Five Star Leather vs Johnson Leather for Custom Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jonbuilder, Nov 23, 2020.

1. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

In my experience Vanson’s sizing has been remarkably consistent in every jacket style that I have owned so far. I have five size 46 jackets from them and they all fit well. If you are still unsure I would recommend you reach out to Constantine or Nick and ask them their advice. The fact that you already know how one or two other Vanson models fit you should make dialing this one in much easier.

Carlos840 and dannyk like this.
  2. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

I’ve been in contact. It’s a Collab of theirs. They have set sizing. And a return policy. I’m pretty sure I’m going to buy it, hopefully love it. If it’s off ive already spoken to Constantine and they will recreate it, to my specs for only a little bit more actually than it sells for. They said only issue, is it may take a long time due to the fire that burned down their tannery a year or two ago, finally found a new one that met their specs and they closed due to Covid. Like forever closed sadly. So they are in the process of seeing what leathers are left in stock and what to do next.

roadking04 and El Marro like this.
  3. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect One of the Regulars

100%. At the end of the day, you're getting a jacket, and depending on your perspective, how that jacket lines up with your expectations will be a personal situation. I went down a denim rabbit hole and came out of it now refusing to spend more than 50 bucks on a pair, I now find it asinine spending 100, 200, 500 on a pair of jeans. My experiences, my perspective, all that determined where I ended up.

I'm frugal by nature, so I need to account for every dollar I spend, which I am willing to do if I can justify it, so I do my best to try and buy things that I cannot get at a lower rate. Actual local tailor fitting, specific materials, etc, are not offered by alot of makers, and not offered by 5*, or Independence Brothers, or Film Jackets, etc. What JL offers I can safely say rivals those of Aero, Vanson, etc, and those companies are also not beyond reproach. In the end I spent a ton more and probably could've spent a ton less if I kept buying and trying. For me and my personal situation, for things like this, I need a tailor fit not because I'm necessarily looking for perfection, but because I don't resemble any manikin, I need a tailor fit for clothes that don't stretch (suit, leather jacket, dress shirts, etc) for it to even have a chance to look respectable on me, and I want certain materials, and when I'm spending this sort of dough I appreciate a more personal experience, so it was a no brainer for me. My best fitting suits are tailored, but I also have a suit that I bought off the rack at an outlet that fits me the best with zero alterations that I paid 1/3 of the price for. It happens, it's rare, but I will not compare the two.

But if we're being candid and fair, I don't think anyone has reported receiving a jacket from JL that still had the cardboard template still in the seams, or noticeably mismatched panels, or poorly folded over seams, or overlapping stitching from where they stopped and restarted, etc, not to mention no name brand hides or leather really that's distinguishable from mall jackets. All of which I still say 5* is still a great buy.

As mentioned, 5* and JL is not an apples to apple comparison, but an understandable one because at the end of the day they both make jackets, but imo I don't think it's a fair comparison.

4. ton312

ton312

Can we please get a look at your JL now?

5. TheDonEffect

Oh sorry, posted it in another thread. 3oz naked cow semi custom order. It's currently getting some alterations done and I decided to change out the liner with one I decided not to use on my new one.

Attached Files:

roadking04, Jin431, handymike and 5 others like this.
  6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I really want to try 5 Star, but I am a bit let down by the hide choices. Then Carrie goes and posts this Thedi buffalo in her thread:
    D7DEC434-C660-4A65-9E17-6076B96196F8.jpeg
    What am I to do? :rolleyes: A Five Star will never look like this...even after a handymike treatment.

7. ton312

ton312

In my opinion that’s a good thing. To my eye that’s getting awfully close to those cidu hides.

JustinW and Hh121 like this.
  8. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

too much make-up.....

JMax and ton312 like this.
  9. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

^^ buffalo is similar to cowhide leather right? Hope 5* experiments more with their dyeing process, hope we get a veg tanned cow/buffalo from them too

MrProper likes this.
  10. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I asked Shawn again about the not distressed buffalo. Unfortunately, this is already distressed during the tanning process and so there is currently nothing else.
    I asked Shawn to let us know if he had a different variant. would come across well here.

Jin431 and leper-colony like this.
  11. ton312

ton312

I wouldn’t paint with that broad stroke brush. None of my 5 star jackets have any of the flaws you’ve outlined as faults here. Perhaps I’m lucky or just very detailed in my specs. If you’ve read a bit you might remember a certain LW speed demon that arrived with start/stop stitching, is that commonplace w/ LW? And please don’t take this the wrong way but poorly folded seams? Looking at the lapel shot you posted above...I see some incongruence.
    Mistakes are not indicative of the makers ability or construction level. Shit happens, and when it does it should be rectified. 5 Star hides I’ll concede aren’t terribly interesting and this is where JL gets a huge boost, but to say they are mall jacket equivalent is bogus. I typically equate mall jackets with silky smooth lamb skin or pebble laden, corrected grain cow hide. I think 5 Stars goat/ Buffalo is better than that, the cowhide is meh and I have no experience with the horse. Point being you can’t take a broad swipe at any maker based on single jacket or a few duds. They all do it.

Jin431, bn1966, Psant25 and 2 others like this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I took some dye to the Five star buffalo sample. The new formula of Bison brown is a good match. Perhaps we could “reverse engineer” the non-distressed version- as long as there are no abrasions.

Jin431 and dannyk like this.
  13. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

AE7811E4-8256-418C-9BB8-E14CC1A8E461.jpeg
    I paid $175 for a made to measure stock trucker shipped
    About $350 for a full custom Franken-Jacket shipped fast
    Both goat stock v premium
    I’m 3x in his stock sizing I know smaller sizes are cheaper

14. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

PXL_20201125_153753255.jpg PXL_20201125_153832689.jpg PXL_20201125_153914776.jpg PXL_20201125_153940653.jpg PXL_20201126_133728030.jpg PXL_20201126_134149895.jpg PXL_20201126_134155854.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Carlos840, Jin431 and ton312 like this.
  15. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

16. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I believe that is @ton312’s old JL.

17. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

@ton312 the one you paid double money for?

18. ton312

ton312

Yes that is my former jacket but I don’t believe I paid double. It was however a fair bit more than what other posters had claimed to pay at the time. I’m not mad about it in the least, nor do I even remotely care anymore. My only point in this entire thread is ultimately that 5 Star, while being less capable in terms of materials is as good as most anyone else in terms of construction. I suppose my reviews should include more shots besides just fit pics so people can see how they are actually put together. By no means are they perfect but I believe they are quite good.
    58306861-2206-4F83-A3BE-FE2C5A1E7815.jpeg 081F21A6-598C-4E2A-8ADA-EA8BA94E9877.jpeg 5B4B2B57-FCAB-4588-9AF3-517147871795.jpeg

19. TheDonEffect

I think you took my post out of context, because as critical as that portion of my statement is of 5*, I'm largely complimentary of 5*.

Because I agree with all your points, but the context of what I was saying is not that 5* is akin to mall jackets, but that they really compete and are therefore superior to mall jackets largely due to price. They offer a similar experience to the established brands here but at a mall jacket price, so like I said it's a no brainer what anyone should buy.

But no one is comparing them to Aero, SB, Vanson, etc etc, which JLs do draw comparisons to. As mentioned, it's an apples to oranges comparison, one offers in person consultations, actual fitting with a fit jacket, an exhaustive list of materials (to which you can also bring your own), and they will go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied with the fit. If these things are of no value to a prospective buyer, than the price will seem absolutely asinine. If they are of value, then it's a justifiable expense.

Of course, everyone's experience may vary, and the system is definitely not perfect as you mentioned, and I agree with all your points regarding errors. I often said a mark of a good vendor isn't flawless delivery, it's how they take responsibility for inevitable errors.

Jin431 and ton312 like this.
  20. TheDonEffect

dudewuttheheck and Carlos840 like this.