Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fervent champion of Timorese - RIP Paddy Kenneally, 1916-2009

mclmm

New in Town
RIP Paddy.

Paddy was part of Sparrow Force, an Australian Independent Coy which fought a tough guerrilla war against Japanese occupying forces in Portuguese Timor. The Aussie commandos were helped mightily by the local Timorese, so it's not a surprise that Paddy Kenneally was an ardent supporter of East Timorese independence.

Aussie army film maker, Damien Parer (of Kokoda Frontline fame) made a newsreel following the exploits of Sparrow Force.

You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nql3fIKZ9BI

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars

Hi,
Today I have on my WWII Impressions Low Quarter Service Boots. I have on my WWII Khaki Trousers with the Zinc US Army Buttons. I am wearing my Vintage Wool military socks. I have on a button up collared shirt (non military). I have my WWII wallet. I am wearing my WWII ID Bracelet. I am wearing my WWII AII Hack Watch made by Elgin. I am also wearing my WWII US Army Sterling ring. I have my WWII Grandfathers Dog Tags under my shirt, with my WWII Catholic St. Christopher medal attached. I also have a CAMP CROFT US Army Round medal attached to the dog tag chain as well.
I also have my Repro A-2 flight Jacket on the back of my office chair (I wore this into work today). I also have my WWII Aviators sunglasses that I brought it, it was a little foggy this morning, so i couldnt wear them, but I should be able to around lunch time.
I will try to post some pictures. As I have previously stated, I wear my WWII clothes at least 3-4 times a week. I am not joking. I love the clothes, and I will always wear them.
Thanks

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Timorese who saved Diggers

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ho-saved-diggers/story-e6frg6z6-1225902728642

An interesting contrast here -

Corporal Jack Maley was manning an observation post above East Timor's Same valley in late 1942 when he and his mate Tom Foster spotted a distressed girl being chased by an Australian soldier. They were situated about 800m or more from the girl and her pursuer became immediately alarmed.

At 32, Maley was one of the older men in the 2/2 Company, and the tall, square-jawed farmer from the fringe of the wheat belt east of Geraldton in Western Australia was a gentleman through and through.

The soldier from Maley's A Platoon was too far away to be apprehended, nor would he hear Maley if he tried to call out, so Maley exercised the only option he had available.

Armed with a powerful Bren machinegun mounted on a bipod, Maley swung the gun towards the soldier and fired a burst of carefully aimed rounds right over his head.

From the extreme range any ordinary soldier might well have missed and hit the pursuing soldier by accident, but the powerfully built Maley was one of the best marksmen in the 2/2 Company. The bullets passed right over the head of the miscreant, close enough to stop him dead in his tracks. The chase was over.

In saving the girl Maley had ignored an instruction not to open fire in the valley at that time, and he later had to explain his actions to his commanding officer, David Dexter.

By comparison, the conduct of the Japanese could not have been worse.

Shortly after arriving in the colony the Japanese rounded up young girls, many of them as young as 12, and forced them to work in as many as 15 comfort stations around the country. This policy was often aided by village chiefs, who were acting under duress and often found their palatial huts turned into comfort stations.

The Portuguese governor, de Carvalho, who feared that Portuguese women would be targeted by the Japanese, also supplied Timorese women to the Japanese. De Carvalho ordered prostitutes who had fled Dili to be brought back so they could serve the Japanese. He called this a lesser of two evils.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley