Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying Bikes MC Jacket

fishmeok

Vendor
I've had this for over 10 years now- I don't think Flying Bikes even exist anymore. It's based more on a police style Belted jacket but has many nice features- Bi-swing back, zipper cuffs, etc. It's almost too heavy, strictly a Fall/Spring jacket and at some point I need to add a zipper (been saing that for 10 years now;) as the buttons do not keep out the drafts at 70 MPH.
Anybody else heard of Flying Bikes or have any info on the company?
Cheers
Mark

CompDown732.jpg

CompDown733.jpg

CompDown735.jpg

CompDown737.jpg

CompDown739.jpg

CompDown740.jpg

rgraham

A-List Customer
I've never heard of them, but that is one freakin nice jacket. Will you be making one like it soon?

Peacoat

Bartender
My first thought was that it was a police jacket. Is it horse? Does the extra length cause any difficulties while riding? Rather than add a zipper to the jacket, I think I would add a windshield to the motor!

And no, I haven't heard of the company.

Yes...I have a Flying Bikes brown motorcycle jacket in steerhide made somewhat on an aviator theme with zippered sleeves...and full thinsalate removable liner(sleeves as well). I ordered it from them probably around 10 yrs ago. A well made and quite heavy jacket..as you stated..almost too heavy. Because of that,I've rarely worn it...and the jacket is now at a motorcycle shop on the sales rack. When I ordered mine Flying Bikes probably made a dozen different styles of mainly motorcycle jackets...from cafe racers to the longer coat type.
HD

fishmeok

Vendor
They really did make some nice stuff- mine is cow, but if I remember right it was also available in buffalo hide. I added the Chicago police buttons to it- the originals were plain black. I have had a lot of work done on this jacket (long before I started sewing my own) as I had to get an extra large to get the correct sleeve length. I don't think adding a discrete zipper would hurt any value it has, I can't see ever selling it anyway, too much money and memories in it.

I'd like to make something similar some day, but I'd need three or four cows, this thing has a LOT of leather on it...

Any pics of that aviator style jacket? What size is it?
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok said:
They really did make some nice stuff- mine is cow, but if I remember right it was also available in buffalo hide. I added the Chicago police buttons to it- the originals were plain black. I have had a lot of work done on this jacket (long before I started sewing my own) as I had to get an extra large to get the correct sleeve length. I don't think adding a discrete zipper would hurt any value it has, I can't see ever selling it anyway, too much money and memories in it.

I'd like to make something similar some day, but I'd need three or four cows, this thing has a LOT of leather on it...

Any pics of that aviator style jacket? What size is it?
Cheers
Mark

No Mark...I don't have the jacket in hand right now since it's for sale at my local Indy MC shop. It's tagged a size 40...but fits more like a 42(not over sized style..just more like a 42 fit). It is a nice shade of antiqued medium to darker brown..A2 type snap collar...zip sleeved..Flying Bike wings enblem on sleeve and removable thinsulate full lining. If it doesn't sell(not really a biker looking jacket)..I'll get it back for pics.
HD

Edward

Bartender
rgraham said:
I've never heard of them, but that is one freakin nice jacket. Will you be making one like it soon?

:eusa_clap One of these in the same cognac-hued brown shade as the one I bought from Mark (pictures soon, I promise!) would be quite something.

Prof. Steampunk

New in Town
Still around

I found this web page for them:

http://www.culturedcowboy.com/cc_rider/FlyingBikes/pages/index6.html

I bought a WWII submarine captain's coat similar to this from South Beach Leather, but they've gotten the color wrong twice ( I want medium or light brown and keep getting either black or nearly-black brown), didn't have the buttonholes on the lapels like the picture did, and even though I've gone up to a 4X, it still is tight. (I know overseas folks build 'em different, but their site's sizing chart says it should fit and the sleeves should be an inch longer, too). Had I known about Flying Bikes, I'd have ordered the brown one from them

fishmeok

Vendor
Interesting- I didn't know they were still around. I rember mine as being more exspensive too. If the quality is still as good that's a smokin deal for a 3/4 length jacket though.
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot