Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foot-so-Port Shoes. Anyone heard of em?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
http://www.footsoport.com/products/shoe_detail.aspx?sid=7

Here is a link to the boot I bought, new, at a thrift store. The boots set me back 4.00 dollars US. I have never heard of them before. They are a USA company. The leather is smooth. The shoe looks very much like a 40's era work boot. It has a cork sole and rubber heel. Brass nails (appear brass) are used under toe and in front of heel. Mine does not have the horizontal "U' shaped stitching, on the top side of the boot, as seen on the web site. There is no lining inside, straight single ply leather.
Any thoughts? I am wearing them to and from work to break them in....
pics tonight if requested...
John

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They used to make great shoes. As for their current offerings, I can't say.
IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

CC-1

Familiar Face
I know a lot about them- visited factory in Oconmowoc, Wisconsin and wear what's left of boots I bought over 25 years ago.
They are the BEST. Absolutely nothing compars with their lasts, fit and anatomical technology. Were available in many styles, all sizes and widths from AAAA to Z. The factory burned down putting an end to the company probably about 10+ years ago by now. Some tried to restart the brand salvaging some lasts and having them fabricated to spec in Mexico and maybe one other place or two. They are not the same quality or fit. The "Hornet" is
one of those models but it doesn't make it bad- they may suit you well.
I scour for models in my size. I think the shoe dealer in Beaverton, Oregon is the most knowledgable resource left. Google him through "foot-so-port." The company also made clown shoes and that part of the company may still be in business.

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
CC-1
Thanks for the input. Judging by the materials used and stitching, the shoe looks to be great quality. There was no wear on the shoe when I purchased them. The wear you see, is after one day. Agreed very comfortable. The boot is labeled Supreme inside, Made in USA. The shoe leather is awesome. I would not know if it is a NOS boot or more recently made.
IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

CC-1

Familiar Face
I have worn them for a week or so, very nice......
Does the cork rubber help date them?
John

Hi again,
To answer your immediate question, the Vulcork sole does not help date the boot because it was always offered as a standard alternate to a Neoprene sole. The really good news is that you do not have the model built after the original Foot-so-Port factory burned down- your boot is the most desirable from a quality and fitting standpoint. The actual style number is S505 with Vulcork, (S503 with Neoprene). Vulcork seemed to be favored by farmers and agricultural workers because of the slippery and caustic media they worked in (think cow flops). I prefer Vulcork because as an electrician often working on hard floors, I think they have a softer feel. Though it may remind folks of the Alden boot, they have a completely different last. F-S-P denotes it as the 1M last but it's real identity is the Munson (last) developed by an Army Doctor centuries ago. He did a true scientific analysis of feet and for a time many shoes in the military boasted the Munson last until they "improved" it by creating square plastic lasts for today's troops. This last does not suit everybody, however. Ironically, a production manager I met at Musebeck said he couldn't wear them at all. He explained that the last is actually built with a twist to it and you can see that for yourself by holding the shoe upside down and sighting along the sole.
In re dating: all the boots I've had for 20-25 years look like yours. But I saw a pair of NOS ones in an old shoe store recently (wrong size) that have 6 brass tacks hammered into the sides of the arch area. I don't know if that makes those samples really really old- I doubt it though. I have a an old catalogue of the complete line I could copy and send to someone who wanted it. ( I hope I am not stampeded by thousands of takers:)) One reason Musebeck failed was they carried too many shoes with too many options instead of building a base with their strongest market. Their inventory was either staggering, affecting cash flow or too skimpy causing people to have to wait for product.
-johnk

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hey John,
That is a lot of info. The bottom line is they are a gret pair of boots. I was going to get another pair of RWs as a walking shoe. These fit the bill perfectly with a style that I love. They are very comfortable with great leather.
I tell my wife I saved us 300.00 and she should be happy.....
Thanks you for the info and very glad to hear that is an NOS older boot.
JZ

CC-1

Familiar Face
JZ-
I think you'll find them even better in days to come. The leather is called retan leather and it's extremely durable.
You can either treat it with the usual oils or waxes for "outdoor" activities or polish them up with Kiwi et al for "dress."
When the finish gets dried out, faded or scratched after a few years, you just sponge them down, hit them with Fiebings
shoe dye or equivalent and start all over again. Finding the laces is the hardest part of owning these boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner