Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post

volleykinginnc

Familiar Face
Hey all....very new to quality jackets and have just purchased a vintage 50's motorcycle jacket that looks like this one but in much nicer shape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160681185459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

A couple of quick questions:
1) Does anyone know the mfg of this jacket and approximate date? Oddly enough my jacket has the same square missing where the mfg label once was.
2) I love the way old bomber jackets were personalized with patches....were patches used on this type as well? If so does anyone have any pics or currently have a 50's M/C jacket with patches?

Thanks for helping out a newbie....I look forward to learning more.

normanf

One of the Regulars
My guess is yours would be a Schott Perfecto. If yours looks like the one in the photo.

Wear yours in good health and welcome to the Fedora Lounge! :eek:

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Can you post the pics of your jacket? If it has stars on the shoulders it might be a Beck or a Schott 613, the famous one star perfecto that Brando wore in the Wild One. Without pics we can't say how old it is, but the jacket on ebay is not a perfecto....

For the second question, in the 50s patches weren't popular, they became in the 70s.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Cutbert that the jacket on ebay isn't a Perfecto: the lining is the wrong color and the label isn't a Schott label--although similar. If it were a Perfecto, it would have to be a late 40s HH 613 (one star) or an early 50s HH 618 (no star). In the 60s Schott went with steer for their Perfecto. They also sell the 613 stars separately, so many of the 618s were converted to the 613 look alike. Please post a picture of yours so we will know what we are dealing with. Guessing is made more difficult when we don't know what we are guessing about! There are others in the Lounge who know a whole lot more about the Perfectos, and old MC jackets than I do, so someone will be able to answer your question, maybe. We love a good mystery.

Patching of motorcycle jackets has never been common in my part of the country, nor have I seen it done in other parts. Often leather vests are patched and pinned, and they are frequently worn over the jacket, so it appears the jacket itself is patched.

Welcome to the Lounge. Stay as long as you want; just don't drink too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael