Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Leather Jacket(s) - looking for similar styles

Jmm22

New in Town
I’ve had some cheap leather jackets, but I want to finally get a nicer one. I really like the style of the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket, but have read it’s not a great value, even with the 20% coupon at approximately $800. I’ve seen similar jackets, but a lot have more ornate back stitching than I like.

I want relatively sleek, as it’s solely for casual/business casual wear. Likely over a t-shirt or button up. I have leather jackets for my motorcycle that are purpose built and bulkier.

I also tried on and really liked the fit and look of the suede jacket from Banana Republic, but I assume I can find a better manufacturer for the $500 or so.

Are there similar styles to these that are recommended? I live in MA and was contemplating going to Vanson for a custom jacket as well.

I’ll probably stick with one for now, as I’m trying to keep it around $1,000 to see how much use I’ll get out of it first.
IMG_1693.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpeg
    IMG_1694.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Have you checked out Goldtop? The 1958 and 1959 seem to fit what you want and you can still use them to ride if you choose to.
+1 I love my Goldtop 619 to bits.

Very easy wearing yet good thick hide with great grain. And a leather that will stay looking respectable no matter how much you wear it, as it's through died or whatever the word is.

Their brown looks like it ages really nicely.

You don't get the panel matching of hide that you get with Aero and the like.

Also +1 to the classifieds here over a first time custom order.

Good luck!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like the style of the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket, but have read it’s not a great value, even with the 20% coupon at approximately $800.
If It fits you well then I think this jacket would be a fine value for $800.00. It is made By Golden Bear of San Francisco and they have a long history of making quality products. The only downside I can think of is that it will not have the resale value of a more recognizable brand but if you are buying it to wear, then that is not really a concern.

Jmm22

New in Town
My only concern is that I’m a weird fit with a 44” chest and 32”’waist, so a lot of OTR stuff doesn’t fit me well. I guess I can always return stuff.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
My only concern is that I’m a weird fit with a 44” chest and 32”’waist, so a lot of OTR stuff doesn’t fit me well. I guess I can always return stuff.
If it's OTR then you can indeed always return without any issue. Also bear in mind that if you return an international order you're paying customs for nothing, so domestic companies are probably Best for you. Luckily you have heaps of them.

Or, someone from TFL classifieds will likely fill out the customs form such that you won't have fees to begin with.

There are certainly designs suited to a large chest - waist drop. I'm sure more knowledgeable folk here can advise. You could also have something adjusted by a good tailor to taper more at the waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner