in N.J. that, if I remember correctly, were from a South American army (don't remember which). They were great boots and lasted for years.

2. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Practically Family

Hey Bob, hope all is well sir. I got them on eBay a while back. They were advertised as French Foreign Legion boots, from the '50s-'60s - but I don't know how accurate that is. Honestly, they are the most durable and comfortable boots I have ever had the good fortune of owning. I can wear them all day, like sneakers They're built like a Sherman Tank man!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    tropicalbob likes this.
  3. Yahoody

Yahoody A-List Customer

[​IMG]
    Honcho, and Don Ricardo.

4. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

Viberg Service Boots paired with deadstock socks from 1944:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bluesmandan

bluesmandan One of the Regulars

A new pair of White’s semi dress. The first couple of days are hell when breaking them in. Actually I didn’t break the boots in, they broke my feet in. My formerly flat feet now have an arch. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

"It's better to look fabulous than feel good. And you, my friend are looking marvelous!"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    GLewis and andy b. like this.
  7. andy b.

andy b. One of the Regulars

I don't recall seeing this question here, but who knows , I may have asked it here myself at some point . LOL
    How often, if ever, do you strip the old build-up of conditioner/wax from your boots? If you do occasionally strip the old build-up, what do you use?

What prompted this question is a pair of Nick's boots I have . They are a little over two years old and I recently had them resoled. All I ever use on them is Obenauf's, and for several months I worked and hiked on a small volcanic island in the Atlantic. I only treated the boots sparingly and brushed them off every day. Over time they developed a build-up of oil and dust, and I think I should strip them somehow. I don't think acetone or some harsh chemical should be used.

Any advice?

Andy

8. bluesmandan

Clean with Saddlesoap. Let dry. Condition with obenaufs. Done.

9. andy b.

Will saddle soap actually remove the old build-up? Do I need to use a stiff bristle brush, or an old rag, or???
    I never used saddle soap before.

10. bluesmandan

Wet rag or a tooth brush... use light pressure so as not to ruin the finish if they are shiny shoes. Not a stiff bristle. Soft.

andy b. and Short Balding Guy like this.
  11. andy b.

Thanks! I will try this tomorrow .

12. Dickie Teenie

Dickie Teenie A-List Customer

Wesco is announcing the first of their 100 Anniversary models in the next few weeks, sounds like it's going to be pre orders for a pretty limited time frame.
    Time to think about cleaning out my closet.

13. andy b.

Thanks! I just want to say this worked much better than I expected. The saddle soap did in fact strip off the layer of old wax and dirt. I can't really call it wax, because Obenauf's LP isn't really a wax as most people think of wax.

14. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

7E834DAF-8AEB-41A7-B95A-CF824456D928.jpeg FF422D22-FCE2-43E2-87C0-17615B65B6F6.jpeg 6705CC52-F732-473F-B32B-1EDDD907F0A3.jpeg 2821ED90-19A4-4BFA-B312-6A17ADFDE8B2.jpeg 175612AA-C7E2-4222-8B25-AD1FCB911CD7.jpeg Greetings All:
    No idea if this is the right thread for these, if not then give em the boot!!
    Never worn, never laced, Uncle Sam’s pre-black combat boots. Russet brown, cap toe, by Doyle Shoe Co. 1955. You gotta love a boot that has metal lace ends! I’ll never get rid of these puppies.
    Be well. Bowen

GLewis, AeroFan_07, Bushman and 6 others like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Greetings Regius et al:
    Ouch, total bummer. That chip is no big deal but those cracks look scary. I kicked plenty chips in combats and sealed em with Kiwi polish. We covered many a cut, chip etc. with just polish and spit shine. Enough spit and polish fills in and smooths nicely. Nice enough to pass Marine Corps standards so...They knew how to break em in in record time too!!
    Good luck. Be well. Bowen

16. A-1

A-1 One Too Many

Service boots paired with 1949 US Air Force pants:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat and BobHufford like this.
  17. breezer

breezer Practically Family

gave my Danner Boots ( Acadia ) a good clean today and contemplated the 20+ years of service they have given me.....I don't wear them all the time, only when conditions require them....they have been resoled once, and are still in superb condition. The best money I ever spent on footwear & still plenty of life left in 'em. Recommended.

18. bluesmandan

‘Bout got the White’s good and broken in...[​IMG]

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  19. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

Nicks. Easily some of the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

20180306_101113_resized.jpg

20. bluesmandan

The semi dress dressed up for the office. They just look like nice oxfords with a pair of good trousers. Fairly versatile, I think. [​IMG]

andy b., A-1, AbbaDatDeHat and 3 others like this.