Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Films you EXPECTED to be horrible...but weren't!

Jerekson

One Too Many
It's funny because as I see it, the only people who didn't like Indy IV were the COW members. It's simple - they set their standards way too high and felt it as a personal blow from Lucas/Spielberg when those standards weren't met in every detail. It's ridiculous to say the least, because it was a perfectly great movie...

It's the same exact situation as the guys who boycott the Star Wars prequels. Just...get over it.

Edward

Bartender
Jerekson said:
It's the same exact situation as the guys who boycott the Star Wars prequels. Just...get over it.

Au contraire... Indy IV was fabulous, well within the spirit of the originals in the franchise. The Star Wars prequels, on the other hand, were simply appallingly made films on every level.

LordBest

Practically Family
Edward said:
Au contraire... Indy IV was fabulous, well within the spirit of the originals in the franchise. The Star Wars prequels, on the other hand, were simply appallingly made films on every level.
I do agree, but I have to admit I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels quite a lot more than I expected when I recently re-watched them as part of a wager.

I dunno, they had three good points:
1. John Williams's scores.
2. The spacecraft designs.
3. Not replacing James Earl Jones as Vader's voice.

Other than that, George Lucas pretty much knows that he could put the nastiest stuff in his trashcan or the back of the fridge on the market and some gullible diehard fanboy/fangirl will buy it, sing his praises and even go postal on anyone who points out, "Dude, you paid HOW MUCH to dispose of somebody's garbage? What were you thinking?!"

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Nilbog=It's Goblin backwards!!

Jerekson said:
Don't ruin it for me!!!

Yeah!!!

*They totally do. But you spend the whole movie rooting for the entire cast to die, so it's not a deep emotional wound.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Detroit Rock City

Eyes Wide Shut - when it first came out, I really wanted to see it. Then it got panned, so I was worried when I saw it in a second run theater. I love it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grey Gardens on HBO - with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. Barrymore nailed the part of Little Edie, at least comparing it to the actual in the 1985 documentary. I flipped it on expecting a train wreck and was really pleasantly surprised.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I expected WALL-E to be a drag, but is one of my favorite movies now. I expected Ratatouille to be the same, but I liked it alot also. I thought Platoon was going to be borderline decent, but it was great. Lots of others, cant think about em though.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Fedord Spaniard said:
Is that the movie where the Trolls survive and eat the kid's mother at the end?
Whats funny about this movie if that there are no trolls in it- they're goblins. I think they should of named it NILBOG.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Grey Gardens on HBO - with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange. Barrymore nailed the part of Little Edie, at least comparing it to the actual in the 1985 documentary. I flipped it on expecting a train wreck and was really pleasantly surprised.
I'm dying to watch that movie. I don't have HBO so I'm waiting for Netflix to have it.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
One movie that i didnt give much mind to untill i actually saw it was The Believer (2001). A movie about a New York City Neo-Nazi of Jewish origin. The character was modeled after Daniel Burros a real like Neo-Nazi of Jewish origin. Its one of the most interesting movies i had seen in a long time.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:

Yes I enjoyed it too, many, many people I know thought it was terrible. Good fun though, enjoyed Mr Williams' score over the closing credits, a nice touch.

Anyone think they'll be an Indy V?

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Edward said:

agreed, while indy 4 wasn't my favorite of the films upon watching it again with the others I've grown to accept it as a decent summer film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ