Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Filson oil finish trucker jacket

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I recently acquired new Filson Levi's oil finish trucker jacket, which is made with waxed cotton using Filson's heaviest grade 12-oz. Tin Cloth, including their moleskin collar and lining underneath the cuffs. This is a perfect jacket for cool weather in the 50's and is a great jacket for use as a windbreaker for damp/rainy conditions.

Although this jacket is labeled as XL, I think that almost everyone's experience with this particular model is that it runs at least one size smaller than labeled. With 27" sleeves and a 28" back length, it seems to fit me more like a 42 long. As a point of reference, I have a 42" chest and 37" waist and am built like a 6'2" stick, but not a great deal of room underneath for any significant degree of layering. For anyone wishing to do so, Filson's customer service will provide measurements for their various sizes. This year, Filson now has a 2XL for their Trucker Jacket.

The matching salad bowl lid that I am wearing is called Filson's Original Tin Hat and also runs small - labeled as XL but fits like a 7 1/4 size.

2012-10-06095403.jpg

Last edited:
Fanch, looks really good - with a trim fit. Usually these sort of jackets are cut the American, wide-body way. I'll have to check these out. I'd assume there probably a few colors as well?
Does the finish pickup lint, etc? How does it feel to the touch? And what's the lining like?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Meant to show this one as second image. I apologize for the poor quality of photos using my IPhone4.

2012-10-06094308.jpg

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Damn good looking jacket, Fanch and it fits you very well. I have a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser in heavy wool and it is one of my favorite jackets. Filson makes a great product.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, looks really good - with a trim fit. Usually these sort of jackets are cut the American, wide-body way. I'll have to check these out. I'd assume there probably a few colors as well?
Does the finish pickup lint, etc? How does it feel to the touch? And what's the lining like?

My experience with Filson's waxed Tin Cloth is initial stiffness but quickly softens up, much more quickly than Aero's FQHH! None of my Filson waxed jackets seem to pick up lint or dog hair. Filson's Tin Cloth jackets are renowned for their use in the field. Butte, at your size, I would think that you would need a 2XL which should fit you like a glove. This model also comes in black, as of this year.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Damn good looking jacket, Fanch and it fits you very well. I have a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser in heavy wool and it is one of my favorite jackets. Filson makes a great product.

Grayland, since I live in upstate TX instead of upstate NY, I would be able to wear Filson's Mackinaw Cruiser no more than 5-6 days per year! However, I did have an opportunity to try on a Mackinaw Cruiser while I was at Filson's flagship store in Seattle a couple of months ago and can understand why it is one of your favorites.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Most of Filson's jackets are labeled one size SMALLER than they really are. The fit on this looks good and given the style of the jacket you probably shouldn't be wearing more than a thing sweater underneath! :D

Once the wax dries off a little bit the jacket will soften up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner