Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit advice for new member

Damon141

Practically Family
You know what jacket I have become to love is Freewheelers mulholland jacket. So out if my price range but this picture below just had me thinking of maxing our my credit cards. I am sure in a larger size it would be too baggy in the waist. The Japanese makers conveniently leave out the hem measurements. At $3,000 though,, no thanks

Attachments

• EC963848-F554-469D-BACD-831660F4E001.jpeg
    EC963848-F554-469D-BACD-831660F4E001.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 48357923-8319-4183-B793-A9274FB9B245.jpeg
    48357923-8319-4183-B793-A9274FB9B245.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 62

Damon141

Practically Family
Nice. You and me both!

But soooo out of my budget.

I don't even think that I've spent that much on my entire collection combined (yet). ;)
I’m not a fan of the California half belt style, i Ike how even though this is a vintage style it also looks modern with the belt lower. Just like the j100 is vintage but also looks modern

Rugby

One of the Regulars
To anyone that has been following this thread I ended up selling the jacket for a wash, a basically brand new Himel Kensington for $1,200 minus shipping and fees. So the resale are not as high as Japanese brands like The Real McCoy j100 which sell for $1,900 and sell routinely for $1,300-1,600 in well used shape so why they charge $2,650 I will never know.

Even after that fiasco I was still considering a bespoke Himel Kensington but after them ignoring my email about alterations I would never choose that brand. I got lucky on mine which had pretty straight stitching but after browsing pictures there are plenty on here with bad stitching and even uneven chest pockets, a member here repeatedly posts theirs with contrasting white stitching and the pockets are the first thing I notice.

Johnson leathers we’re very responsive and helpful when discussing alterations before the sale but I really want a period correct J100 or Cafe Racer with vintage type hardware and that doesn’t seem to be their thing.

First on my list is Fields Leather because of the great stitching and fit options of a mock up jacket.

I contacted John Chapman with goodwear leather 2 weeks ago (no response) to ask if the wait time on the website was correct 14 months I think, because I have read posts that people have waited 4 years. That’s ridiculous as anything can happen in that time frame and he isn’t the youngest guy either.

I considered lost worlds but I see mixed reviews.

I like some of Thedi leathers cafe racers which are unique but not at his price after the exchange rate.

Are their any other high end makers with bespoke jackets that I have missed?

I truly think a 44 in the Rmc j100 would fit chest wise but worry about the sleeve length and body width. It really is such a nice jacket. Some online companies have a return policy but it’s not my style to buy online and return, I just feel bad especially with something that pricey.
I've had great experience with Johnson Leathers. I asked them to make whether they would make a jacket with my specifications and they were very accommodating. I had two fittings and the result was a great jacket that I've been waring a lot to break it in and also because it is a very good winter jacket, 4oz CXL HH. I will definitely order again from them.
Lost worlds make great products. Well crafted and the leather is among the best. My experience is a bit negative because although I gave detailed measurements, the jacket I received was small, narrow, on me, but fit my son so we kept it. It looks great on him. The only problem is that the hardware he uses are not sturdy enough for the leather. Plus he has jacked up his prices by 25%. So LW has priced itself out of the market, as far as I'm concerned.
If I were you I would give JL another look.

Damon141

Practically Family
It’s hard to find pricing, do you know roundabout what a jacket cost from Johnson?

How is the stitching quality on your JL jacket?

I’m in Florida so I’m unfortunately not able to visit the shop but I’m willing to go to a professional Taylor for accurate measurements because I’m definitely going custom based on my measurements.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
It’s hard to find pricing, do you know roundabout what a jacket cost from Johnson?

How is the stitching quality on your JL jacket?

I’m in Florida so I’m unfortunately not able to visit the shop but I’m willing to go to a professional Taylor for accurate measurements because I’m definitely going custom based on my measurements.
My jacket cost $1150. Stitching is straight, careful and deliberate. I live in Maryland and they sent me mock jackets for fitting.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
You would kill it in a Vanson Hardcore Highwayman. It’s a double rider with a laced back, and no belt. IMHO the D pocket gives it a cool 40s 50s look. I know you said you aren’t into the cross zips, but it would fit great off the rack and even if you bought brand new would cost less than 800 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points