Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir Favorites

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
While looking through my vintage movie collection I noticed I do not have any film noir movies.
What are your favorite film noir movies or in your collection (please list the year of each movie listed)?

My favorites so far
The Window (1949)
The Face Behind The Mask (1941)
Black Angel (1946)
Undertow (1949)

St. Louis

Practically Family
Of course your avatar starred in many of my favorites, such as Laura (1944), Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950) and Leave Her to Heaven (1945) in which she plays a horrific villainess. Laura is actually one of my all-time favorite films. I should say, though, that although I love all film noir, I tend to like the ones from the early to mid-1940s best. Strictly speaking the genre reached its peak a little later, right after WWII.

Would you call Notorious (1946) film noir? I'm not sure, but it's in my top 10. Along similar lines, Spellbound (1945) (also with Ingrid Bergman) is another classic that might not fit easily into the noir genre, but is packed with nailbiting suspense and plot twists.

M (1931) is a brilliant movie, may have been the first in the genre.

Out of the Past (1947) has all the classic hallmarks of noir and Jane Greer as one of the greatest evil dames on screen.

The Big Clock (1948) is heartstopping -- twists and turns of plot until you can't take it any longer.

Fallen Angel (1945) isn't one of the best films in my list, but I had to include it because it's from the golden era and because I have a crush on Dana Andrews.

There are many more, but these are the ones that first spring to my mind.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
My favorites:

Touchez pas au Grisbi
Asphalt Jungle
Les Diaboliques
Sunset Boulevard
Murder my Sweet
Gilda
Rififi
Tension

A couple I love but some could quibble if they were "film noir" or not:
Notorious
The Big Sleep

Nikki

New in Town
My two favorites:
The Glass Key
This Gun For Hire

Both of them are from 1942 and they might not be the best movies. I love Veronica Lake and she's my style icon.

alsendk

A-List Customer
M made a big impact on me watching in tele when I was about 17-18
Peter Lorre just looked so evil I thought.

Later on I saw Casablanca, and a quite different actor turned up.
I consider him a great movie actor, but with a limited range in different caracter due to his not so angelic face.

City For Conquest. Cagney and Ann Sheridan and a young Anthony Quinn.

Cagney played a fighter who gets blinded in the ring by another crooked fighter and his manager.
Sheridan wants to go to Hollwood and dance with Anthony Quinn. Quinn expects more then a dance partner.
Great ending for another post.
Best regards
CCJ

Kmadden

New in Town
My Film Noir Oscar nominations:

Best Picture — "The Asphalt Jungle" (1950) or "Chinatown" (1974).
Best Actor — James Cagney in "White Heat" (1949).
Best Actress — Jane Greer in "Out of the Past (1947).
Best Supporting Actor — Edward G. Robinson in "Double Indemnity" (1944).
Best Supporting Actress — Ann Blyth in "Mildred Pierce" (1945).
Best Screenplay — "The Killing" (1956) or "Strangers on a Train" (1951).

A few other favorite films noir (in no order): Criss Cross (1949), The Killers (1946), Kiss of Death (1947), The Third Man (1949), Pickup on South Street (1953), D.O.A (1950), Force of Evil (1948), Laura (1944), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Sunset Boulevard (1950), Ace in the Hole (1951), The Breaking Point (1950), The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973), Key Largo (1948), The Man Who Wasn't There (2001), Cape Fear (1962), Brighton Rock (British, 1947) and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982).

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I liked
"Call Northside 777"
No music, good lighting, Jimmy Stewart - what's not to like with J-J-J-Jimmy in it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner