Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers modded Idaho in Brown Shinki

borisna

A-List Customer
Good evening gents!

Got my modded Idaho today from Greg, and I like it a lot :D

Some history - I reached out to Greg about 2 months ago to make an Idaho in a Full Aniline Brown Shinki. Sadly due to the company he used to make the pattern, making his size 40 actually a 42, that jacket measurements came out a size bigger than what I asked for. Greg offered me either a full refund or a new jacket, I went with a new jacket. After the new batch of Shinki arrived, Greg told me he is not happy with the leather, as it was mismatched, and he wants to make a perfect jacket, nothing less. After some back and forth we decided to try out the his Pigment finish Brown Shinki.

Here is the order:
Idaho in Brown Shinki (Pigment finish)
Snap button cuffs
3" leather strip on inside bottom hem
1 inside chest pocket on left side
Angled outside chest pocket
Olive cotton drill lining
Brown thread stitching

I have to admit, when I first put the jacket on, I got scared as hell, as it felt very tight. But now after a couple of hours wearing it, it molded to me a bit and feels much better now, cant wait to break it in more!

The craftsmanship is top notch, and as for materials, besides Greg going with Shinki and at a price point I can afford, another thing I noticed straight away, is that the zipper is extremely smooth, so much better than the ones I had with Aero.

Greg is a pleasure to work with, and him putting up the progress pics on his Instagram and Facebook, its so much fun seeing your jacket made in real time!
I asked Greg if I can post the progress pics from my jacket here, he said yes :)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rluhc2ioencxbju/AAAW8ntVzoC4L-85caF7tfSta

And finally some pics I took today, not the best light, I promise to post more!!

IMG-2107.jpg
IMG-2116.jpg
IMG-2149.jpg
IMG-2183.jpg

Cornelius

Practically Family
That jacket looks like perfection, well done to both you and this Greg character.

Looks great. I prefer a pigment finish to aniline, so in my eyes, I think you received a perfect jacket.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between pigment finish & aniline shinki HH?
(or was there a thread already addressing this which I missed?)

borisna

A-List Customer
Looks great. I prefer a pigment finish to aniline, so in my eyes, I think you received a perfect jacket.
This is my first experience with pigment finish, but up until now my preference was to see the natural character of the leather, and a layer of paint finish hides it.
Why do you prefer pigment?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
That jacket looks like perfection, well done to both you and this Greg character.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between pigment finish & aniline shinki HH?
(or was there a thread already addressing this which I missed?)

A pigment finish is basically a thin layer of paint over the tanned hide. It will eventually rub off, displaying the original leather color.
An aniline finish is missing that layer of paint, so you can see the original texture of the hide, including the odd scarring, hair follicles etc.

Arguably, with an aniline finish you would expect to have a “better hide”, as there is no way of hiding imperfections, but this is of course a matter of personal preference. One may well be inclined to view exactly these “imperfections” as signs of character.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This is my first experience with pigment finish, but up until now my preference was to see the natural character of the leather, and a layer of paint finish hides it.

Congratulations! Beautiful piece and a great fit.

Colin G

One Too Many

Sorry, but I am mixing up pigment vs semi-aniline so my bad. I should have checked my facts before posting.

I prefer smoother looking leathers with a more uniform finish that don't mark too easily like aniline can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ