Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flashlights?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Anybody else carry a flashlight (or two) with them? I keep one on my keychain and one in coat pocket regularly. I know some here carry pocket knives, but what about torches?

Yep--several, in different beam-colors, so as to lessen the impact on my eyes.

And one really-bright white one, about the size of a roll of quarters, for in case I need to blind somebody:
LL77364.jpg

http://www.coastportland.com/displa...72%A1273%A1274%A1275%A1261%A1262%BF&mastCat=5

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Flashlights, specifically led lights, are one of the few consumer goods that technology has clearly improved. The lights are brighter, the batter life is longer, the size is smaller and the cost keeps coming down. I keep looking for clearance prices on led flashlights and keep one in quick reach at all times; in my briefcase, in my desk drawer, in my car and throughout my house. I can't say that I have a favorite, perhpaps the one I grab at the time I need light is my favorite. I'm never far from an led flashlight, a Swiss Army Knife and a multi tool.

panamag8or

Practically Family
How about this? It has a belt loop and everything. The red light flashes, too.

ashflash.jpg

For regular use, I have a big Maglight and a couple of the mini-mags.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
A torch confession

I have a confession to make. I have the ultra strange habit of collecting vintage flashlights. 1910's-1950's. In fact at one point I was going to start a thread called: show us your vintage flashlights. They are so cool looking, someone should make retro LED flashlights.

I might add that this strange collecting habit was inspired by old mystery stories. You’ve probably read something like... "Frank beamed his pocket torch into the dark abyss... a strange murmuring sound came from the abyss. ""Joe, there's something down there! Joe! Joe? Where are you?"" There was a heavy thud. Frank blacked out."

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Atterbury Dodd said:
I have a confession to make. I have the ultra strange habit of collecting vintage flashlights. 1910's-1950's. In fact at one point I was going to start a thread called: show us your vintage flashlights. They are so cool looking, someone should make retro LED flashlights.

I might add that this strange collecting habit was inspired by old mystery stories. You’ve probably read something like... "Frank beamed his pocket torch into the dark abyss... a strange murmuring sound came from the abyss. ""Joe, there's something down there! Joe! Joe? Where are you?"" There was a heavy thud. Frank blacked out."

I think a lot of people collect flashlights. I have three versions of the Mallory flashlight, but I think the oldest would date to the 1960's, maybe the 1950's.

I assume you've seen the candlepower forum website?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
I think a lot of people collect flashlights. I have three versions of the Mallory flashlight, but I think the oldest would date to the 1960's, maybe the 1950's.

I assume you've seen the candlepower forum website?

No I haven't. Sounds pretty interesting though.:)

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I have a wind up flashlight that I keep in my car. That way I don't have to worry about the batteries dying, or disposing of dead batteries. It works great while camping too. LLBean carries them in a couple of colors.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
My husband is a flashlight collecting fool.. not vintage ones tho. He actually just got a new one this week!

We have "scull crushers" hidden all over the house in case of an intruder.
Nikki

NonEntity

Suspended
I have a lot of flashlights. Got in to them when I was a little kid.

I keep a Maglite Solitaire on my keyring, a AAA Mini Maglite in my Ghurka shoulder bag, a AA Mini Maglite in the glove box, and a 4-D-cell Maglite on my gunbelt. It's as much a weapon as a light.

One of my favorites is a Tekna, among the very first that ran on a lithium battery, which is extremely long-lasting. It recently stopped working, so I bought the hard-to-find and expensive replacement battery. Still won't work, so the problem must be the bulb. Frustrating, but I have no right to complain after using it for over 20 years. Only used 3 or 4 batteries in that entire span.

My newest flashlight is a 3-watt aluminum Brinkmann LED that runs on 3 AAA alkaline batteries that I generally keep on the nightstand, though it has a clip which makes it easy to carry. The button is on the end and looks just like the ones you see on the CSI TV shows. It's super bright, though the light has an unnatural, bluish cast. The price on these ultra-bright LEDs has come way down; mine was only $30 at Target.

I have some other older ones by Ever-Ready, but probably the most interesting one is my Granddad's Ray-O-Vac flashight. It's copper and is shaped like a blunt bullet on the non-lens end, which does not screw off like most. He used it in WW II when rebuilding Pearl Harbor, but it could pre-date the war. To keep the Japanese from being able to see things on shore at night, all lights had to be shrouded, like auto headlights and even flashlights. I still have the filter designed to be put under the lens that makes the light very dim, indeed.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I tend to have some tiny pocket torch with me. I used to carry mini Maglites but for some reason I've had batteries go bad and leak inside so they are no longer reparable.
I have an penlight from the golden age and should probably keep an eye out for a couple more so I will carry vintage more often.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I had one of the original tekna lights and it was quite wonderful. The battery lasted a very long time, however when it finally went dead I could not find a replacement. Perhaps with the web I could find a battery now, but I may have thrown out the flashlight in the mean time. Back to the basement for a search.

warbird

One Too Many
I prefer Surefire flashlights. I carry one most of the time. Mine puts out 80 lumens and has a lithium battery, which lasts a long long time. It also has a button on the back to temporarily turn it on for quick assessing, or you can turn the back for constant light. They are also designed to be used in conjunction with firearms.

Surefire are expensive, but they are superior to anything I used before. They are also guaranteed for life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran