Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

powerserge

One of the Regulars
Got it so brogue cap toe is slightly curved, I thought they just had holes in them that's why they are different lol I think Indonesian makers offering a premium selection of leather and soles for a reasonable asking price with the quality of worksmanship they do is smart business. I am convinced by the makers I've bought boots from (Sagara/Benzein/Junkard)

I will eventually need to buy leather insoles for that boot, any recommendations you can throw my way? I've seen the super grip half soles and they look well made, they offer it in a full sole now so I'll want to try that too

Those TDD 01 really look good, do you like it because of how it's lasted? It has a nice shape to it, it probably holds your foot in place. I should get one of these lol if I do get them I'll have 3 rows of speed hooks instead. It looks a little more formal than what I would regularly wear but that looks stunning. Congratulations
Between the three Indonesian boots you have, do you have a favorite? I know the least about Junkard between the three but have heard they are one of the cheaper Indonesian makers. There is a pair of crust shell cordovan boots made by Junkard that I've seen that looked stunning. I would also like to experience some of the other makers but it seems like I find a new every week and each them just as great as the next.

The only ones I can recommend are some made by a brand called Tacco, we sell them in the shop I work at and really the quality of them.

The kujang last that its built on seems like its just made for my foot. I never experienced anything like it, usually with boots there always something that a bit tight or just not right. The aggressive heel shaping on the boots seems to really hook my heel into the boot and feels super comfortable on long walks. From day 1 I wore them for 8+ hours. The speedhooks would be a good for practicality as doing up all the eyelets always takes forever, but I thought just having eyelets would look nice. I find these to be a nice balance formal and rugged, it's something I've kind of dressed up and have been my boots for work as well.
Those are sharp. The Indonesian makers are incredibly talented. Once you get past the fit anxiety and wait time, they’re an excellent choice. There are so many great US based bootmakers now, on top of the Asian makers: grant stone, parkhurst, mark albert, Truman, etc. I don’t have any personal experience with these makers, but they’ve got a lotta fans on social media. I came close to getting some grant stones during the Black Friday sale, but spent that money elsewhere.
I was worried about fit just because you're just having to rely on measurements sent in but they executed it perfectly. The wait time isn't so much an issue for me as I have had to wait for most of my boots and I think its worth waiting. My longest wait right now is for Role Club set to be finished by April of 2022 lol. Those are a great list of makers and really can't go wrong with any of them, Grantstone especially is very enticing with very good finishing and makeup and a really good price. Their honey glazed shell boots are the ones I always had my eye on

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Between the three Indonesian boots you have, do you have a favorite? I know the least about Junkard between the three but have heard they are one of the cheaper Indonesian makers. There is a pair of crust shell cordovan boots made by Junkard that I've seen that looked stunning. I would also like to experience some of the other makers but it seems like I find a new every week and each them just as great as the next.

The only ones I can recommend are some made by a brand called Tacco, we sell them in the shop I work at and really the quality of them.

The kujang last that its built on seems like its just made for my foot. I never experienced anything like it, usually with boots there always something that a bit tight or just not right. The aggressive heel shaping on the boots seems to really hook my heel into the boot and feels super comfortable on long walks. From day 1 I wore them for 8+ hours. The speedhooks would be a good for practicality as doing up all the eyelets always takes forever, but I thought just having eyelets would look nice. I find these to be a nice balance formal and rugged, it's something I've kind of dressed up and have been my boots for work as well.

I was worried about fit just because you're just having to rely on measurements sent in but they executed it perfectly. The wait time isn't so much an issue for me as I have had to wait for most of my boots and I think its worth waiting. My longest wait right now is for Role Club set to be finished by April of 2022 lol. Those are a great list of makers and really can't go wrong with any of them, Grantstone especially is very enticing with very good finishing and makeup and a really good price. Their honey glazed shell boots are the ones I always had my eye on
I’m in Brian’s queue too. Early 2022 I think as well.

powerserge

One of the Regulars
I just try not to think about it so much and it helps pass the time. I have heard the turnaround time is already at mid 2023, I can see why it puts some people off. When you tell people that you have to wait 2 years before your boots come in, they look at you like you're crazy. I can handle 2 years but I don't think I could do any longer than that, the Good Wear wait time is not something I think I would do. I also have a pair of Flame Panda that were quoted for 8 months, so at this point I'm just used to waiting haha

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

My favorite and best fitting boot would be from Junkard (the tobacco badalassi monkey boots with the vibram 700 soles). If the benzein service boots fit better then that would be my first pick as the toscanello horse rump is lovely. The Sagara cord masters is the most fun to wear because how playful the leather is, it fits me pretty well but the collar is giving me a hard time and has already given me a good bruising on my right ankle. Price wise they are pretty much the same cost, between $420-$450.

Thanks, I'll check them on amazon.

Man, that's so cool for you. The counter seems so well shaped, it's a great looking boot for sure. Maybe you should get another one in a different leather with a different make up since the last as you said is perfect for you.

I also asked role club for the lace to toe boots but did not go through because of the wait time. That says a lot about the quality of his work and how people perceive his creations when people wait almost 2 years to get a pair. I hope I made the right decision.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Back to "riding boots" haha..Lucchese sueded Hippo for today's 33C Harley ride.
Even they got a bit hot on the way home today !

Simmons Bilt J100 January 2nd 2021.jpg

Lucchese Hippo Ropers 2.jpg

Here are my TDD-01 boots from Benzein in Toscanello horse rump from Maryam. I’ve had them for about 2 months now and from the get go they have fit me perfectly. This is unlike any other boot experience I have had up to this point, and it was definitely worth the wait. Indonesia has become a favorite place of mine and is full of very talented makers. These pictures are some that I took one when first received the boots. I will eventually post some more updated pictures as they age more. Also happy new years everyone!
View attachment 296833 View attachment 296834 View attachment 296835 View attachment 296836 View attachment 296837
Edit: Sorry for the flipped pictures not sure why they changed after I uploaded them
That heel cup shape is fantastic!

powerserge

One of the Regulars
My favorite and best fitting boot would be from Junkard (the tobacco badalassi monkey boots with the vibram 700 soles). If the benzein service boots fit better then that would be my first pick as the toscanello horse rump is lovely. The Sagara cord masters is the most fun to wear because how playful the leather is, it fits me pretty well but the collar is giving me a hard time and has already given me a good bruising on my right ankle. Price wise they are pretty much the same cost, between $420-$450.

Thanks, I'll check them on amazon.

Man, that's so cool for you. The counter seems so well shaped, it's a great looking boot for sure. Maybe you should get another one in a different leather with a different make up since the last as you said is perfect for you.

I also asked role club for the lace to toe boots but did not go through because of the wait time. That says a lot about the quality of his work and how people perceive his creations when people wait almost 2 years to get a pair. I hope I made the right decision.
Any of the leathers that come from the Badalassi tannery are just to die for, and it seems like even brands like Grantstone are starting to use it. You've got a nice collection of boots there with a preference for lace to toes/monkey boots. What are thoughts on the monkey boots from Flame Panda? His monkey boot and the Sagara's you have are my favorite monkey boots out now.

I have definitely thought about get another pair in the same last because of the fit. He actually has the TDD-02 model which is the derby version on my boot with a few tweaks, might be purchasing a pair of those this year hopefully in a shell cordovan from Maryam

Those Role Club's are also a great pattern for lace to toes but I think you can't go wrong either way. The wait is a bit much to be fair, and the benefit for not going through is you're sitting around 2 years waiting for your boots to come in lol

I had in mind of getting a pair of chelsea for everyday use. What would be a good option nowadays? I am lost with all the new makers coming up :oops:
For chelsea boots I prefer them to be a wholecut pattern, and I think the seam on the side doesn't look as nice comparatively. There's not too many brands that do it but the ones that I know are Rm Williams, Viberg, Meermin, and Benzein.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I received my White Kloud boots today. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is ridiculous. They are even better than my Clinch and Role Club boots, making them the best work boots in the world. It's not easy to get a pair, but if you ever have the chance to go to Goto-San's workshop to be measured for a pair, it's worth it. A full write up will be on my website eventually. I'm taking some time to bask in the greatness of these boots first.

dhByy7V.jpg

y0agOAT.jpg

il4IGd7.jpg

x1jD8Tw.jpg

8y3Njlq.jpg

MghsLUo.jpg

nZRhHT6.jpg

Wc8nRVz.jpg

Mo5M6wJ.jpg

7nxg2V8.jpg

TNu0HJ3.jpg

Y2zkIFZ.jpg

CoZCefw.jpg

v2jCfEN.jpg

MUu2FC6.jpg
Very late post on these WK works of art.
Dude, the meticulous stitching on these is nothing short of amazing. It is reminiscent of stitching on some of the finest leather jackets.
If you ever have time it would be interesting to see how these have done some 2.5 years later.
Thanks Dude.
B

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 297330
What about these Crockett and Jones rough out Chelsea's?
View attachment 297329

Didn't think of rough out, but it would make them easy to use.

(I'm a sucker for classic English made shoes.)

^agreed. For Chelsea boots I’d go with a Northampton maker or RM Williams.

I had seen them mentionned, just checked them and they have quite the selection, I like the dark teal colour :)

For chelsea boots I prefer them to be a wholecut pattern, and I think the seam on the side doesn't look as nice comparatively. There's not too many brands that do it but the ones that I know are Rm Williams, Viberg, Meermin, and Benzein.

As far as I know, Meermin are on the lower end overall. Is that more or less true?
I have seen a Viberg engineer a few years ago and it looked good.
Benzein, I have seen mentionned here, I would suspect, they would have a more varied selection of leathers? Any idea on their prices?

I would take it that Viberg, RM Williams and Benzein are in a similar level in terms of construction?

Fonzie

One Too Many
I had in mind of getting a pair of chelsea for everyday use. What would be a good option nowadays? I am lost with all the new makers coming up :oops:
You can’t go wrong with classic RM Williams, great quality, tradition and lots of styles. Plus they will last a lifetime if treated properly.
I just bought some Gardener Chelsea boot in Vesta leather and I’m loving them, perfect balance between work and dress style (pics to come soon).

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had seen them mentionned, just checked them and they have quite the selection, I like the dark teal colour :)

As far as I know, Meermin are on the lower end overall. Is that more or less true?
I have seen a Viberg engineer a few years ago and it looked good.
Benzein, I have seen mentionned here, I would suspect, they would have a more varied selection of leathers? Any idea on their prices?

I would take it that Viberg, RM Williams and Benzein are in a similar level in terms of construction?
Viberg, RM Williams and Benzein are work boots, usually thick leather without lining and has thicker work/all weather soles.
Meermin is a lower price dress shoes brand like Carmina, Loake, Barker and Grenson etc. Dress shoes almost always never use soft leather (except shell) like calfskin, dress shoe sole and have lining.
Let's just put it this way, if you don't wanna spend the money and you don't require the quality of a pair of Crockett and Jones, you can turn to Meermin. I have never handled RM Williams and Benzein so I would not know how good they are.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Meermin is a lower price dress shoes brand like Carmina,
I wouldn't say meermin and Carmina are in the same league. Meermins look great in their advertising but not so much in real life. The leather looks dull and every single pair I had in hands was flawed in one way or the other (I visited their Paris store).
Carminas are way better. Also pricier.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Very late post on these WK works of art.
Dude, the meticulous stitching on these is nothing short of amazing. It is reminiscent of stitching on some of the finest leather jackets.
If you ever have time it would be interesting to see how these have done some 2.5 years later.
Thanks Dude.
B
Thanks!
There are some updated photos in my two year review of them here: https://almostvintagestyle.com/2020...-the-best-boots-in-the-world-two-year-review/

Still the best things I own in my closet. Getting some shell ones soon from him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner