Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Lucchese Classic Ropers in Buffalo. A very low 'Cuban" type heel. Super robust for Harley riding.
Eastman Luftwaffe , my "youngest" of the three in my collection. Taken on today's Friday Harley ride.
Stock Eastman 44" no "tweaks" and it fits me just fine. A "warm" jacket by default. Over 24C forecast I wear another !
First ride of the official "winter", 22C and no wind today , to be 3 days of this , the usual "winter" pattern.
COVID-19 Chit well nigh over tomorrow , the bars are open again ( whoopee !) and you can ride/drive across the state.
Remembering the state of Western Australia is BIGGER than all of Europe !

Eastman Luftwaffe at Mullaloo.jpg

Psant25

One Too Many
Well.. my custom whites arrived and i am super happy. Maybe i should not have had my Lucchese ropers in mad dog goat arrive the same day. I tried the whites on first. Thick durable leather and sole. The lucchese very thin leather. Crinkles easy. very narrow and soles were so damn slick. Total opposites ends of the spectrum in style, construction, and materials, but i was hoping the ropers would have been different i guess. I did not get a happy feeling. Those were stock and i have wanted to try them for a while. Those are going back. On to the next thing...
AE272EDF-695B-4C82-AF39-16AC4E8A2192.jpeg

Psant25

One Too Many
@Downunder G Man does that lucchese smooth goat end up breaking in nicely and the paper thin feeling sort of go away or what? Maybe i should have gone with exotic leather.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
None of my Lucchese boots are "bespoke" (at least NOT for me, as the majority of my collection have been bought lightly used). Many pairs sure have been specced deliberately , either by the retailer or the end user.

I find Lucchese 11 E or 10.5 EE are the sweet spot for me personally.

I find the goat pliable but strong. Goat jackets the same ( I have 2x Simmons Bilt Goat jackets , love them !)

The buffalo boots in that yesterday photo sure are "tough" , not pliable like the goat.

Which pair to wear for today's Harley jaunt ? We will see ! North up the coast is the consensus for direction.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Lucchese Roper in Black goat today ! ( matchy matchy with the Simmons Bilt J100 in Black goat.)

I am presuming a different goat as the boots are probably 15+ years older than the jacket.
These boots have a real soft hand , VERY comfortable and good for walking ( and riding!). 10.5 EE US sizing.

Simmons Bilt J100 June 2.jpg

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Another "action" shot, taken on today's Harley ride over on the coast. 16 Full oil tankers hove to on the horizon.
Last nice day for a wee while , weather to turn shitty for a few days starting tomorrow , weekend to be a washout.
Jacket for today my Simmons Bilt Nebraska goathide. I have said before this was made for Proconsul , an LA retailer.
Jeans Levi 504 , boots Lucchese Buffalo ropers, sunglasses manipulated 1970's 7 barrel hinged ray-Ban Balorama 2 tone.

Simmons Bilt Nebraska June 09.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The Dundas are William Lennon's right?

Dundas is a small Norwegian company. They have their boots put together in England, and the construction is very similar to William Lennon. Perhaps a bit more attention to detail and different leathers (although the later is available at WL upon request too).
Mine is a “Type 1” boot. Really great, although at nearly twice the price of a WL.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Dundas is a small Norwegian company. They have their boots put together in England, and the construction is very similar to William Lennon. Perhaps a bit more attention to detail and different leathers (although the later is available at WL upon request too).
Mine is a “Type 1” boot. Really great, although at nearly twice the price of a WL.
I guess their footware is made in the William Lennon factory? They look exactly the same (I know, I own 3 custom pairs of WL's) and according to their website they have their boots made in Northern ENgland.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I guess their footware is made in the William Lennon factory? They look exactly the same (I know, I own 3 custom pairs of WL's) and according to their website they have their boots made in Northern ENgland.

I know what you mean! I had the same thought, when I unboxed the Dundas. Here´s my take on things, after an article in a small magazine called "The Heritage Post":
The last of Dunda´s Model 01 is modelled after a british WW2 military boot, so that may explain the striking similarities to WL´s boot "No 178". The original "test-model" seems to have been developped together with "a small family-business in the UK"
Apparently, Dunda´s are now put together in the UK, Spain and Austria, so WL may or may not be involved.

For me, not much turns on that. Both WL and Dundas make great boots, IMO, which have the potential to virtually last forever. The "rugged" look of the "No. 01" may not be for every day (and outfit), but it never ceases to amaze me how the obvious sturdieness of the boots never compromises fit and comfort.

I do like Red Wings, but WL and Dundas are just that little bit better contstructed, IMO. Viberg is probably just as good, but the pricetag after customs and taxes means that they are literally EUR 1.000 boots when they arrive at my doorstep.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I know what you mean! I had the same thought, when I unboxed the Dundas. Here´s my take on things, after an article in a small magazine called "The Heritage Post":
The last of Dunda´s Model 01 is modelled after a british WW2 military boot, so that may explain the striking similarities to WL´s boot "No 178". The original "test-model" seems to have been developped together with "a small family-business in the UK"
Apparently, Dunda´s are now put together in the UK, Spain and Austria, so WL may or may not be involved.

For me, not much turns on that. Both WL and Dundas make great boots, IMO, which have the potential to virtually last forever. The "rugged" look of the "No. 01" may not be for every day (and outfit), but it never ceases to amaze me how the obvious sturdieness of the boots never compromises fit and comfort.

I do like Red Wings, but WL and Dundas are just that little bit better contstructed, IMO. Viberg is probably just as good, but the pricetag after customs and taxes means that they are literally EUR 1.000 boots when they arrive at my doorstep.
I've never owned any Red Wings, my "workboot" collection consists of 3 pairs of WL and a pair of Block & Last (and I say "workboot" because in the rare occasions when I leave the office and visit the project location I'm required to wear real EN approved safety footwear and clothing). My WL are pretty much built like a tank. One of my pairs is made of Horween hide and though supple and comfortable is really sturdy.
I've never come across any Viberg's either, but at that price tag I'd rather buy dress boots.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I bought these Red Wing Chelsea boots (Cactus colour) about 4 year ago for just 50€ and I still like wearing them:
upload_2020-6-10_16-13-24.png

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Well.. my custom whites arrived and i am super happy. Maybe i should not have had my Lucchese ropers in mad dog goat arrive the same day. I tried the whites on first. Thick durable leather and sole. The lucchese very thin leather. Crinkles easy. very narrow and soles were so damn slick. Total opposites ends of the spectrum in style, construction, and materials, but i was hoping the ropers would have been different i guess. I did not get a happy feeling. Those were stock and i have wanted to try them for a while. Those are going back. On to the next thing... View attachment 239938

What model of Whites? Those appear to be Stockman's - correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails