Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

jeo

One Too Many
@dudewuttheheck you posted your attractions engineers a while back. Along with Lofgrens, they are in my opinion the nicest shape/profile for an engineer. I have a pair of lofgrens in the natural but I would really love a pair of those black attractions. What model are those exactly and where can I buy them?

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I think that's it for now lol I'm good with 3 pairs of selvage jeans. Plenty of boots and jackets to rotate so I'm covered there too. Not really into watches or jewelries so I won't go that route. I hope that's me but maybe more boot socks.

I did get a brown belt from pigeon tree, he's a member here I just don't know his handle. Peng will graciously send a belt with the boots, if he sends a natural leather belt then I'll be inclined to buy a black one
Dude, I wish I had discovered quality socks earlier in life. Getting over the hump of paying $20/pair was difficult, but I'm a Darn Tough convert. When you think about how comfortable good socks are, the cost per wear, and the fact you wear them daily, it makes sense to forgo the Costco pack and treat yo'self.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@dudewuttheheck you posted your attractions engineers a while back. Along with Lofgrens, they are in my opinion the nicest shape/profile for an engineer. I have a pair of lofgrens in the natural but I would really love a pair of those black attractions. What model are those exactly and where can I buy them?
Mine are the lot. 444. (black veg tan horsebutt.) Just email them and tell them which size you want. I would suggest going over to their website/online store first to make sure your size is in stock.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Dude, I wish I had discovered quality socks earlier in life. Getting over the hump of paying $20/pair was difficult, but I'm a Darn Tough convert. When you think about how comfortable good socks are, the cost per wear, and the fact you wear them daily, it makes sense to forgo the Costco pack and treat yo'self.

I always wore the thorlos padded socks for work but it's too short for boots then I tried the Filson socks and those are great to wear as well. I will try the darn tough socks out too. It's really important for me and I can't wear regular socks anymore.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
We're in the top five now for my boot collection list. Next up are my John Lofgren engineer boots in natural Horween CXL cowhide

These were my first high quality casual boots that I bought and I fortunately still have them today. They are wonderful boots and I am really glad to have bought these as my first truly high quality boots. These beauties are wonderfully designed, finely crafted, and have stood up well over time, remaining comfortable for me to wear. John took a very long time designing these and you can see that. A lot of brands spend no time making engineer boots, either giving them stupidly bulbous toes or try to make them too slim by using derby shoe lasts for engineers which is also not a good idea. John Lofgren's last is bespoke for his engineer boots and it really shows. It is not overly slim and not overly bulbous either. Perfectly balanced.

As with the Role Clubs, by far the worst part of these boots is the leather. I understand why John Lofgren uses CXL. It’s easier to work with and more consistent than other more exciting leathers, but that does not mean that I do not wish that these boots had a better leather. As much as I love these boots, these have the highest chance of moving downward and it is mostly because of the dull, boring leather that is CXL. Natural CXL isn't even natural. It has that gross grey/blue tinge thanks to the chrome tanning. It has improved with age for sure, but a vegetable tanned leather would look even better. Other than that, these boots are fantastic. High quality construction, materials, design, and the comfort is fantastic for me as well.

gnjxJ5Y.jpg

RrLbLw2.jpg

UsPxkmR.jpg

Serghei Velescu

Familiar Face
@dudewuttheheck thanks for all the updates. I learn a lot from your reviews. I also prefer brown boots than black ones but the black Maryam horsebutt is my favorite black leather at this time. What else is there for black Leather consideration?

Tobacco Badalassi Monkey Boots by Junkard Co

View attachment 322273

View attachment 322272

View attachment 322271
How comfortable are monkey boots?

looking at the John Lofgren monkey boots and wonder are they worth it their price tag.
Anyone got some boots from John Lofgren? Are they so good?

Pandemic

One Too Many
2 Truman service boots in java horse butt and aubergine horse butt
1 Benzein lace up boots T Moro Horse Rump
1 onderhoud Engineer Black horse rump
1 flame panda monkey boot black horse rump

You could say I'm a (horse) butt kind of guy lol

I’m looking forward to seeing your onderhouds.

I’m still toying with the idea of another pair of engineers. Seeing all @dudewuttheheck ’s Japanese dress engineers has certainly given me the itch. With my wide feet, options are more limited. I don’t think I have the patience to wait for Role Clubs so an Indo boot is appealing.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
We're in the top five now for my boot collection list. Next up are my John Lofgren engineer boots in natural Horween CXL cowhide

These were my first high quality casual boots that I bought and I fortunately still have them today. They are wonderful boots and I am really glad to have bought these as my first truly high quality boots. These beauties are wonderfully designed, finely crafted, and have stood up well over time, remaining comfortable for me to wear. John took a very long time designing these and you can see that. A lot of brands spend no time making engineer boots, either giving them stupidly bulbous toes or try to make them too slim by using derby shoe lasts for engineers which is also not a good idea. John Lofgren's last is bespoke for his engineer boots and it really shows. It is not overly slim and not overly bulbous either. Perfectly balanced.

As with the Role Clubs, by far the worst part of these boots is the leather. I understand why John Lofgren uses CXL. It’s easier to work with and more consistent than other more exciting leathers, but that does not mean that I do not wish that these boots had a better leather. As much as I love these boots, these have the highest chance of moving downward and it is mostly because of the dull, boring leather that is CXL. Natural CXL isn't even natural. It has that gross grey/blue tinge thanks to the chrome tanning. It has improved with age for sure, but a vegetable tanned leather would look even better. Other than that, these boots are fantastic. High quality construction, materials, design, and the comfort is fantastic for me as well.

gnjxJ5Y.jpg

RrLbLw2.jpg

UsPxkmR.jpg
Those look fantastic. I picked up a pair from S&S but returned them bc I couldnt get over the bulbous toe (which I cannot stomach). I much prefer the sleeker/collapsed toe look on engineer boots, but that's just my preference.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I’m looking forward to seeing your onderhouds.

I’m still toying with the idea of another pair of engineers. Seeing all @dudewuttheheck ’s Japanese dress engineers has certainly given me the itch. With my wide feet, options are more limited. I don’t think I have the patience to wait for Role Clubs so an Indo boot is appealing.
I've got black maryam horsebutt engineers coming from FlamePanda. Last I checked, they should be completed any day now. I ordered in early September, so the wait is stout (and getting worse) but I'm super excited to receive them. I'm basically trying to recreate the japanese look with Peng because I also have wide feet (I'm a 10F in Nicks and 10.5E in alden barrie) and I'm afraid I won't fit in their stock boots.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I've got black maryam horsebutt engineers coming from FlamePanda. Last I checked, they should be completed any day now. I ordered in early September, so the wait is stout (and getting worse) but I'm super excited to receive them. I'm basically trying to recreate the japanese look with Peng because I also have wide feet (I'm a 10F in Nicks and 10.5E in alden barrie) and I'm afraid I won't fit in their stock boots.

Thanks - can't wait to see them! I'm a EEE in everything, so there is no way I am fitting into any of those lovely and elegant Japanese boots. Six months isn't too bad a wait - I think my Wescos were close to that.

Mich486

One Too Many
Many Japanese engineers boots can be deceiving. They just use a small dress shoe type welt adding to the sleek profile but the toe box can be pretty accomodating. I also think I read somewhere that eastern Asian feet are on average on the wide side.

My foot isn’t on the thin side either and I find Attractions (for instance) having plenty of toe box space. Clinch CN last probably won’t work if you have crazy wide feet but all I’m saying though is that if your foot is on the wide side and get used to see those big ass double or triple stacked soles (imho ugly) with double stitched welts used by some makers, you might conclude that a sleek engineer boot isn’t for you and I think it can be a mistake.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Many Japanese engineers boots can be deceiving. They just use a small dress shoe type welt adding to the sleek profile but the toe box can be pretty accomodating. I also think I read somewhere that eastern Asian feet are on average on the wide side.

My foot isn’t on the thin side either and I find Attractions (for instance) having plenty of toe box space. Clinch CN last probably won’t work if you have crazy wide feet but all I’m saying though is that if your foot is on the wide side and get used to see those big ass double or triple stacked soles (imho ugly) with double stitched welts used by some makers, you might conclude that a sleek engineer boot isn’t for you and I think it can be a mistake.

Thanks. Pretty sure I won't get an EEE fitting off the shelf from Japan. I have a pair of chunky Wesco engineer boots that are incredibly comfortable. Next-up I'd love to get something more sleek and refined like a Clinch, but that would fit my big old duck feet.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Benzein just sent me a list of the leathers he has in stock right now. The Cloe horsebutts and Badalassis look beautiful, though it is hard to get a sense of how thick they are.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
How comfortable are monkey boots?

looking at the John Lofgren monkey boots and wonder are they worth it their price tag.
Anyone got some boots from John Lofgren? Are they so good?

I just posted my Lofgren engineers. Lofgren boots are indeed extremely high quality. I love mine.

Those look fantastic. I picked up a pair from S&S but returned them bc I couldnt get over the bulbous toe (which I cannot stomach). I much prefer the sleeker/collapsed toe look on engineer boots, but that's just my preference.

I would not call the toe bulbous at all. It isn't as sleek as some makers, but it's way sleeker than Red Wing and Real McCoys for example. However, if you want something sleeker, look at Motor, Clinch, Role Club, and Attractions. Mister Freedom would be good as well when those finally come back in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider