Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those who ride motorcycles (or are thinking about riding).

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Seeing so many posts on this forum about motorcycle jackets got me to thinking about gear. I'm not posting this with regards to any particular thread or post, rather I'm simply sharing a thought.

Whenever I actually stop to think about protective gear, beyond the subconscious motions of actually putting the stuff on, I often find myself thinking back to the MSF class that I took a number of years ago before I started riding on the street. When the topic of gear was covered, the instructor had us think of a speed at which we might be riding our bikes. Then he had us imagine being kicked out of the back of a pickup truck at that same speed. He had us think about what we would want to be wearing if that speed happened to be 20 mph?, 30 mph?, 40 mph? 50 mph?, and so on. It definitely made me think back then, and it still does now.

For what it's worth, I'm not advocating for anything other than perhaps for those who ride, or are thinking about riding, to consider thinking about the gear beyond the usual points of style that are so often discussed here. To each their own and all that. With that said, here's wishing all of you who ride a safe ride each time out, regardless of what you choose to wear, or not, as the case may be.

I suppose that's more than enough rambling for now.

Last edited:

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Horween horsehide and comp. weight Vanson are pretty bullet proof! The upper-end Schott stuff (above $600.00 USD) is too! If folks want it, and a lot do, we sell the Knox armored Coolmax Venture shirts to go under these beautiful jackets! You don't have to sacrifice style for safety!!! :eusa_clap

I feel bad for the "fashion riders" because I know one day, they'll end up sorry they worried more about looking chic than riding protected. As it turns out, you can do both, but many manly men don't do it. The end results are not good.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Riding a modern motorcycle can also be a fashion thing. I ride a Hayabusa and wear what some on here call a 'Power Ranger' outfit.
To be honest the Power Ranger leathers and full face helmet look far more in harmony with that kind of motorcycle than trying to look like Marlon Brando from 'The Wild One' on a GSXR. Nowdays you can also look like Marlon and have a jacket with protection if you wish to ride your Speed Twin or Road Rocket etc. Good old plain leather may look cooler on this kind of bike and I admit to this also as I have a 1964 BSA. My black leather jacket is great sliding protection, I just hope I dont kiss the tarmac and hit a kerb

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is why I have been looking so hard for a jacket in heavy leather with armor. That way I get the abrasion resistance of leather and the impact resistance at the shoulders, elbows and back. I am a bit vain, so I am making an extra effort to find a good, protective jacket that also looks cool. I would love to go with a classic 3/4 helmet, but I rather like my face, and rely on it for my career, so I will be going full face. Still figuring out the pants.

*And of course, appropriate gloves and boots.

I do ride sometimes sans a jacket, mainly around town for errands. I always wear jeans & boots, wear fingered gloves, helmet, eye protection. I have a perforated leather jacket for warm weather & just bought a mesh jacket with armor this summer. I have a vintage heavy leather motorcycle jacket that I wore this morning to ride to work. I got back into riding 18 years ago. My wife rides & so does my son.
What I don't get is folks riding in shorts, even see some in flip-flops. I have had enough stuff & insects hit me that I sure don't want to risk one going up the legs of my shorts like I see some folks exposing. I sure don't want bare skin that close to a hot engine.
With that new mesh jacket, I doubt I'll ever ride jacket-less again.
I give waves & don't expect to get them. I wear the gear for me, not for how I look to others.....Ride safe

PS: the jeans I wear are Draggin Jeans with kevlar reinforcement....

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I wear a plain black, two-piece BKS Leathers suit when riding. It's one of the toughest set of leathers that money can buy. The only trouble is that the trousers are a bit loose after I lost some weight.

Wade, have you seen the Forcefield shirts? They're similar to the Knox Ventura, but the armour is probably a step up.

Magister

Familiar Face
I have a decent 1.5mm thick cowhide jacket with hard, GP style armor (Xpert Performance is the brand - I'm wearing it in my avatar).

However, most of the time while riding I wear an Aerostich Darien suit. It is the opposite of fashionable, but is protective, versatile, and weatherproof. Function before form, in this case.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Of course it's not really falling off you are concerned with , it's GETTING knocked off by some idiot not concentrating on other road users.

Hitting the ground at speed is hitting the ground at speed. The impact from a distracted driver will not be your outer covering's primary protective purpose.
About the only gear that helps with impact is a good lid. Sure, pads help elbows, spine, etc. but most gear is to help in a slide. I've had two such days. First one was after almost 20 years of riding. It's eye-opening. I walked away both times, wrecked bikes, broken bones, but lived. Gear is #1. Balk at it and you will regret it someday. Looking cool works until the ambulance (or worse) ride.

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I kinda always wanted to ride a motorcycle. Something classic. But unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about them and had it drilled into my brain since I was a kid, by my parents that they were very dangerous. Had an uncle who was killed on one pre helmet days. But they still look fun.

Dave

jglf

A-List Customer
Take a MSF Basic rider course over a weekend. This way you don't have to go to the MVC for the road test. There are a ton of schools in NJ.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
About the only gear that helps with impact is a good lid. Sure, pads help elbows, spine, etc. but most gear is to help in a slide. I've had two such days. First one was after almost 20 years of riding. It's eye-opening. I walked away both times, wrecked bikes, broken bones, but lived. Gear is #1. Balk at it and you will regret it someday. Looking cool works until the ambulance (or worse) ride.

I would say you also need padding where it counts--shoulders, elbows, knees, back protector. Good riding outfits incorporate these. The outfit also needs to be abrasion resistant. This is something a good thick leather jacket excels at, assuming it stays in place during a crash. But if you're wearing jeans you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

The USA really needs to implement tiered licensing for bikes like the UK.
My son and his friend just finished the first MSF course.
It's just a start to smart riding.

cdnwatchguy

New in Town
I ride with purpose built riding gear. Armoured jacket, armoured pants gloves boots and full face helmet. Always.

71AB4FE9-3E33-4588-9D7E-52177B0E39BE-135-00000005ED3FEE86.jpg

Last edited:

irow

New in Town
do leather motorcycle jackets eventually stretch after wearing them enough times? if so, usually how much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails