Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson coats - anyone?

BobJ

Practically Family
Filson is having a decent winter sale going on right now:
http://www.filson.com/sale.html

Thanks Fanch! They really have a lot of items on deep discount. I'm thinking about picking up one of these:
midnight_navy_main_9.jpg

http://www.filson.com/sale/journeyman-jacket-seattle-fit-ws.html#586

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I bought a Filson Corded Wool (18 oz) Western Vest off eBay absolutely like brand new , it fits okay , the bottom (being large) is about way too large , 8" or so (I like room , but its really roomy). I heard the new version in the Traditional 24 oz Mackinaw Western Wool is cut trimmer , and they have Brown on Sale in Large , but I'm hesitating thinking I may just need a Medium . I could return it , if it was too Big , no Mediums in any color are available at the present . Being color challenged I'm not positive , but at that discount it would be worth finding out . 35% is 35% . Regularly $175 , on Sale for $99 . They are definitely nice , well made , and warm .

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have numerous wool Filson vests, a mackinaw cruiser jacket and a tin cloth packer and all are tough as old boots. In fact I bought a smaller Packer on Ebay a couple of weeks ago as the large is .. err ... large :)

Haven't noticed the Tin Cloth smelling at all ( and certainly no more than my Drizabone or Barbour ) but it is considerably tougher and has only softened up a little after two winters. I have the optional liner which doubles as a waistcoat. It's not as practical as Ventile or Goretex ... but it does look way cooler.

Waterproof performance is on a par with Barbour and Drizabone ... it's waxed cotton ..... but not on par with Goretex and nowhere near as breathable.

The Alaska Fit is about one size up on std. UK size.

HTH

Reactions: A-1

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Heading back to the main HQ store tomorrow to exchange a few items tomorrow. Btw- when I took the Factory tour, I asked the tour person (who is also one of their marketing people) why they did away with the Seattle fit....the answer was that they wanted to simplify things and instead of having both an Alaskan fit or Seattle fit , they would split the difference between the two: it's part of the reason why you see the Mackinaw and other items moving to letter sizing (S,M,L, XL) and you are staring to not see any references to Seattle/Alaska fit in their catalog. For new sizing reference (I measure a 39-40" chest) I fit my old style Mackinaw in size 38, but now fit a size S (which is slightly slimmer than my 38 but still fits well). The newer cuts overal are slightly slimmer overall compared to the old regular/Alaska fit but not super slim like the Seattle fit.

Last edited:

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Heading back to the main HQ store tomorrow to exchange a few items tomorrow. Btw- when I took the Factory tour the tour person (who is also one of their marketing people) I asked why they did away with the Seattle fit....the answer was that they wanted to simplify things and instead of having both an Alaskan fit or Seattle fit , they would split the difference between the two: it's part of the reason why you see the Mackinaw and other items moving to letter sizing (S,M,L, XL) and you are staring to not see any references to Seattle/Alaska fit in their catalog. For new sizing reference (I measure a 39-40" chest) I fit an old style Mackinaw in size 38, but now fit a size S (which is slightly slimmer than my 38 but still fits well). The newer cuts overal are slightly slimmer overall compared to the old regular/Alaska fit but not super slim like the Seattle fit.
It is kind of confusing right now--you can find Mac Cruisers brand new in number sizes, Seattle, Alaska, and the new sizing--will take a wile for the old stock to sell leaving just the new sizing. I'm about your size maybe a little bigger and just ordered a Mac Lined Work Jacket in a small--sure hope it fits!

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I finally ordered a Mack Cruiser in Seattle fit medium. I probably should've looked for a small, Filson sizes are huge, although I hoped the trimmer Seattle fit would be more true to size, we shall see.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I finally ordered a Mack Cruiser in Seattle fit medium. I probably should've looked for a small, Filson sizes are huge, although I hoped the trimmer Seattle fit would be more true to size, we shall see.

So the Mackinaw Cruiser came today, exceptionally well made jacket and it would be awesome if it fit. I will never understand Filson sizing, it's one of the most elusive things in the world. I own a tin cloth jacket in Medium and this thing was really big on me when I was powerlifting and 215 lbs. Then I heard about Seattle fit, great I thought, nice trim athletic fit. I ordered a medium off eBay, new with tags sub $300. I tried it on and an NFL linebacker could fit in this thing. I'm 5'9 175 lbs and absolutely swimming in it.

I do spend a lot of time in the woods, hunting, hiking, tracking, camping, etc... But when I do that I wear clothes that don't cost an arm and a leg and let's be honest there's just much better materials to pack and wear now. There's no way I would wear this jacket on a multi-day hunt. So really I bought it to look awesome walking around town. I just find it hard to believe that at my size (no I'm not huge by any means) I need a small Seattle fit (their trim version). What does a dude who is 5'6 140 lbs do? that used to be the average mans size 100 years ago. I swear if you're in halfway decent shape you can't find a fit with Filson gear, frustrated...

Now where do I find a Seattle fit small? Filson changed to one cut I believe, not sure if they're still doing numbered sizing i.e. 38, 40, 42 etc... Like I said there may be nothing more difficult in Internet shopping than getting a good fit with Filson clothing.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
^^
I hear you re sizing--it's tough without trying on. I had a chance to try on Mac Cruisers in Medium, Seattle fit Medium, and in size 40--at 5'10" and about 162 lbs they were all big on me. There were no smaller sizes to try--except a small in another style--a jean jacket type and I could barely get it on--and it was about 3" shy of buttoning. I just ordered a Mackinaw Work Jacket (got it today)--ordered the Small which is what Filson recommended, but I was concerned as it looks like a trimmer cut. Well I got lucky--the fit is very good--but it's definitely a more tailored vs oversized look--which is just what I was after! Now keeping my eyes peeled for a small Mac Cruiser :). Oh and they've moved away from numbered sizes, as well as Seattle and Alaska fits, but there's still stock floating around.

Last edited:

cuchulain

Familiar Face
^^^^The seller is going to send me a 38 Alaska fit, we shall see how it goes. I don't wear anything in a 38 so if this doesn't fit I give up.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Yeah, sizing can be tough to judge especially while they are transistioning to the new letter sizes. I have quite a few Filson jackets (bought three during the holidays) so my experiences might help provide a reference for sizing. I've also tried almost every jacket on in the main Seattle store as well as some Seattle fit jackets that are discontinued and are on sale at their outlet in Burlington, WA so I'm pretty familiar with all their jackets now...at least those in my sizing.

For reference I'm 5-11, 175pds, chest is 39-40. Here is what I own and that fit me well.

I wear a size Small Mackinaw work jacket which fits well with some room- model 11010776
I wear a size Small insulated Journeyman which fits perfectly - model 11010653
I wear a size Medium Short lined cruiser which fits perfectly- model 11010762. The S was too small in the chest.
I wear a size Small Mackinaw vest - model 11010055
I wear a size Small Lined Cruiser vest - model 11010658
I wear a size 38 Mackinaw Cruiser (older model from a few years back). I've tried on a new model size Small and it's slight smaller than my 38 but fits well.
I also add that I have a pair of Mackinaw Field pants- model 11014010 in size 34 that are simply incredible. Sizing for these are true to waist size.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Yeah, sizing can be tough to judge especially while they are transistioning to the new letter sizes. I have quite a few Filson jackets (bought three during the holidays) so my experiences might help provide a reference for sizing. I've also tried almost every jacket on in the main Seattle store as well as some Seattle fit jackets that are discontinued and are on sale at their outlet in Burlington, WA so I'm pretty familiar with all their jackets now...at least those in my sizing.

For reference I'm 5-11, 175pds, chest is 39-40. Here is what I own and that fit me well.

I wear a size Small Mackinaw work jacket which fits well with some room- model 11010776
I wear a size Small insulated Journeyman which fits perfectly - model 11010653
I wear a size Medium Short lined cruiser which fits perfectly- model 11010762. The S was too small in the chest.
I wear a size Small Mackinaw vest - model 11010055
I wear a size Small Lined Cruiser vest - model 11010658
I wear a size 38 Mackinaw Cruiser (older model from a few years back). I've tried on a new model size Small and it's slight smaller than my 38 but fits well.
I also add that I have a pair of Mackinaw Field pants- model 11014010 in size 34 that are simply incredible. Sizing for these are true to waist size.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for taking the time--very helpful!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I bid on a 44 Mackinaw Cruiser , I'm a 44 , I hope if I get it , its not super huge . I couldn't read if it was Alaskan Fit or not , and it didn't say on the listing . We shall see .

bobm

A-List Customer
I bid on a 44 Mackinaw Cruiser , I'm a 44 , I hope if I get it , its not super huge . I couldn't read if it was Alaskan Fit or not , and it didn't say on the listing . We shall see .

I think it should fit, but as we all know, this is an outer jacket, there is more flexibility here. This is not as if its a tapered sports jacket. So, if it's a tad long in the sleeves, no biggie or you can roll the cuff up, if it's a little on the roomy side, that will allow for a sweater underneath, which is all the better as the Macks are unlined and the wind can go right through. If it's too short in the sleeves or too tight in the body, than your stuck.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
^^^^The seller is going to send me a 38 Alaska fit, we shall see how it goes. I don't wear anything in a 38 so if this doesn't fit I give up.

The 38 fits pretty well, I can get a sweater underneath as a layer and it doesn't look huge, it's still a boxy cut which is fine. Very nice, I would like a gray one too, may try that one in a 36 (I'm 5'9 175 lbs for reference).

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I just bought a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser , size 44 R , I'm 5'8" 170-175 lb. and it fits Perfectly .

I'm 5'9 175 lbs and this is me in a 38R Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, I would be absolutely swimming in a 44R. I have a 43 inch chest and 32 inch waist for reference. I can't imagine how a 44R fits you perfectly when we're about the same size.

Sorry for the poor pic, but it at least gives an idea. I could honestly still size down to a 36R.

hzJ5RPC.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I have a 32" waist also , it goes to 34" sometimes , but I couldn't wear smaller than 44 . Have you measured to make sure it is a 38 ? My Chest is 44" I know . I'd never get that 38 on . Maybe your's is Alaskan fit ? Looks good though .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner