Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check On Aero Premier Highwayman 40

Erule78

New in Town
Hello,

This is my first leather jacket. It's an Aero premier highwayman in goat size 40. It definitely feels snug and there are areas where the leather bunches. Is this an indicator of a bad fit? Will this improve with some break in time? The dimensions on this jacket are similar to a Rogue Territory wax canvas jacket that fits me well. Thanks for any feedback!
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg

Erule78

New in Town
It looks like it fits well. Does it feel okay? Aero's goat should fit well right out of the box.
It feels a little snug but okay. In the picture where I'm standing sideways, does the loose material in the body of the jacket seem okay? I wonder if a good tailor could make an alteration to make a better fit?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It feels a little snug but okay. In the picture where I'm standing sideways, does the loose material in the body of the jacket seem okay? I wonder if a good tailor could make an alteration to make a better fit?

Doesn't look like excess material at all. With the Premier Highwayman you could even go up a size and it would still fit well, but I think this looks great. The goatskin has a really luxurious natural drape to it.

Erule78

New in Town
Doesn't look like excess material at all. With the Premier Highwayman you could even go up a size and it would still fit well, but I think this looks great. The goatskin has a really luxurious natural drape to it.
Thanks Aloysius for the feedback! I think I just need to get used to the feel of leather. I hardly wear any jackets here in Florida, but we do have our occasional jacket weather. I'll be happy to wear this when weather permits, or when on vacation in cooler climates.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The jacket is trim on you. If that is the look you like, then rock that socker. If you want a little more body room in the chest area, try a nice fitted T-shirt. It will make the jacket more comfortable. In true honesty, the goat in your jacket will flex a little more as it gets broken in. However, it will not be a drastic. I often wear a fitted dress shirt with some jackets to improves mobility.

By the way, Love the entrance door.

Best!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
First congratulations on your new jacket. I think it fits well. There is nothing I would do at this point. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Just enjoy it.

A few additional notes, just talking to myself really, is the lower back creases. These are because the bottom opening is a bit tight (in closed position). I get these same creases. And when I say too small I don't mean skin tight either, I wear 35.5"/36" waisted jeans and with a belt it's 37", and any jacket with bottom opening less than 42" I get those creases. Shocking I know but that's how it is. Less folds when there is a curve in the torso, stacked folds like yours when the torso is tapered in a straight line. Goatskin is very forgiving, with a few wears it will get to where it needs to be. Also a little tighter at the hem makes the jacket looks better open, and in Florida I figure you'd wear it open most of the time.

The thing that still puzzles me - what's the reason behind the / \ creases. I know for sure it's not the neck. Something at the mid waist is pulling the jacket front and back. If it's neck strain due to forward collar it would only pull in the front not the back. I have horizontal creases in all my jackets I consider a good fit at the armpit level. And they are not tight at all. I am a 41"-42.5" chest and my regular fit highwayman is 24" P2P (49" around) so I got plenty of room there, 6.5"-8" ease, yet I still get the horizontal creases there:
IMG_7878.JPG

IMG_7890.JPG

You're also getting the \ / creases when you're zipped up, from the two shoulders, like me, that is normal, means the jacket is sitting on those shoulder pulling inwards to the main zip.

I have a premier Highwayman coming in the Pinnacle leather which should in theory be as soft as the goatskin. I really want to find out the reason behind the / \ crease to the mid waist from front and back...

Anyways, your jacket looks great, wear it for two weeks straight should break that jacket right in.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Erule78 - great fit on a jacket that is still a difficult fit for many of us. Like others have said, the goatskin will soften a bit and get more and more comfortable, just wear it and enjoy it. I just hope you can wear and love it! The style seems to fit you great...

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,

This is my first leather jacket. It's an Aero premier highwayman in goat size 40. It definitely feels snug and there are areas where the leather bunches. Is this an indicator of a bad fit? Will this improve with some break in time? The dimensions on this jacket are similar to a Rogue Territory wax canvas jacket that fits me well. Thanks for any feedback! View attachment 528890 View attachment 528894 View attachment 528895 View attachment 528896 View attachment 528897
For my taste, this jacket fits flawlessly. Congratulations.
I would not change anything.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I’m gonna go against the flow here and say that I don’t like how this jacket fits you.
It’s not for any of the reasons you highlighted either. My criticism of this fit has to do with the neck hole which looks too small and positioned too high.

This looks like it pinches your neck:

IMG_9520.jpeg

This looks like the weight of the jacket hangs from your neck rather than from your shoulders as it should:

IMG_9521.jpeg

Imo this is a serious pattern problem with Aero’s premier pattern block that I’ve seen numerous times on this forum and elsewhere. It does not look like a comfortable fit.

mvilla

A-List Customer
First congratulations on your new jacket. I think it fits well. There is nothing I would do at this point. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Just enjoy it.

A few additional notes, just talking to myself really, is the lower back creases. These are because the bottom opening is a bit tight (in closed position). I get these same creases. And when I say too small I don't mean skin tight either, I wear 35.5"/36" waisted jeans and with a belt it's 37", and any jacket with bottom opening less than 42" I get those creases. Shocking I know but that's how it is. Less folds when there is a curve in the torso, stacked folds like yours when the torso is tapered in a straight line. Goatskin is very forgiving, with a few wears it will get to where it needs to be. Also a little tighter at the hem makes the jacket looks better open, and in Florida I figure you'd wear it open most of the time.

The thing that still puzzles me - what's the reason behind the / \ creases. I know for sure it's not the neck. Something at the mid waist is pulling the jacket front and back. If it's neck strain due to forward collar it would only pull in the front not the back. I have horizontal creases in all my jackets I consider a good fit at the armpit level. And they are not tight at all. I am a 41"-42.5" chest and my regular fit highwayman is 24" P2P (49" around) so I got plenty of room there, 6.5"-8" ease, yet I still get the horizontal creases there:
View attachment 528903
View attachment 528904

You're also getting the \ / creases when you're zipped up, from the two shoulders, like me, that is normal, means the jacket is sitting on those shoulder pulling inwards to the main zip.

I have a premier Highwayman coming in the Pinnacle leather which should in theory be as soft as the goatskin. I really want to find out the reason behind the / \ crease to the mid waist from front and back...

Anyways, your jacket looks great, wear it for two weeks straight should break that jacket right in.
Aren't those front creases just where the end of the inner facing is sitting?

Erule78

New in Town

View attachment 528903
View attachment 528904

Hi Canuck, thanks for the feedback! I will be visiting my Tailor soon so I'll bring the jacket and ask his opinion on the fit of the jacket and why the / \ crease. Your jacket looks great! I'll be curious to know your thoughts on the pinnacle leather once you get your Premier Aero Highwayman! I just ordered an Aero Buco J-100 (made to measure) in Vicenza so I'm excited about that! :)

Erule78

New in Town
Looks awesome, I'd be happy with that kind of fit. At least visually. As always the question is HOW snug does it FEEL. Pleasantly snug or snug in a constricting way? You're wearing a Henley, can't layer much less/thinner than that.
Thanks TartuWolf, I'd say that while it feels snug, it doesn't feel uncomfortable. It's more snug zipped than unzipped. I probably will wear unzipped 99% of the time anyways.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Congratulations on your new Aero!

I always hold my breath before I hit send on a jacket incoming … folks here can be brutally honest, which I guess is as it should be. Lol

My fit preference is different than many here. I like a little room for layering and I’m ok with sacrificing a perfect fitted look. I need a jacket to work with a tee shirt and a sweater and not look too tight or too sloppy. Jacket nirvana as they say lol.

Considering that you live in Florida, I’d say you‘ll spend most of your time wearing this jacket with a tee shirt, so I’d say it looks spot on!

My two cents as to the comments on the shoulder creases … I do notice them, but then again with goat hide, it might be as much a function of the way the leather drapes as any pattern issue.

scurvyfreedman

Familiar Face
I’m gonna go against the flow here and say that I don’t like how this jacket fits you.
It’s not for any of the reasons you highlighted either. My criticism of this fit has to do with the neck hole which looks too small and positioned too high.

This looks like it pinches your neck:

View attachment 528947

This looks like the weight of the jacket hangs from your neck rather than from your shoulders as it should:

View attachment 528948

Imo this is a serious pattern problem with Aero’s premier pattern block that I’ve seen numerous times on this forum and elsewhere. It does not look like a comfortable fit.

I think this is due to shoulder slope differences between the jacket and the wearer. It can happen on tailored jackets, but more frequently appears in the form of a collar roll on the back. The problem with block patterns is they are made for the median wearer. If you have square shoulders or more sloping shoulders, it creates rolls and folds where the fabric/hide isn't cut and sewed on the same angle.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hi Canuck, thanks for the feedback! I will be visiting my Tailor soon so I'll bring the jacket and ask his opinion on the fit of the jacket and why the / \ crease. Your jacket looks great! I'll be curious to know your thoughts on the pinnacle leather once you get your Premier Aero Highwayman! I just ordered an Aero Buco J-100 (made to measure) in Vicenza so I'm excited about that! :)
Well...It would seem the Fedora Lounge Effect is already well underway here! :)

May your wallet survive! Many of us here know this feeling just a little too well.

Erule78

New in Town
Aren't tho

Well...It would seem the Fedora Lounge Effect is already well underway here! :)

May your wallet survive! Many of us here know this feeling just a little too well.
Yea, I certainly see how this can become addicting! So many awesome leather choices, colors, jacket styles, etc. I'm going to try not to jump too far down the rabbit hole. I think 3 to 4 well fitted leather jackets should be fine! Lol. I've got seal covered, and just ordered a black vicenza. I may need black over brown, cordovan, natural... oh geez!

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
I can see where Tor is coming from on the neck discussion. It does lay tight to your neck and from experience, that can be uncomfortable for extended wear.

However! I think the fit is really great elsewhere on what is a pretty unique piece in terms of how narrow taper the waist is, and you pull it off well. Part of that neck cling and drape is due to the goatskin having a ton of drape compared to a lot of other stiffer, less pliable leathers.

On heavier jackets, you'd likely prefer for ease of wear that the jacket hang off your traps/shoulders, as @torfjord mentioned.

Here is how my heavyweight horsehide jacket wears at the collar.

Attachments

• FA2925AA-460E-45C1-88C5-6691896A6B01.jpeg
    FA2925AA-460E-45C1-88C5-6691896A6B01.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 180

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner