Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers Bespoke - what should I expect?

Carsonius

New in Town
@Carsonius I hope we didn't scare you off.

You did ask for our honest thoughts
Scared, no. Dissuaded, somewhat. I understand this is an expectation meets reality kinda thing, but I was hoping for more than the general "no don't, find out through multiple used jackets". Be it Greg or not, I still have no input on what to look for, what questions to ask, etc., other than to try used. To me, I figured that was the whole point in his "Bespoke" option, which, as of this post anyway, is still an available purchasing option on his site. I understand a cotton mock-up is not the final jacket I wear into the afterlife, absolutely. Whether he and I can work that out into a product that will work for me, his ability and willingness to do, that I would like to know. That is why I'm mostly willing to afford jumping straight into the deep end like this.

To be clear, I'm not trying to build a custom one-off jacket with him, I just want one of his original designs made to my measurements. It doesn't also HAVE to be Greg, I just happen to be drawn to him for the fact that he does everything himself, is a small business yet, is nearly the same age as me and to the best of my understanding prefers a jacket that should sit fit and trim on its wearer. All of which I strongly resonant with.

This jacket would see slight motorcycle use, yes. Given that I'm trying to spend some money, I use the word "slight". Kept to a minimum, but not impossible. I'll also add I'm more tall than I am thick, lean and mean. For a long sleeve shirt I would fit a medium best in the body, but a large in the sleeves, if that makes sense. Medium width, large length.

I know I'm a leather jacket person because I just do, I know myself well enough. No different than how I knew I'd be a motorcyclist from childhood, and sure enough am in adulthood. I just had to graduate to it, I guess similar to what I'm trying to do here. Not to the extent where I have 10 jackets in my closet, or the willingness to spend money on jackets I know I won't keep: that I am trying to mitigate as much as possible.

Not that I'm ignoring the consensus, however. I couldn't. I certainly hear what you're all saying. I can get over not going to Greg, but not so much the investment in time and multiple jackets to find out, in my opinion anyway, the hardest way possible. I don't mind putting in work, but it's gotta be the right kind of work. Hopefully we can reach a compromise?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scared, no. Dissuaded, somewhat. I understand this is an expectation meets reality kinda thing, but I was hoping for more than the general "no don't, find out through multiple used jackets". Be it Greg or not, I still have no input on what to look for, what questions to ask, etc., other than to try used. To me, I figured that was the whole point in his "Bespoke" option, which, as of this post anyway, is still an available purchasing option on his site. I understand a cotton mock-up is not the final jacket I wear into the afterlife, absolutely. Whether he and I can work that out into a product that will work for me, his ability and willingness to do, that I would like to know. That is why I'm mostly willing to afford jumping straight into the deep end like this.

To be clear, I'm not trying to build a custom one-off jacket with him, I just want one of his original designs made to my measurements. It doesn't also HAVE to be Greg, I just happen to be drawn to him for the fact that he does everything himself, is a small business yet, is nearly the same age as me and to the best of my understanding prefers a jacket that should sit fit and trim on its wearer. All of which I strongly resonant with.

This jacket would see slight motorcycle use, yes. Given that I'm trying to spend some money, I use the word "slight". Kept to a minimum, but not impossible. I'll also add I'm more tall than I am thick, lean and mean. For a long sleeve shirt I would fit a medium best in the body, but a large in the sleeves, if that makes sense. Medium width, large length.

I know I'm a leather jacket person because I just do, I know myself well enough. No different than how I knew I'd be a motorcyclist from childhood, and sure enough am in adulthood. I just had to graduate to it, I guess similar to what I'm trying to do here. Not to the extent where I have 10 jackets in my closet, or the willingness to spend money on jackets I know I won't keep: that I am trying to mitigate as much as possible.

Not that I'm ignoring the consensus, however. I couldn't. I certainly hear what you're all saying. I can get over not going to Greg, but not so much the investment in time and multiple jackets to find out, in my opinion anyway, the hardest way possible. I don't mind putting in work, but it's gotta be the right kind of work. Hopefully we can reach a compromise?
Good luck.
As we all know, some things you just have to try out for yourself. The well-intentioned advice of others is often of little help. And that's okay.

Aloysius

Again, I'm a happy customer of Greg, but I think you're missing one of the points we're making.

You seem to be taking it as "don't start out with the high end because you don't know what you'll like yet". This isn't quite it. It's more that the newer operations haven't honed their patterns as much as the places that have been working on their jackets for quite a while. They'll get there, but they're not there yet.

A 'compromise' (not that I think their jackets are lesser) might be Aero? Their jackets are built by one machinist, start to finish.

If you go through Thurston Bros in Seattle (a US based dealer of Aero), you'll benefit from their fit jacket process which can help ensure you get something that works. Furthermore, Carrie from Thurston is a motorcyclist herself and their shop used to be a motorcycle gear shop before it sadly burned down in a fire. They are dealers of Aero, Thedi, and Vanson–all of which are excellent choices.

There are jackets that, with an unlimited budget, I would get from Aero over more expensive alternatives. Likewise with Vanson and Schott. Point being, we're not even trying to get you to save money or compromise, even.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
To me, I figured that was the whole point in his "Bespoke" option, which, as of this post anyway, is still an available purchasing option on his site.
Like said, Greg is still fine tuning his patterns. A truly good basic pattern will fit and look good on a lot of people. Greg's patterns are not there yet imo.

His bespoke option is still his standard pattern but you'll be allowed to make small adjustments like a wider shoulder or more taper towards the waist. I wanted a wider upper sleeve. I was told no because that meant he had to change to arm hole and as a result change a lot of other things as well. Serious pattern work he could not or was not willing to do.

More established makers like
Schott Vanson or Johnson Leathers (just to name a few) have basic patterns that are tweaked to perfection. They will fit and look good on a lot of people. No bespoke (custom) needed. And if you do want to customize your pattern, Vanson and Johnson Leathers know how to do it, proper pattern work. You don't need to know what questions to ask, they know what to do.

I'm not saying Greg can't make you a good fitting jacket, just don't expect too much of his bespoke option. There are other makers who are better at that.

I can get over not going to Greg, but not so much the investment in time and multiple jackets to find out, in my opinion anyway, the hardest way possible.
Get a jacket from a skilled pattern maker like Theodoros (Thedi Leathers). I bought my first custom jacket from them. I had no clue how a jacket was supposed to fit or what my measurements were, they took care of that. That jacket is still one of my best fitting jackets.

Carsonius

New in Town
If you go through Thurston Bros in Seattle (a US based dealer of Aero), you'll benefit from their fit jacket process which can help ensure you get something that works. Furthermore, Carrie from Thurston is a motorcyclist herself and their shop used to be a motorcycle gear shop before it sadly burned down in a fire. They are dealers of Aero, Thedi, and Vanson–all of which are excellent choices.

I like the sound of this, thank you. I will absolutely look into this. This is probably what I should have been asking about in the first place. Took a bit of discourse to get there but it's a step on the path.

I can acknowledge the youth of Greg's business too, it would make sense that he doesn't have his basic patterns dialed in yet compared to someone else who's been in the game for years and years.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the waiting time will make you crazy, but if you want something specifically Field leather's style, I think he has great collar shape and snug blazer like fit is my impression of FL and if you plan to just go with "the one" jacket then you go where your heart says. however if you just want to get a made to size kind of "bespoke" there are many makers to choose

El Marro

Or if possible, go in person to JL in San Francisco. Work it out with them- fit, measurements, hide, etc. if you really are a one-jacket guy, this may be the way if you are starting from the beginning of it all.
I wanted to revive this post because I think it is another solid option now that we are talking about custom options other than Field Leathers. Their website is a mess but their Instagram page should give a pretty good idea what they are capable of.
I would suggest calling them on the phone to get the ball rolling. These guys have a number of stock models that they can tweak and modify to fit your style. Their patterns are top notch.

I wanted to revive this post because I think it is another solid option now that we are talking about custom options other than Field Leathers. Their website is a mess but their Instagram page should give a pretty good idea what they are capable of.
I would suggest calling them on the phone to get the ball rolling. These guys have a number of stock models that they can tweak and modify to fit your style. Their patterns are top notch.

Yessir. And almost limitless options for hides. Not that I feel it is necessary for those with experience but if starting off in this hobby one can go in person and they will get the measurements dead-on balls accurate for the preferred fit and style of jacket. Even including airfare, it may be less than where FL ends up. I just wait until my job requires a trip to SF to visit JL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner