Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

films of felt hat manufacture and hat care

Your favourite hat is:

• Homburg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fedora

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bowler

• Top Hat

• Western

• Total voters

silvershadow

New in Town
These two films were one longer film originally which I've split in the middle and made into two separate parts.

The first film shows hats being manufactured at the Akubra factory and also gives a little of the company history:

http://www.glennamer.com/Akubra.wmv [5mg]

--

The second film is about hat care:

http://www.glennamer.com/Akubra Care.wmv [4mg]

I hope you enjoy watching the films of felt being made, and how the hats are formed. I'm not affiliated with Akubra in any way, except I do buy lots of their hats!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for these, Silvershadow! Very interesting.

Looks like the company doesn't share other's opinion of using steam on their hats.

Cheers,
Tom

Spellflower

Practically Family
:eusa_clap
Great stuff, Silver Shadow!

Yes, Tango Yankee, Akubra and hatsdirect do recommend steam, but notice how the man says, "a shot of steam." This probably won't cause any problems, but if you hold the hat over steam for several minutes, that's when you'll start to get taper.

BTW, anyone know what hat the gent in the hat care video is wearing?

Spellflower

Practically Family
I dunno, it looks like to high a brim and too wide a crown for a Stylemaster, and the Swing only comes in blue and gray from what I've seen. I'm guessing it's a Squatter. Whatever it is, it looks good on him. I often feel that I don't pull off the wide brim on my Fed as well as I'd like, but it looks just right on that guy. I guess if it didn't, he wouldn't have the job. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran