Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hat basics

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Okay, question time!

The westernwear store I've been buying hat sponges at just switched what they have in stock. They used to sell a very fine pored grey rubber-y one, which I like and used a lot.
Now, the stock a coarse, orange one, made of some soft plastic-y material.

They're both hat sponges, but what's the difference?

Canadave

One Too Many
bumping

...for an expert to answer. They are very different, but hard for me to explain. (Almost like coarse and fine sandpaper.)

Anyone??

David

Dinerman said:
Okay, question time!

The westernwear store I've been buying hat sponges at just switched what they have in stock. They used to sell a very fine pored grey rubber-y one, which I like and used a lot.
Now, the stock a coarse, orange one, made of some soft plastic-y material.

They're both hat sponges, but what's the difference?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
More info on fit for those with marks on their heads.

Problem is that hatters don't make blocks for our specific heads. Back in the old days there were blocks for stars and they were custom yes... though that much custom is too costly (and questionably useful) for the time hatters have to make a modern hat., and when they sew in the sweat they tend to sew it in following where the felt lies. They do change the shape here and there to make the fit better... I have a German oval head (square forehead) with a bump on the right and I have had hatter corrct for that, though all in all if the felt isn't soft enough and the leather sweat is too stiff I'll feel it too much on my head. Alot of the difference is in the sweatband used. I prefer a rubber band feel. Kangaroo leather would be great though only a couple hatters use Kangaroo... not even Akubra uses roo.

In the end you may need to just wear the hat around and let the band soak in some sweat and let the leather break in. And if that doesn't work go a hare bigger in size.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Matt, Great point! The only sure fire way to make a hat "feel right" is to wear it. I've taken to wearing a hat every day. This includes the three minutes it takes to walk to the the office, and just about whenever I'm driving the car. Even in our air-conditioned world, there are plenty of opportunities to wear a hat.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I've got a gray fedora, modern make, not a real expensive hat but sharp-enough looking when I bought it. The only problem is, the brim is getting sort of curly and shapeless. Is there anything much I can do about that? I do now store all my hats on their crowns (or on wall hooks), and my vintage and other modern hats are holding their desired shape well. Although I will be upgrading my gray hat selection as time goes on, I don't want to consign this one to the fiery pit without need. It could still have use as a weekend option even after I've got better hats in its color. Any suggestions?

Patrick Murtha said:
The only problem is, the brim is getting sort of curly and shapeless.
The problem may have a couple of sources. If a furfelt hat, some modern hats are shaped with a modecum of shellac in them to keep their shape much like modern cowboy hats. They have a stiff almost cardboard feel to them. If so the softness is from the shellac breaking up. (If a good made furfelt hat, that would sort of be a good thing, if it held it's shape.) Since it is losing its shape, Cowboy Hat Stiffener might be the problem solver here, replacing the shattered shellac shaping.

However if the felt is good you may be able to get by with a ''CLean & Block" where the blocking / flanging can reshape the brim to the correct curve.

If it is wool felt, I don't know if it can be refurbished easily.

cleaning sponge

Does anyone have a line on the white/off white sponges for cleaning hats? I have looked high and low and to no avail. I did find a manufacture of the foam rubber used to make them, but they sell only to a wholesaler.:(
The only other choice I found is make-up sponges, a little to small.
Help?
SoaP

Feraud

Bartender
SonOfaPreacher said:
Does anyone have a line on the white/off white sponges for cleaning hats? I have looked high and low and to no avail. I did find a manufacture of the foam rubber used to make them, but they sell only to a wholesaler.:(
The only other choice I found is make-up sponges, a little to small.
Help?
SoaP
Did you do a search of any of the online hat shops? I know I have seen them for sale.

yellow sponges

All I have found so far from most hat shops are some new fangled yellow, big pored sponge. Not to sure it would be the right thing for my hats, any one out there with such a sponge? If so what is your experience with such a sponge.
SoaP

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I believe Steve Delk (Adventurebilt) uses a fleece sponge. That sort of thing is fairly easy to find with shoe polishing accessories, and cheap.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Just a thought!!

Though I do respect the notion that some hats may require a trip to a professional, I also think I agree with the notion expressed above that you can do a lot of it yourself.

As to sponges, I've found all of the types mentioned (orange/plasticy, white spongy, yellow) to work but the touch with each is a little different. Coarser means lighter and slower- you aren't sanding wood and it isn't a race! If you are dealing with a cowboy hat, you can scrub- they are made that way; harder to damage. But softer Fedoras I'd limit myself to brushes (soft and specifically designed for hats!) and be gentle.

Make sure anything you spray or put on a hat is made for that type- a lot of cleaners etc are for cowboy hats! Every mistake I've made with a hat has been because I got in a hurry not because I didn't know how to do it. ;) BTW- I'm not intending to contradict airforceindy. I'd just start with hat brushes which are all softer- after experience I don't see much difference in crown brushes and some shoe brushes (except, as he said, cost!). But all the crown brushes I've seen were soft and *some* shoe brushes are too coarse, imho, for beginning with.

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Stains in wool hats!

What about liquid stains in wool hats? I don't know if it is soda, roof leaks or what. Not real bad, but enough color to notice. If they can't be removed I may go the Rit dye routine. Does naptha work on wool. I don't want to destroy the hats yet, but am planning on rebuilding and adding brim ribbon as a learning project before tackling my Western conversions.

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn