Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Whitters

One of the Regulars
Colder and wetter today...

20200715_150905.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
Hey guys instead of starting a new thread to probably get very little response, I figure throwing it in on this thread is my best bet haha. Does anyone own any Aero boots? I know they arent the highest level workmanship or materials. Just to make that clear I know and I have boots of super cheap to super expensive. Ive never owned any and actually havent seen any good reviews on TFL. For their price point are they worth it? Thats whats alluring me, they are not bank busting, or outrageous at all and a very attractive price point. They are less expensive than Iron Rangers for example. But thats my worry, that price...are they not going to last very long? Any input appreciated Thanks guys!

Hey guys instead of starting a new thread to probably get very little response, I figure throwing it in on this thread is my best bet haha. Does anyone own any Aero boots? I know they arent the highest level workmanship or materials. Just to make that clear I know and I have boots of super cheap to super expensive. Ive never owned any and actually havent seen any good reviews on TFL. For their price point are they worth it? Thats whats alluring me, they are not bank busting, or outrageous at all and a very attractive price point. They are less expensive than Iron Rangers for example. But thats my worry, that price...are they not going to last very long? Any input appreciated Thanks guys!

I've been wondering about that, too. They seem to be nice, straightforward boots.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My Aero boots, bought 3 years ago.
Pros: great thick and supple leather, good craftmasnhip.
Cons: non-structured toe (not necessarily a con though), and the leather soles wore out much faster than any other shoe / boot I've ever owned. Had to resole them in a year. If you but them go for the Dainite sole.
Personal opinion, at similar price range: if I was after a sturdy workboot then I'd go again for William Lennon, I own three pairs of them. If I was after a dress boot then I'd go for a discount Loake, Barker, Carlos Santos, and if lucky enough at the discount then a Cheaney.
IMG_0099.jpg IMG_0101.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I've been very pleased with my Aero Town boots. They're a dresseir boot than a Lennon workboot, but allowing for that difference I fidn them to be of similar quality. Certainly as good as my Red Wings, which were considerably more expensive at full price. I just wish Aero would add a nice, classic 10" engineer boot to their range. I'm deinitely going to buy some of the Jarrow boots at some point, very nice. Actually, much nicer shape in person than the website photos show. As has been said, go for the Dainite sole if you find you're hard on leather.

dannyk

One Too Many
My Aero boots, bought 3 years ago.
Pros: great thick and supple leather, good craftmasnhip.
Cons: non-structured toe (not necessarily a con though), and the leather soles wore out much faster than any other shoe / boot I've ever owned. Had to resole them in a year. If you but them go for the Dainite sole.
Personal opinion, at similar price range: if I was after a sturdy workboot then I'd go again for William Lennon, I own three pairs of them. If I was after a dress boot then I'd go for a discount Loake, Barker, Carlos Santos, and if lucky enough at the discount then a Cheaney.
View attachment 247389 View attachment 247390
Thanks for the wicked fast response. I was looking at the Dainite on a Cordovan, or doing the HH on the Commando sole. If I ever do. They just intrigue me at that price point. Dont need them for any sort of work or weather conditions. Have boots for that. Also dont need dress boots,have those as well. I just find myself checking them out frequently. I usually go to their sale page once a week or so and I usually end up looking at the boots again ha. If I do though like I said on the same page with you Dainite or Commando.

dannyk

One Too Many
I've been very pleased with my Aero Town boots. They're a dresseir boot than a Lennon workboot, but allowing for that difference I fidn them to be of similar quality. Certainly as good as my Red Wings, which were considerably more expensive at full price. I just wish Aero would add a nice, classic 10" engineer boot to their range. I'm deinitely going to buy some of the Jarrow boots at some point, very nice. Actually, much nicer shape in person than the website photos show. As has been said, go for the Dainite sole if you find you're hard on leather.
Yup again I go to price. Most "decent" Red Wings, Wolverines, Chippewas are going to be at that price or much higher. So for a boot of similar construction, not mass produced, and for a bit cheaper, I feel like it wouldnt be a wasted purchase. But just checked if I wanted the HH they are completely sold out in every size.

dannyk

One Too Many
The Jarrow Marcher stands exactly between a work and a dress boot. Quite versatile.

You cannot imagine how many times I've said this to both myself and my girlfriend. It's a lie.
I have a bunch of jackets and boots for sale in the classifieds as we speak. Go look at it and get some more stuff. But part of it was my fiance wanting more space and saying get rid of all this, and here I am asking everyones opinion on a new purchase before that stuff is even gone! hahaha

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently picked up a brand new pair of Frye Addison Engineers for $210.00 on Ebay (originally priced at $450 to $500). Beautifully made in the U.S. of Horween HH, Goodyear welt construction, and really comfortable, with a rounded toe-box. Incredible steal. I noticed something curious, though: on Ebay I see that they also made the same boot in Mexico, but with non-Horween leather (not specified as to the type of hide) and cheaper sole. I know that, like a lot of other companies, they've been offering two lines of product for several years, one cheaper line of less costly material made in Mexico and the other made of more expensive materials and of finer make in the U.S. I've never seen it, though, with the same boot. On Ebay in the secondary market (that line has been discontinued) the two types are being offered at the same price levels, and I'm wondering if the Mexican boot was offered at the same price point in the original offering, or if the Mexican boot came out later. I only noticed the difference by accident. I've been buying Frye's since I was a teenager (I've had the same two pairs of their Jackson Engineers for over twenty years and they're still solid) and own several pairs of other models, but I've never noticed two runs of different quality of the same style. Just thought it was odd.

Edward

Bartender
I recently picked up a brand new pair of Frye Addison Engineers for $210.00 on Ebay (originally priced at $450 to $500). Beautifully made in the U.S. of Horween HH, Goodyear welt construction, and really comfortable, with a rounded toe-box. Incredible steal. I noticed something curious, though: on Ebay I see that they also made the same boot in Mexico, but with non-Horween leather (not specified as to the type of hide) and cheaper sole. I know that, like a lot of other companies, they've been offering two lines of product for several years, one cheaper line of less costly material made in Mexico and the other made of more expensive materials and of finer make in the U.S. I've never seen it, though, with the same boot. On Ebay in the secondary market (that line has been discontinued) the two types are being offered at the same price levels, and I'm wondering if the Mexican boot was offered at the same price point in the original offering, or if the Mexican boot came out later. I only noticed the difference by accident. I've been buying Frye's since I was a teenager (I've had the same two pairs of their Jackson Engineers for over twenty years and they're still solid) and own several pairs of other models, but I've never noticed two runs of different quality of the same style. Just thought it was odd.

Never seen it at the same price point. Could be the US line is older stock and that the production shifted to Mexico? Some tiem around the turn of the century, DMs dropped production in England, and shifted to Thailand, China, and several other places. The basic, eight-eyehole, classic DM boot still sold for years for the £45 I paid for MiE in 1993, but in oder to maintain the price the market demanded they had to keep shifting to cheape production facilities and dropping the quality of the materials. After a while they really weren't the same boots. Is itg possible Frye were at the start of this trend, hence the overlap of boots made in different places?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the wicked fast response. I was looking at the Dainite on a Cordovan, or doing the HH on the Commando sole. If I ever do. They just intrigue me at that price point. Dont need them for any sort of work or weather conditions. Have boots for that. Also dont need dress boots,have those as well. I just find myself checking them out frequently. I usually go to their sale page once a week or so and I usually end up looking at the boots again ha. If I do though like I said on the same page with you Dainite or Commando.

I have the Jarrow Marcher in Cordovan with a Dainite sole. Nothing to complain about, as others have said: A solidly built boot, and an excellent value for money. Echoeing what was said before: the leather id the best part - thick and juicy.
As a slight qualification (and maybe even a Pro in the eyes of some): it is the quintessential understatement boot. You can get passionate about a RW Blacksmith in rough-out hide or a Viberg Service Boot. The Jarrow Marcher is just a boot. Good quality to the keen eye, but you won´t get stopped in the street for that.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
These crockett and Jones Skye 3 boots are perfect hybrid boots. They are elegant so I can wear them with a suit when going to the office. I also wear them with jeans and a leather jacket on casual occasions. They are very sturdy so you don't feel like you have to baby them.
5169EBD6-6CC3-4190-A3F3-8B63365B265A.jpeg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
These crockett and Jones Skye 3 boots are perfect hybrid boots. They are elegant so I can wear them with a suit when going to the office. I also wear them with jeans and a leather jacket on casual occasions. They are very sturdy so you don't feel like you have to baby them. View attachment 247551
I had been eyeing this specific model for years. I finally ended up with the exact same Alden in black shell.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
These crockett and Jones Skye 3 boots are perfect hybrid boots. They are elegant so I can wear them with a suit when going to the office. I also wear them with jeans and a leather jacket on casual occasions. They are very sturdy so you don't feel like you have to baby them. View attachment 247551
These are beauties! I‘ve never owned Crockett and Jones shoes but I‘ve seen them often in the Outlet store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21