Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson coats - anyone?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello friends, just interested to see who owns or has experances with Filson Wool or Canvas coats & vests? I've been to thier store & manufacturing facility when I've visited Seattle, and it's impressive to me how much of thier stock is still US-sourced and built right in Seattle.

I have a Filson Vest - A new Charcoal Mackinaw wool vest. I'll be looking to start using it later this fall when temps get into the 20's or less. That's another question, since these are "rough" wool products, unlite a Tartan lining of leather jackets, do folks find the wear-ability less than other jackets? Also are they so good at keeping you warm that you won't want to wear them unless it's below 0F outside? Just a few questions and discussion starter for these apparently fine products.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have this.

Filson.jpg

It's solid but nothing remarkable. Great that it is still US made. I value that. The waxed cotton is lighter than a Drizabone.

heron163

One of the Regulars
I have a barn jacket from Filson that is US made. It is similar material and color to the Barbour proofed cloth but not quite... it is a nice jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am a big fan of Filson products - jackets, coats, hats, pants, shirts, vests, etc., and own all of what I just listed. I have visited the big Seattle store, and a Filson store just opened recently in Dallas. I use my vests to layer underneath during the winter, and I even own a cotton canvas travel vest that I use extensively to stuff when going through security at airports. I am especially partial to their moleskin vests which I own in several colors but use my Mackinaw vest when it is really cold.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
My Elmer Fudd mackinaw wool coat gets 100x more wear than any other jacket in my collection. Light weight (considering how dense and thick the wool is), breathable, windproof and practically rainproof.

And this past year, I picked up one of the last remaining Guide Work Coats in bonded wool. Lighter weight,m and dressier than my mackinaw, this jacket gets me compliments all the time

guideworkjacketbondedwool10413.1.jpg

Filson is top shelf IMO but I'm also biased towards my PAC NW brands :)

Gav

Practically Family
I have a mackinaw cruiser, probably the same as exact one as @bretron.... Awesome through the winter and the two fit options give you a good choice. I want to add a tin cloth jacket to my lineup too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite is my Filson Levis trucker jacket in their heavy waxed tin cloth that was only made for a year and then discontinued. They also had the same jacket in black for only a matter of weeks and wish I had snapped up one in my size too as these jackets are now being sold on eBay at 2-3 times the initial cost of $200.

s-l500.jpg FILSON LEVI TRUCKER JACKET.jpg

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
I got my first Filson jacket thirty years ago when I lived in Alaska, it was a double mac. With various layers I wore it all year round up there. I only switched to my full-on snorkel hooded parka when it got well below 0/-18. [fahrehheit/celsius]

Since then I have had Filson pants, shirts, vests, jackets, shoes, hats, in both wool and cotton, and have been impressed by every single piece.

They have a different business plan nowadays - instead of focusing on being a small niche manufacturer of rugged, vintage outdoor gear, they have begun targeting the young urban professional crowd with slimmer fits and updated fashions.

They still offer most of their traditional, classic coats and jackets in both the original [Alaska] fit, and the modern [Seattle] fit. The Alaska fit is for bigger [around the middle] guys, or more layers. The Seattle fit, while slimmer and trimmer, manages to maintain good arm and shoulder mobility. I'm not skinny by any means, but the Seattle fit works very well for me.

Now, to respond to your question about them being too warm for anything above zero degrees f/-18c... The short answer is that that's not true AT ALL. I have had both the double mac and the single mac, and have always been impressed at what a WIDE range of temperatures and activity levels they were comfortable in. They have the perfect balance between breatheability and wind resistance. No matter how active you are, you never feel clammy in them. And, unlike fleece, they are good at keeping the wind out... the rain and snow too.

If I'm active, like taking a long walk, I found that it had to be below 50f/10c degrees to be comfortable in the double mac. But just sitting, like at a football game or something, it is comfortable up into the sixties f/teens and twenties c. And, like I said, you can easily take it down to below zero f/minus twenty c, with layers.

The single mac is amazingly versitile. Over just a tee shirt, you can wear it down into the forties, but also be comfortable not bothering to take it off indoors, like at the movie theater or mall.

I'm a sucker for all the pockets too. I carry gloves, cap, phone, reading glasses, handkerchief, dog leash, dog treats, and other assorted odd and ends in them. I use the large back pocket for mail, books, vests, sweaters, water bottles, magazine and newspapers. It's like having a built-in knapsack.

The durability of the classic Filson coats and jackets is legendary - they're routinely inherited by the next generation. My thirty year old double mac has seen heavy use in snow, rain and wind, and still looks like new.

Some people have sensitive skin and can't tolerate wool. I don't have that problem, and have always found pure, high quality wool to be comfy and cozy next to my skin - sweaters, jackets, and blankets.

Like leather jackets, Filson wool coats and jackets age well, have a heritage, gain character, become old friends, and will comfort and protect you for the rest of your life.

Let us know which one you get, and, of course... we all like pics! :D

Bob

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Awesome post there Bob! Answered a lot of the questions that I had. I have been very impressed by the Filson models of jackets I have handled in thier store. I also look forward to using this Mackinaw vest this fall for a lot of football games and just back & forth in Iowa. Looking at a Single Mackinaw in Seattle fit overall, probably the best combination for Iowa, or a tin coat perhaps. Thanks again...

Reactions: A-1

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
I own a moleskin vest which is great for layering in fall/winter. I love wandering through their shop here in PDX, sometimes trying things on. I regret not buying the initial levis trucker collab., I was in there trying it on when it first came out...

Nice stuff, not overly designed, just "updated" from actual outdoor gear they are known for. Go for it.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I have a Filson waxed tin-cloth jacket somewhere. I only use it to shovel the driveway or walk the dog if it's raining or something. It took getting used to the wet feeling from the waxed cotton, not a huge fan of that to be honest.

One thing about their sizing is the jackets run HUGE, I bought a Medium based on their recommendations and at the time I was 200lbs and weightlifting and it was still massive. You would need 45 inch biceps to fill the jacket out.

I bought my jacket under $200 at the time, now I see some of their tin-cloth filed coats for $450 which is nuts. There's no liner, it's literally heavy cotton with wax on it. $450 is just way over-priced, I wouldn't consider buying from them anymore at their current prices.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have the single Mackinaw in charcoal. I'm a size 40 and bought a 38. It fits trim and is a fantastic jacket. Still look new.

pak

One of the Regulars
I have had many pieces of Filson and still have a number. I feel the mackinaw is a bit bulky and would like to see the return of the whipcord wool jacket.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Woops, forgot I've got two Filson Mac's, one in black and another in Grey. And one double Mac in Forest Service Green. All "Alaska Cut" as the fashion cut is too small.

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
Worf, it is obvious you have too much if you forgot your Filsons!

I have a charcoal Mackinaw wool vest I use for layering in the Winter and a waxed tin cloth vest I wear over a wool shirt when the temps are in the 40s or above. It is wind proof, waterproof and is warm enough for mild temps. It is just easier and more comfortable to wear the tin cloth vest instead of a jacket with mild temps.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have had many pieces of Filson and still have a number. I feel the mackinaw is a bit bulky and would like to see the return of the whipcord wool jacket.

I agree. Filson should still produce jackets in this great fabric. In fact, I don't know if you can get whipcord from any major supplier anymore.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Filson's Jac-Shirt is on my short list and comes in 18 oz. Seattle wool, not as heavy as their 24 oz. Mackinaw wool cruiser.
10234-main-020_1_6.jpg 10047-alt-2-410_6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch