Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got an old Stetson 7X!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sigh.... :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Wonderful Gene!
HarpPlayerGene said:
DSC_0015.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'll admit I had my doubts Gene, not that I've cringed from doing stuff with newer hats. But honestly, this makes perfect sense. It looks great and seems to fit your style perfectly. The dark blue ribbon is something that's appealed to me for a while. Total winner. You did a fantastic job.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice as OR's are, this is something really special.

- Bill

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations Gene! That is superb work and, much as it pains me to say so, you took a fairly pedestrian hat (I love ORs!!!) and made it very special. Well done! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
You must not have seen this post in the other thread. :D

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=847322&postcount=5079

I did see that, buddy (where you suggested that a 1-inch ribbon would be good). I'm just ribbing you guys a little. Thing is, it'd be hard to make this hat look bad but any number of different ribbon styles, including your suggestion, would probably look fine. The 1-inch option would make this hat almost a twin of the Playboy I already have. ;)

I premeditated this make-over from way before this hat turned up on Ebay. It's been a plan of mine to use this ribbon with that color of 7X felt and to have a certain brim width - - so now my evil scheme has come full circle and I will now rule the world!!! Bwah-ha-hahahahahhhhh!.... lol

I might need to keep an eye out for some small lengths of vintage ribbon in different colors and widths. I've only got a couple here salvaged from some junkers in the past. I like to scavenge what I need in that way since actually making the bow is not my idea of a good time. :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Knowing you, Gene, I knew the result would be outstanding -- and it is. As always, you pull the whole look off with panache. Well done! :eusa_clap

So -- now that all is said and done -- isn't that 7X Clear Beaver felt sweet? ;)

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
-- isn't that 7X Clear Beaver felt sweet? ;)

Cripes, yes, it sure is!! BobC recently acquired one and wrote that it made other of his good hats seem rough and scratchy like wool by comparison. That's the truth. The only other hat I've got which is as smooth and soft is my old Borsalino roll-up but it is soooo floppy. The 7X has that quality of finish and very thin felt but still has enough 'meat' to it that it stays in the crease it is given - until you want to change it to something else. And the color is my idea of perfection: Not as green-ish or grey-ish as silverbelly usually is, but a shade or two lighter and a tad bit more yellow/light beige. I am now officially spoiled.

Michaelshane said:
The pro's outnumber the con's.......so I'll give a small round of applause. :eusa_clap :)
It'd be easier to swallow if I HAD a 7X Clear Beaver in original trim but these smaller headed folks have a target rich environment!
It does suit you right down to the ground Gene.
I love your attitude about lids & envy your sense of style!
Keep it coming...

jimmy the lid said:
So -- now that all is said and done -- isn't that 7X Clear Beaver felt sweet? ;)
I saw a 7X Clear Beaver tagged as a Stetson 50 & a Sovereign tagged as Stetson 20. I guess whatever is above Sovereign would also be what a Stetson 25 is based on. So Chief, how do you compare your Stetson 25 to your 50 (7X Clear) to your 100?

Spats McGee

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene, you're a braver man than I. I wouldn't have had the nerve to cut into a 7x, but the results are fantastic!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I saw a 7X Clear Beaver tagged as a Stetson 50 & a Sovereign tagged as Stetson 20. I guess whatever is above Sovereign would also be what a Stetson 25 is based on. So Chief, how do you compare your Stetson 25 to your 50 (7X Clear) to your 100?

Deputy -- I don't own a Stetson 25, although I have had a chance to see yours. :D The 7X Clear Beaver is a dense, smooth felt. The finish is smooth as a baby's bottom. While the felt certainly has substance, it is also malleable and soft.

The Stetson 100 I would describe as being super dense -- more dense than the 7X Clear Beaver. The finish is smooth as glass. Incredible. Unlike the 7X Clear Beaver, the felt is stiffer. I think the best way to describe the end result is that the Stetson 100 has a sturdy feel to it -- a dense, stiffer felt that is super smooth to the touch.

So, to my way of thinking, the 7X Clear Beaver fedora functions more like a Borsalino (albeit with somewhat thicker felt) -- whereas the Stetson 100 has a bit more of a sturdy, western feel to it.

Hard to put all of this in words that translate somehow, but I hope it answers your question! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
AND, as Dinerman detailed to me in a PM he sent, the felt characteristics of these individually labelled models changed (declined) over the decades. He stated that he has handled several 7Xs and no two were really the same feel.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
How did I miss this. Gene........I love it. I have been thinking about doing the same to my Open Road. I think your success has sealed the fate of my hat. Is that ribbon as wonderful as it looks? Fantastic

CRH

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
AND, as Dinerman detailed to me in a PM he sent, the felt characteristics of these individually labelled models changed (declined) over the decades. He stated that he has handled several 7Xs and no two were really the same feel.

Gee, thanks, Gene for clearing that up :rolleyes:.

Sounds like attempting to describe the taste of wine to me ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy