Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Firming Cream

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Last week, I needed my drivers license renewed, so off to DMV I went. The lady who was taking my picture kept retaking it and telling me to lift my chin, now since the DMV doesn't care if your picture is flattering or not, I couldn't figure out why she kept re shooting it.

Well, finally very tactfully she told me I had a double chin and she was trying to get the most flattering picture of me possible. Of course I was completely mortified!:eek: When I got home, I showed the picture to my husband, but he didn't think it was any big deal.

So here's my question, does anyone use a firming cream that works? I don't expect miracles, but now I'm so self-concious, I'm totally desperate!!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Actually, I am utterly stunned that she would openly say that to you.. I mean, she is the DMV photographer, not David flippin' Bailey! That is so insulting!

But as for firming cream, well I don't use any 'yet' so I won't comment on that!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Your right, but I was so embarrassed I couldn't even reply (and the camera didn't lie, I did look kind of puffy:) ). I guess she thought she was doing me a favor..Thank God I was the only one in there when she said it!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Well I guess she only wanted to get the best out of you.. the more I think about it, the more I think how great it is that you even get a photographer at all! Over here we get a tiny little booth with harsh white lighting that would make even Marilyn Monroe look unactractive!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Oh dear!
I'm afraid (and I'm going to say this very quietly) I don't even use moisturiser

But you've just reminded me of an awful occasion where, after being drenched in a sudden downpour, and then spending, oh, about an hour arguing to try to gain access to a library in Paris (with important documents to look at and a plane to catch in about 3 hours time), the young man at the library card issuing desk said to me as he was trying to take my picture "Smile, because I want to make you look very beautiful" (in French, naturally).

I almost slapped him. Just TAKE the photo. Needless to say, I have never seen anyone look quite so hacked off (or damp) as I do in the picture on my card. I shall treasure it always.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who's that jowly girl on my license, oh that's me

I also elected to get a new picture since as I told the girl, "My old picture is nice, but I don't look like that anymore." The new one is of a double chinned puffy face but with red lipstick. Anyway, I use DermaFreeze365 Neck and Chest Instant Firming Lotion and it feels like it works. It even looks like it works. I got it free at Walgreen's when I bought the DermaFreeze365 Instant Line Relaxing Formula, which you use before a moisturizer. It was about $20.00 but I don't think they are running that promotion this week. I tried the Avon Anew firming stuff, didn't seem to work, can't even remember the actual name of it. Good luck.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
RetroMom said:
Last week, I needed my drivers license renewed, so off to DMV I went. The lady who was taking my picture kept retaking it and telling me to lift my chin, now since the DMV doesn't care if your picture is flattering or not, I couldn't figure out why she kept re shooting it.

Well, finally very tactfully she told me I had a double chin and she was trying to get the most flattering picture of me possible. Of course I was completely mortified!:eek: When I got home, I showed the picture to my husband, but he didn't think it was any big deal.

So here's my question, does anyone use a firming cream that works? I don't expect miracles, but now I'm so self-concious, I'm totally desperate!!

I have a gwp sample of Dior's Model Lift, but I didn't notice a big difference.

Actually your best bet is to diet and do neck exercises for toning. I can't describe them, but basically they are head lifts.

Other than that, when you are photographed lean forward at the waist and then lift your chin so it is level. That will get rid of a small double chin.

kath

New in Town
I actually spoke to a cosmetic biochemist about this (anti-wrinkle and firming lotions). She said that nothing really 'works'...it just makes your skin feel nice. You need to find something that you like, but it doesn't have to cost $120, to at the most, moisturize your skin. I have have a friend studying to be a beauty therapist, and she said only a minute amount of the creams actually get absorbed, so just find something you like, and works for your skin, but it won't do any miracles (grrr!).

I can't believe the nerve of some people, but I suppose I would have appreciated a little help when I got my passport photo taken. It was an extremely windy day, with rain and humidity, and my photo now makes me look crazy! As if someone would go in public, TO GET A PHOTO TAKEN ON PURPOSE, with hair like how mine looked! It was in stringy clumps, complete with a frizz halo. Yikes. Another 5 years to go with that one!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
That's true. As I understand it, there are some prescription things which DO have an effect (peeling etc). But basically, if it did anything significant, it would be classified as a medicine, and you'd need to get it from a pharmacist.

I somtimes steal some of my mother's expensive moisturiser, though, and it's really a comfort thing. Some of it feels really nice.

But, I'm afraid, I'm a moisturiser cynic!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All of the biker chicks look like they are WAAAAAAAY older than I am but they are actually years younger. Yeesh. None of 'em use any kind of moisturizer. They smoke. It makes a big difference in the way their skin looks and, so I've heard, feels. So something is getting absorbed because I've been using moisturizer for about 30 years and my skin is soft. :) The stress of these past 3 years, however, has really done a bad tapdance number on my face. :( :( When I slather on the firming stuff it does feel good and seems to help. Meanwhile, good diet, plenty of water, and sunscreen can't hurt.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Whisk an egg white and smooth it on your face and neck for 10 minutes, it gives a bit of 'firming' action, and it feels nice. Plain yogurt is a nice exfoliating treatment too.

I figure try the homemades before getting drastic, if you are consistent and start early you shouldn't ever need the 'pros'.

But don't worry RetroMom, you're gorgeous, and the woman at the DMV was just jealous:)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
I have a gwp sample of Dior's Model Lift, but I didn't notice a big difference.

Actually your best bet is to diet and do neck exercises for toning. I can't describe them, but basically they are head lifts.

Other than that, when you are photographed lean forward at the waist and then lift your chin so it is level. That will get rid of a small double chin.

I do the neck/head lifts, I've been doing them for about 15 years now! lol They may have helped minimally but honestly there isn't anything that's going to get rid of it except just losing weight (and for me, plastic surgery or a chin implant!) I inherited my father's extremely weak chin, and since I have gained weight over the past few years I now have a very slightly double chin. Of course it is only when I tilt my chin down, which I seem to do in every single photo!

The next time I am being photographed, I will try your tip of leaning forward and lifting the chin. Thanks for sharing that.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
fortworthgalI inherited my father's extremely weak chin said:
Hehe, though not *too* much. My husband, who has for years been convinced his chin isn't strong enough, looks up in the air in all photos of him. It looks very silly and makes me laugh!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Thanks Ladies, I knew you would give me some practical advice!

I like the leaning forward/lifting chin tip. I'm going to try that one when we take photo's at Christmas.

I also like the egg white mask.

Thanks Again !:)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
DMV workers are from a special place in Hell apparently!

Anyway, I used to work with a baby photographer, obviously dealing with ladies who had recently given birth. Her advice was always stick your chin forward, while this feels kind of silly, a photo is one dimensional. It really works. Also, everyone looks better in a photo when they are posing. But who really does this on their driver's license? I look horrible in mine, so I am taking my own advice next time! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy