Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felts / Capelines contact in Colombia or South America

Zaid

New in Town
Hi Everybody,

I've just joined this group and am pretty new to hatmaking. I've been wearing hats for a long time but recently after delving into a rabbit hole of custom felt hats, I've decided that this is a skill and art that I would like to master in order to make them for me and friends.

I started playing around with shaping hats a few months ago and have now acquired the tools to start making them from scratch. I recently moved to Medellin, Colombia, and wanted to know if anybody knows a contact to get good quality felt capelines in this proximity.

I would truly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you
Zaid

Hi Everybody,

I've just joined this group and am pretty new to hatmaking. I've been wearing hats for a long time but recently after delving into a rabbit hole of custom felt hats, I've decided that this is a skill and art that I would like to master in order to make them for me and friends.

I started playing around with shaping hats a few months ago and have now acquired the tools to start making them from scratch. I recently moved to Medellin, Colombia, and wanted to know if anybody knows a contact to get good quality felt capelines in this proximity.

I would truly appreciate any assistance.

Thank you
Zaid
Distributors are loathe to say exactly where they obtain their felts. There is a fur felt manufacturer somewhere in your part of the world as a felt seller out of Australia was planning on adding the South American product to their offering but did not say from where. Sunrise Nutria uses a SAmerican factory for their Nutria felts but it may be their own factory. I use American beaver, Ukraine & Czech Republic rabbit/hare felts.

Zaid

New in Town
Distributors are loathe to say exactly where they obtain their felts. There is a fur felt manufacturer somewhere in your part of the world as a felt seller out of Australia was planning on adding the South American product to their offering but did not say from where. Sunrise Nutria uses a SAmerican factory for their Nutria felts but it may be their own factory. I use American beaver, Ukraine & Czech Republic rabbit/hare felts.

Yeah, that's what Ive come to realize but thought there's no harm in asking.

Worth & Worth and others have had some of their hats made in Colombia. I’m not sure who made it, but aside from the proportions and the shape of the blocks the hats were quite nice. The felt was rabbit, but it was dense, soft, and easily shaped. I’d like to have a properly proportioned fedora made for the felt I’ve handled.

43FB2EB0-7D78-4F4D-A929-9EC82BBC16F9.jpeg

There are factories in your part of the world. Might just take a bit of detective work to find them. Check each countries Export Ministry or Small Business Development Dep't to see if they can help. I had thought of doing that but decided I am content with my US & European suppliers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana