Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Baggers

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
What a shame - but then I am even more happy with mine.

Has anybody here actually seen, tried or bought the 1936 pattern boots from WPG???? Could be super with a review.

(Edit) They are not at WPGs site anymore - maybe they were given up.

They're still there.
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1606&bc=no.

I held off buying a pair after reading some of the reviews on his site. However, now that they seem to be the only game in town...

Cheers!

Windsock

A-List Customer
sdrawkcab said:
those brown 36'ers look amazing! so they were made in Australia during the war? does anyone make repro's of them? ooh i want a pair!

Yes they were- both black and brown (I have examples of both). They were made by Bedggood in a factory in Richmond, Melbourne (I think the building is now apartments).

Here's a pair with an interesting connection to Antarctica. Surprisingly Museum Victoria's Curators have missed the fact that they're 1936 pattern which dates this pair to between '36 and 39. I think i'll drop them a line.
http://museumvictoria.com.au/collec...dggood-brown-leather-george-rayner-circa-1930

No-one is making them here now but I have spoken to RM Williams about the possibility of making them. Their estimate was very roughly guessed at about $1k AU a pair so I shelved the idea. If anyone's interested in getting a more realistic quote I would need to send my good pair to them to review, however i'd need some seed funding to do that- just send the postage cost to my paypal account ;).

The only thing those WPG's appear to have in common with real '36ers is the name.lol

sdrawkcab

New in Town
cheers windsock, pitty about the price i could really go a pair! WPG are the only ones apart from motorcowboy still making '36ers right? apart from ebay is there anywhere i could get an original pair?

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
WPG 1936 pattern boots

It sounds like there is some interest in the WPG version of the 1936ers. I took a chance on some last week. I have to say that they are very nice. The construction is quality - goodyear welted all around. They have a full fleece lining including the footbed and they are unbelievably comfortable.

The two things that aren't completely up to snuff are the buckle and the seam where the vamp meets the calf part of the boot (as mentioned much earlier in this thread). These are really minor criticisms, though. Otherwise the boots are awesome. Every man should have a pair of these. :)

Here are some pictures. I don't think WPG's stock photo does them justice.

1936_RAF_side.jpg

1936_RAF_sole.jpg

1936_RAF_liner.jpg

Thanks,

Noel

Theo J.

New in Town
1936 Pattern Flying Boots...

I'll purposely avoid the phrase "I HATE YOU SHOW-OFFS!!!", and simply admit how much I miss my Avirex '36 Pattern boots (w/ the Vibram soles; they may have been inaccurate, but I got all over the place even in deep snow thanks to those lovelies). WPG's '36 boots look good, and when I can justify the expense I may spring for a pair. Any user reports about them in the meantime will be read attentively, and with appreciation.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Sorry to be a party pooper WTF, but someone's got to say it :eek:

The WPG boots don't really look too much like actual 36'ers. The shape is all wrong unfortunately. I'm surprised that they haven't fixed their pattern after all this time. From the limited shots i've seen the main issues appear to be they are too short and the calf shape is wrong- the real shape is curved and not so open at the top.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Andrew-

I agree that the WPG boot shape isn't perfect but since no one else is making these style (aside from custom order at a huge price), I thought these were good for the money.

Noel

Speedster

Practically Family
I know we are moving :eek:fftopic: now but i tried the LL 36 pattern boots last September in their old shop.

The boots were very well made but do not look like originals government contracts or the Aeroleather repros. So could very well be modelled after a civilian purchase boot. The LL version is more "elegant" with a more pointy toe. The price was in line with their motorcycle boots (£ 325-350).
Didn't take a picture of them but found this one in a blog somewhere:

L1000664b.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
A bit off thread, but...

I like those, although as Speedster says they resemble the postwar motorcycle boots derived (as were many sheepskin jackets) from the wartime pattern. The price is a bit eye-watering, though!

I stopped criticising the accuracy of '36 pattern repros when a very experienced bootmaker and I tried to make a pair of accurate reproductions ourselves. I wasn't able to put my finger on it but when they came off the last there was definitely something about the the vamp and counter that wasn't right. Even though we used a good original pair to copy. I think that Aero made the same mistake with their offering (ELC's was better IMO) and I can see that the LL examples tend to err in that direction too, so it's obviously an easy mistake to make.

We lined them with the fleece from an old 'Irvin' jacket, by the way (just to get back on thread - hang on, this is a a thread about repro Irvin jackets. Damn!)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Add me to the list of those drifting off into the murky waters of off-topicness...

I'm with Mr Johnson here, these are some nice looking boots and I imagine the quality will be impeccable.

No they're not AM issue 36ers but they are damn fine boots.

Price is a tad fruity I'll agree.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
1936 pattern RNAF Flying boots( in brown)

ebay item #320602677481

Heads up there are a pair of these boots being offered on Ebay at present
High bid is only $20 us .
I am told that the brown 36 patterns are hard to find .
Would look good with your Irvins

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
RAF Flying Boots from Lewis (UK)?

Rumours are that Lewis Leathers (UK) have started producing RAF 1336 Pattern Flying Boots.
I have checked their website, but did nor find anything. Anybody out there knows?

Last edited:

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi John,

re: the 1936 boots, we should be receiving a delivery in the next 7-14 days but as photos go, we have been working with a photographer to take pictures of our entire output, plus vintage archive but they,ve gone awol for the past 10 days and the project is only half finished...
hopefully we can get the boot photos done properly next week, so at the moment we only have the image I sent you previously.

Best regards

Derek
Lewis Leathers

kowalski

Practically Family
hello, I have a jacket very similar to the A2's levis, differs from the original few details, but more like avirex A2, so why should they not make shoes? What do you think?
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Forum statistics