Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floppy Dobbs

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
I recently won a Dobb's Fifth Avenue off of eBay. Nice hat fits me well but is a bit floppy or shall we say soft. If I try to put the hat on by gripping the bottom of the crown, the crown collapses. Even when gripped gingerly. The it's hard to make it look right after it have it on my head.

What can be done to stiffen this hat up a bit, so when handled it doesn't collapse? Will blocking it help?
Does anyone know of any Hatters in Kansas City?
The only option in Kansas City that I know of that might be able to block it is Cavender's Western Wear. They have a hat service but I'm not sure yet what they are capable of. Thinking of sneaking over there after my daughters Volleyball Tournament tomorrow.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I would say, like fixing a car, start small and cheap. Try hitting it with some steam (boil up some water and hold the hat about 6 inches from the surface, in the steam). That might reactivate some stiffener. If not, see if Cavender's sells stiffener spray, or if they are willing to give a LIGHT spraying of yours. If not, spray stiffener is sold online. "A little dab'll do ya!"

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Hey iceman

I remember reading on here about people using Scout and Kahl Felt Hat Stiffener. Maybe run a google on those to see fedora lounge discussions and stockists. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot