Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Firefighter Hats

bendingoak

Vendor
I never stated it was 100% sure on the holes in the bowler but would make sence on how firemen are. They like to follow tradition. Why wouldn't you find bowlers like these ?

If not who would wear one like this. Why put the hooks in this pattern just for ventilation.

I myself wore a leather new yorker made from cairns and brothers . They still make them today. I have my buddy who was on the job at engine 2 of the FDNY from 50 - mid 70's. The helmet hasn't changed in design very much at all.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John, do you have any pics of the older helmets like Barney used to wear?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
bendingoak said:
I never stated it was 100% sure on the holes in the bowler but would make sence on how firemen are. They like to follow tradition. Why wouldn't you find bowlers like these ?

If not who would wear one like this. Why put the hooks in this pattern just for ventilation.

I don't recall any references to a percentage either but you did double dog dare Robert to disprove your assertion. I'm not surprised that holes would be punched in a decorative shape instead of randomly spaced holes and 'cross shapes' seem like a logical option. The thread is interesting though.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
bendingoak said:

Anyone who wore a ventilated stetson made prior to the 1940s. Every early lightweight Stetson I've seen with vents has the vents in this pattern. That cross was just the design Stetson used on all their ventilated hats. Different manufacturers used different vents, 10 pointed stars, snowflakes, other variations on crosses.

I have a very hard time believing every single summer-weight Stetson derby was originally a fireman's hat, and an even harder time believing that for that white air-light Playboy.

If you do have anything that actually shows a connection between Stetson's vent design and firefighting, though, that would be very interesting to see.

bendingoak

Vendor
You could be right. I just thought that maybe they used this design ( firefighters) them selves. I know firefighters do all kinds of things to like this. Why would Stetson use a Maltese cross?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart