Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit question

jadub

A-List Customer
Mmm, good to keep in mind. Thank you. Yours was one of the voices I heard the loudest when I was thinking about moving my PHWM on. It’s relaxing and feeling more comfortable but it’s not how I want all my jackets to feel. This thread is to help me broaden my knowledge about what I should think about for my next purchase and I really appreciate peoples input so thank you.

jadub

A-List Customer
On a side note. Do people here recommend Tanakas books? I don’t ride anymore so I don’t have the interest in leather riding jackets that some may have, though I do wish I had my Langlitz back. God I loved that thing. I’m interested in the leather and manufacture of quality jackets more than the style.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wow, well that certainly throws the doors open! So if I understand you, the style/pattern of the jacket is actually more important than the size, P2P speaking anyway.

Sorry, I’m not familiar enough with your tastes to understand the shade comment. Seems you either really like Lewis sheep skin or really don’t? I do understand what throwing shade means but I’ve not heard someone dislike Shinki (specifically aniline dye) and CXL to such a degree, if that’s what your saying. I do get the general impression that Vic isn’t everyones favorite. I personally do like my PHWM however. I look forward to having it for many years and seeing it age, assuming I’ll always be able to fit into it.

Amazing collection of great fitting jackets BTW.

What Monitor said about style matter more than P2P measurements. Also check out Carlos database thread, I have it in my browser bookmark list.
Sorry it came out wrong from me. What I meant was that the feel of quality of CXL is one of the main reason why I keep buying Aeros, even when they are not the most comfortable to wear everyday.
I also have Shinki Aniline and Vicenza. They cost more than CXL but to me, all three are playing at the same quality level. Some would rate them higher and lower, but to me, 3/4oz horsehide aniline finish is 3/4oz horsehide aniline finish, there is no real better or worse. In a blind test only the CXL will stick out because it has a lot more oil and waxes. And once the new Shinki smell has faded it will not smell any different than the Vicenza. So yeah, I felt dumb after having paid more for the latter two from different makers, but that’s the journey of this hobby.
And about Sheepskin: It has been rated much less than what it is, but in my experience it is NOT any less than the horses or the steers. It is THICK, SOFT, and has depth, just like the others.
What I meant to say that is your PHWM looks as good as it can get, instead of trying to tweak the Aero pattern to fit you, accept it for what it is and live with it until you find your next jacket from a different maker with a different fit.

jadub

A-List Customer
Ah, I thought there may be a miscommunication. Thank you for the clarification. What you said “accept it as it is” is just what I’m doing. It’s a good jacket and I’ll likely have it for a long time.
I think some time ago I did see Carlos's post about the database he’s developing. Thanks for reminding me. I need to revisit that. Another epic collection for sure with detailed specs. Can’t beat that.

jadub

A-List Customer
I was just scanning back over this thread. Thank you all for the input. This is a great group and I really enjoy having this little community of nutters to talk leather with. Long live our stupid hobby!!!

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Your PHWM looks very good. And I know exactly what you mean when you say you want an extra inch in the chest but same tight waist, for comfort. But this is NOT gonna happen!
If you are looking for comfort, look else where. I have Aero Aero 22” to 24.5” P2P. None are more comfy than the other. I kept buying them because of the leather, and the way they look, not the way they feel. I would also rate CXL and Vicenza in the same league as Shinki Aniline, one tiny step below Lewis sheepskin. Sorry just had to throw that shade in there.
View attachment 346049 View attachment 346050 View attachment 346051 View attachment 346052 View attachment 346053 View attachment 346054
That burgundy d pocket though! Hot damn that’s a good looking jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I cannot guarantee that Aero patterns will act the same, in my experience they are far less forgiving if you get sizing "wrong".

I wonder why Aero hasn't updated (upgraded) their patterns over the years. Anyone who has owned a Vanson, Lewis Leathers, Thedi (or even a fashion jacket) or what have you will agree that those patterns are much more comfortable than Aero's patterns.

Why would they if there is no incentive? Everything is selling just fine, and orders are coming in. I really want to love their jackets, but after owning several I’ve moved on. I believe my Premier Highwayman in CXL was the pinnacle of their work, and I’ve experienced that already.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That burgundy d pocket though! Hot damn that’s a good looking jacket.
Burgundy CXL is awesome. It’s deep brown most of the time, but shines through with color change when light changes. Horween did an excellent job!

I wonder why Aero hasn't updated (upgraded) their patterns over the years. Anyone who has owned a Vanson, Lewis Leathers, Thedi (or even a fashion jacket) or what have you will agree that those patterns are much more comfortable than Aero's patterns.

I doubt they will change it. Their customers like me, would still buy just to get some CXL, and they know it. Partnering up with CXL leather is their one two punch, and until someone else offers the CXL full range, I doubt they will change anything.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Why would they if everything is selling just fine and orders are coming in?
In my work, I try to be better at what I do every day. I'm better now than I was one year ago. Same should hold for companies right? Imagine a car manufacturer not improving their products. Some day they will become obsolete.

I think they have a different mentality...based on Ken’s patterns. Change only comes in a time of crisis. The last time things were updated was when Denny and Holly joined the team. Before that, it was when Ken came back in 2011.
They would need someone from “outside” to come in to mix things up and re-do the offerings... like when Tom Ford stepped in at Gucci.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto