Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flowers in the hair

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rebecca D said:
I used to make my own flower clips, but I really couldn't find a place that sold good quality flowers. Does anyone knows a place in SF where I could find good quality stuff?

Miss Diva Pinup, I'm going to contact you soon regarding fruit clips. I'm just very, very poor right now and have to wait a while.

Pearl art store on Market st. has pretty good flowers. Also Burlington Coat Factory does (they are alright). Have you tried China Town?

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks Ms. Bella! :) and thanks JitterBug, I'll have to check some more vintage stores. There are bigger fabric stores here, I'm in NYC but, the flowers tend to look cheesy. I found this place: afloral.com and was going to try them out since they have SO many different flowers but, I don't want to get a big box of the same stuff I could have gotten from the stores around here, quality-wise. Thanks ladies, I'll do some hardcore flower shopping in the coming week.

Twinkle

Familiar Face
I often pin fake fruit like cherries into my hair, I have to go to China on business and they have fantastic shops filled to the brim in fake food, shells, flowers, insects (pretty ones like Butterflies) which are made of feathers, they are about $HK 20 (£1.50/$2.55)...

I bough a whole string of cherries which will last forever which cost about £2.50.

I've got a book from the 1940's which suggests use of seasonal flowers and leaves like mapel for autumn and holly or mistletoe for christmas and daffodils for spring etc.....

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
While reading a December 1939 Mademoiselle magazine, I came across several references to sequin and feather butterfly clips as well as a delightful "gold mesh snood with a captivating cluster of gold kid blossoms" adornment for evening wear. The snood was actually a mesh cap that covered the crown of the head and was absolutely darling.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
The bing cherries are particularly delicious!

And it's a good thing I didn't see those velvet flowers when I was getting married! Oof! That would have changed everything!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great site! Thanks so much for the link. I love the cherries and the velvet flowers too. Ooh and did you see the "candy flowers" and the "opera orchid"? I'll be ordering some of those!! I started to make my own hair ornaments, this is the perfect place to buy things to do so. Thanks!!:D

Drea

New in Town
FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR

Ladies..I'm making my own little hair flower business and I was wondering what kind of clip you like behind the flower best?

there's the alligator clip
(the ones that open up like a mouth when you push the ends down)

the barette
(the one that springs open when you squeeze the end together)

and the metal hair comb!!
(which is a metal hair comb)

Also..what other touches would you like that lack in other hair flowers you've seen or bought before???

thank thank thank you all for your help!!! xoxoxo

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Drea said:
Ladies..I'm making my own little hair flower business and I was wondering what kind of clip you like behind the flower best?

there's the alligator clip
(the ones that open up like a mouth when you push the ends down)

the barette
(the one that springs open when you squeeze the end together)

and the metal hair comb!!
(which is a metal hair comb)

Also..what other touches would you like that lack in other hair flowers you've seen or bought before???

thank thank thank you all for your help!!! xoxoxo

I personally prefer the alligator clip.. not the duck bills either, only if it is a very large flower.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have one with an alligator clip, and it works great. It also has a pin, so I can wear it on a coat or sweater, which makes it very versatile!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
aligator clip. And I know it not always possible but I like when they lay flatter (as close to the clip as possible. I had a rose one I couldn't wear because it stuck up at a weird angle.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
deadpandiva said:
aligator clip. And I know it not always possible but I like when they lay flatter (as close to the clip as possible. I had a rose one I couldn't wear because it stuck up at a weird angle.

Yeah, this is why I use the pincurl clips when I make mine. That way the back of the flower can lay completely flat, and the clip part can sit just under the petals next to the side of the flowers. I've had to throw out a lot of flowers that I made because they didn't sit right.

Naama

Practically Family
I prefer ordinary hair pins, I think you call them bobby pins? Because most of the other pins fall out of my hair too easily....

Naama

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the alligator clip or the bendy barettes that snap shut. You know, like the athletets us in the Olympics? lol.. I can't think of what they're called, but they really stay nice and flat.
Nikki

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I prefer the alligator clip as they tend to stay put and are easier to place. I don't buy any flower that's on a barette as I have fine hair and they just slide out! Flowers on combs can be nice for updos but I think in general alligator clips may be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner