Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers "The Michigan"

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Some more pictures outside. Very slight downward angle, so the proportions are marginally off.

87A01F2A-6BF6-450B-B254-C333DCF1AEB6.jpeg

65952E9A-D8F7-47EA-9CFA-7FF8B961691C.jpeg

AA480FA1-F0B8-4AB3-8020-1B945A4906DE.jpeg

B162F3FC-98DE-481B-9597-EBBD3ADA7428.jpeg

11308094-56F6-4F8C-9E50-5C9AC2D543D1.jpeg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
All I can say to that is, I feel I got very good value for money with this jacket.
I wanted the blue Shinki, so there was really no other option available for me. Shinki is always expensive and most makers are japanese OTR manufacturers. Prices are usually higher than what I paid.
Himel offers great jackets, of course but at top prices too. Thedi is very nice (and very Special), and the prices are slightly above Field Leathers too. LW easily surpasses FL as well, and that is not including custom.

Bottom Line (and this is really just my personal view): You can’t get a Shinki-jacket substantially cheaper if you are set on this hide.
With Greg you get classic patterns (that he is willing to tweak to your preferences) and superb craftsmanship.
Aero is slightly cheaper at entry-level, but they use totally different leathers. I will always be a big fan of both Aero (as a jacket maker as well as as people) and Horween CXL, but it is a different product IMO.

I understand your thinking. Whether a jacket is very good value for money is subjective, particularly when it comes to high craft jackets like this. Looks like you're very happy with it which is the goal. It's a pretty thing.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the cusp of ordering my own navy Field jacket and I’ve been very curious about how yours has been wearing in over the past three years. Rare to see an “evolution” pic of this hide.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
On the cusp of ordering my own navy Field jacket and I’ve been very curious about how yours has been wearing in over the past three years. Rare to see an “evolution” pic of this hide.

I will dig it out over the weekend and do some update pictures. It hasn’t seen much wear during the last months as I can’t really layer with it, but I did wear it pretty regularly over the summer.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Some updated pictures. Lighting is so-so, but it’s not gonna change soon, so I gave it a go.
As to evo, the blue colour has lost a bit of its initial shine, but not to the extent that Horweens blue CXL dulls. It’s still blue only somewhat subdued. The light blue stitching has darkened, as was to be expected.

The leather is holding up quite well, despite a fair share of adverse weather. It seems the topcoat is pretty tough, so there’s no teacore or chipping off at wear points.

If I was to do it again, I‘d have an inch more at the bottom. It also seems that the pattern thinks, I should have a tad more shoulder width relative to my waist. Yeah, well, not gonna happen any more…

F7D815E1-38F9-40DD-BE98-71127E45540B.jpeg
602102C0-A0B7-4BC1-9343-8A597550A736.jpeg
BA75FEEE-5D18-4141-A791-9348D2CEBC24.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some updated pictures. Lighting is so-so, but it’s not gonna change soon, so I gave it a go.
As to evo, the blue colour has lost a bit of its initial shine, but not to the extent that Horweens blue CXL dulls. It’s still blue only somewhat subdued. The light blue stitching has darkened, as was to be expected.

The leather is holding up quite well, despite a fair share of adverse weather. It seems the topcoat is pretty tough, so there’s no teacore or chipping off at wear points.

If I was to do it again, I‘d have an inch more at the bottom. It also seems that the pattern thinks, I should have a tad more shoulder width relative to my waist. Yeah, well, not gonna happen any more…

View attachment 503576 View attachment 503575 View attachment 503574

I missed this reply at the time but it looks better than ever, and like the hide holds up pretty well to some water (because of the pigment finish I assume?)

The stitch shade almost gives the effect of beads of leather crossing the jacket. Fantastic.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I missed this reply at the time but it looks better than ever, and like the hide holds up pretty well to some water (because of the pigment finish I assume?)

The stitch shade almost gives the effect of beads of leather crossing the jacket. Fantastic.

Thanks! Yes, the leather does well in rain, although I don’t intentionally expose it to water.
I’ve had a Caff Racer from FL in black Shinki, which performed equally well in the rain. Both very stiff leathers that take a moment to break in.

It may be worth exploring with Greg if the qualities of his “usual“ Shinki has changed. I have another jacket in black pony which is much softer and soaks up water like a sponge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB