Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fixing hat size

maxhogan

New in Town
I got a new Stetson Moose River, but it's a little large (the next size down was too small). Is there a preferred way to shim it a little to make it fit better? Some secret material to use? Thanks for any advice/helpful hints.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Foam reducing tape would be my first choice.

reducing-tape-2.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
Felt sizing strips behind the sweat work fine, and they're fairly inexpensive on Amazon. If it's a new hat, it will likely conform a little, and the sweat may shrink with wear. With one of my hats, I left it in my car during a hot summer day and it shrank just enough that I could remove the sizing strips.

Craft stores or craft dept at Wal-mart has felt squares for about 50 cents a piece. I cut them in strips & shim the sweatband according to need. Real inexpensive & I use the white ones to avoid any dye issues. Most hats will draw to your head if new & these strips easily come out. HTH

mattface

Practically Family
I always use felt strips from my scrap fabric bag. Generally it's a temporary fix as the hat shrinks to my head I'll pull them out.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have used single sheet cardboard, like the paperboard one a legal pad tablet. I cut it into strips about 3/4 wide and put it behid folded down sweatband pushed down as low as possible. I'm a 7 1/8 + and I get 7 1/4 hats and do this. Foam makes the sweatband go wonky and felt usually is too much. I put first piece at back to go almost half way round. A 11 inch long table backer is just about half the circumference of hat sizes. If the back isn't enough I put the second one in or two 3 inch pieces, one on each side. I leave the front unshimmed as I am long oval and that helps shape the fit of hat to my head better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic