Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Leather Jacket

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Wow, Aswatland! I wish I had the chance to get that selection! Unfortunately, college loans will prohibit any collection of original flight jackets for me for the next few years.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Mine was an early Avirex G-1, in lamb I think... given to me... but, the first real jacket I bought was a Cooper 'Commemorative 50th Anniversary' goat A-2. I actually loved it, but it was too short in the sleeves. Went through 2 more, until I discovered ELC! 4 ELCs later, an Aero Bronco, RM B-10, an ELC B-10, then a GW RW27752 and my Aero 15142. Have dabbled in MA--1s, CWU-45s, etc...
Currently own an ELC B-10.
Have an Aero 1410 on the way and a Willis & Geiger I pu off Ebay. Hopefully another Aero at years end, either a 3785 or a Bronco!
Also looking at a future M442a or G-1

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
My first (and still only) leather jacket is a USAuthentic A2 in russet brown. I had always been a huge fan of aviation, and WW2 pilots specifically, so documentary films like Memphis Belle and Thunderbolt; and movies like Fighter Squadron and 12 Oclock High, burned into my mind the image of the cocky, devil-may-care pilot sporting his A2.
So in 2010, after 3 years of trolling different websites, and after getting a bit of money from my family as a graduation present; I finally got an A2, a jacket which had interested me for at least 20 years. Granted, it isn't as good as an ELC, Aero, or GW; but it's what a broke college student could afford, and for 99.9% of the people I meet - they're stunned by it's appearance.
Maybe in the future, I'll get something better - custom fit; but for now, it is head and shoulders above anything else I come into contact with.

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u455/Asienizen/A2 USAuthentic/

Last edited:

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Your first ever leather?

In order to treat any obsession, it's vital to get to its core, however obscure. In my case, it's not obscure. At the age of around 15, I decided I simply had to have a leather jacket; it's just what a guy did, right? But my preference then was not for a slick sort of 30s design, of the kind I favour now, but more like a biker's jacket: something like Aero's King of the Road. The trick then was always to drag the jacket behind you as you walked along: yes, I am talking about patina.

I really can't remember what happened to that jacket but, at some point, visiting London, I came across an early 90s Aero. The rest is history

Share your own leather story with the lounge.

SJ

Plumbline

One Too Many
Age 8 ......... City Cash Tailors, Glasgow

£25 Provident Cheque in hand ....... it was paid over for a cheap Black A2-esq "Grease" .. a later name given after the fame of the T-birds jackets ( 2 sizes too big to appease my mothers need for "growing room" ). I wore it til it literally fell off my back, 2 sizes too small and with leather polished paper thin.

The year was 1975 ..... dice was cast ........... it's been downhill ever since :)

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My first leather jacket was a 1967 military issued US Navy G-1. From that point on I have been hooked on leather jackets.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Here it is.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/attachments/panther-expedited/1654d1260980412-1st-year-jackets-black-panther-4.jpg&w=723&h=419&ei=frVxUbe8EqbwiwKg-YGYAw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:86&iact=rc&dur=482&page=1&tbnh=170&tbnw=286&start=0&ndsp=18&tx=156&ty=84

I loved this jacket. I wore it for a couple of years, and, then, left it unguarded at a party and it was gone. It reminds me a very little of Aero's Maxwell, though mine was made of thin lambskin. I bought it in a pawnshop in Oakland, CA, in '67, so its provenance is unimpeachable.

Last edited:
Here it is.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/attachments/panther-expedited/1654d1260980412-1st-year-jackets-black-panther-4.jpg&w=723&h=419&ei=frVxUbe8EqbwiwKg-YGYAw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:86&iact=rc&dur=482&page=1&tbnh=170&tbnw=286&start=0&ndsp=18&tx=156&ty=84

I loved this jacket. I wore it for a couple of years, and, then, left it unguarded at a party and it was gone. It reminds me a very little of Aero's Maxwell, though mine was made of thin lambskin. I bought it in a pawnshop in Oakland, CA, so its provenance is unimpeachable.

Wow..you've changed considerably over the years! Bet you still have the ole fire,tho..or should I say the power...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Didnt get a leather till I was around 21 even though I had been riding bikes since I was 17. It was a straight zip with a red lining, thinking now, a bit similar to a Highwayman by Aero. Originally with tassels but I cut them off, I damaged the zip, discovered Aero Leathers in battersea and part exd it for something with a good zip.
A2s and Aero? Thats another story.
JTee

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Here it is.

I loved this jacket. I wore it for a couple of years, and, then, left it unguarded at a party and it was gone. It reminds me a very little of Aero's Maxwell, though mine was made of thin lambskin. I bought it in a pawnshop in Oakland, CA, so its provenance is unimpeachable.

Did you hang on to the beret?

Corky

Practically Family
My first leather jacket was a russet buckskin fringed jacket acquired at the height of the Davy Crockett craze in the spring of 1955. Eventually, I outgrew it and my Mom gave it to one of my smaller cousins. However, in 1968 I bought a full size version in Mexico which I wore throughout the Sixties and Seventies and which hangs in the back of my closet to this day.

4aTQKBOHniBAeTJz9M2P-O42sOGoplkChBClNas_HXbGvsLJsd1gcSaqkpdweeuQpUC8wJLOVkRV0VKl-CNj-elM-DicfQ90vLVlRan52KBXtVUFLBT_mSK6RasEcDQTh_YgW8755E2b7Io0sAvcKka2SN6RFMMBTmZ8iYaADRk3XI--WoWIG-X1roWEpDriIqSl3EbAvglggXy0gOid1Jw691tzxvKrsDUbtKT7hJX89vqxm76P0Ro0mV7OjyVNMkOV=s220-c

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bought over 20 years ago when I was in high school. Still here (presesnt-day photo), still fits but given to another family member awhile ago.:D A Japanese denim brand Big John's tribute to Fonzie.[huh] I don't think he ever worn this type of biker in the show.:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ordered a burgundy leather box jacket via Kays catalogue @ 14 yrs old (paid it off weekly for 12 months from my paper round). Two cheap biker leathers followed as I took to two wheels (18 yrs old). Went in the local vintage shop one day @ 21 yrs & came out with an original USN goatskin G1 and have never looked back.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
No name copy of a Lewis Twin Track Bronx that an actress left at my house. She was touring a play and never came back for it. I wore that old thing everywhere although it weighed an absolute ton and at 14 years old I looked like an idiot in it.

Enough

One of the Regulars
Mine was a AMF Harley Davidson cafe racer in dark brown I purchased in 1977. I don't know who was making the AMF leathers at the time but they made a very good jacket. I wore it constantly on my bike (Yamaha XS 650) for 10 years until I out grew it.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Bought over 20 years ago when I was in high school. Still here (presesnt-day photo), still fits but given to another family member awhile ago.:D A Japanese denim brand Big John's tribute to Fonzie.[huh] I don't think he ever worn this type of biker in the show.:eusa_doh:

Mine was very similar looking to this – an army surplus store cheapie (not that I'm saying yours was cheap). Funny that I can't say what I did with it, given that I was so attached to it. I'd feel self-conscious in a biker's number now (I only have a push bike – retro, though, very cool) but on the other hand the Thunder Bay is within the same family and *very* nice. Too warm even for a London winter, though, I wonder? SJ

Dav

One Too Many
This was/is my first leather, bought for me by my Mother somewhere around 1980, not particularly good quality but it did save me a few times. I've still got it actually, even though it hasn't fitted me for years, just don't seem to be able to get rid of it, guess it reminds me of all the good times I had back then.

And one of it being worn, check out the hair! :embarassed: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24