Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For your consideration: The comeback of the hat?

44forrest

New in Town
Not sure if this has heretofore be posted. It originated in the Wed. May 10th edition of the Guelph Mercury by Greg Merceran and I found it as a link at the MTV HIVE blog. while searching for info on Biltmore hats. Give it a read and post your reactions and ruminations.

Snappy hats gaining popularity!

From the Wed. May 10th edition of the Guelph Mercury by Greg Mercer: Article

With an injection of retro cool by Eric Lynes, the new Kentucky-born owner of the company, the Biltmore name is suddenly becoming known for hip hats that are a throwback to the 1950s and 1960s.

Featuring lower crowns and shorter, "stingy" brims, these hats are the urban antithesis of the old-style fedoras sported by the likes of Humphrey Bogart and Indiana Jones.

"This ain't your daddy's hat," is how Ramona Ostrander, vice-president of marketing and operations for Biltmore, puts it.

Lynes -- an accountant who bought the then-bankrupt Biltmore company last year -- said hat stores in Manhattan, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and other big U.S. metropolitan centres are calling Guelph now, asking for his new line of "stingies."

"We've been selling those hats like crazy," Lynes said recently in his friendly Kentuckian drawl.

The classic, old-fashioned fedoras are still the 89-year-old company's bread and butter, but orders for the new styles introduced by Lynes are growing steadily.

Biltmore is almost certainly getting a boost from pop culture.

Popular men's fashion magazines, including GQ, have recently featured some of hip-hop and pro basketball's biggest stars dressed to kill -- and wearing dress hats. And last month, the local company was christened the maker of Canada's hottest hat by the Globe and Mail.

"Quite a few of these (NBA players) actually wear Biltmore hats. But they probably don't know that a black man actually owns Biltmore," Lynes said.

"The hat shops in Philadelphia that we sell to, they tell me Allen Iverson wears Biltmore hats. In Miami, there's a retailer there we sell hats to. They call us for hats for Shaquille O'Neal."

He said men's fashion hit a low with ultra-baggy jeans and jerseys, but now it's showing signs of heading back toward a more formal, tailored look.

Ostrander said the new "stingies" appeal to a younger crowd looking to make a fashion statement with just the right touch of attitude. It doesn't hurt that rapper 50 Cent -- GQ's Man of the Year -- wears them, too.

Biltmore is in discussions with celebrities in the sports and music world about creating a new line of hats for the stars' private labels, Ostrander said.

She wouldn't say who the stars are until the deals are sealed, but said these arrangements could spread Biltmore-made hats across the U.S. through retail chains like Macy's.

Lynes did recently fly to San Francisco for a meeting with Cedric the Entertainer, of Dr. Dolittle 2, Big Momma's House and Be Cool fame, to talk about exclusive deals. He did the same for Steve Harvey, the comedian and actor, Ostrander said.

Entertainers, particularly black ones, are making hats cool again, giving boost to a niche industry that's still blaming John F. Kennedy for triggering a precipitous decline in the sales of men's hats by appearing hatless at his 1961 U.S. presidential inauguration.

"The more these celebrities wear them, the public is going to start catching onto it," Lynes said.

Since an article in the Globe and Mail singing Biltmore's praises appeared last month, people have been calling at least one Toronto retailer, Klaxon Howl, and asking for Biltmore by name, said store co-owner Matt Robinson.

Only a few years ago, sales had dropped off to the point where Robinson's store stopped carrying Biltmore hats.

Now, the Biltmore name is popular again and the store is once again stocking the Guelph-made hats.

"They're back," Robinson said.

Marc Brombal, owner of the Art of Denim on Wyndham Street, started carrying Biltmore hats within the last week because he sees Hollywood stars and singers like Usher popularizing the look.

"I think clothing is starting to go dressier again. You'll see guys start to wear those hats," he said.

Biltmore, which in the 1950s had as many as 450 workers here, is still a name that causes hat retailers across the U.S. to warm immediately over the telephone to callers from Guelph.

Michael Meyer, co-owner of Meyer the Hatter in New Orleans -- the largest hat store in the southern United States -- said one of his most popular sellers is Biltmore's Milan flat-top hat, made of straw with a shorter brim.

"People all across the board are buying it. Young, middle, old -- all over," he said.

Bruce Vales, co-owner of the Village Hat Shop in San Diego, Calif., said the Biltmore name has always implied quality and good style.

"People know Biltmore. They come in and ask for Biltmore," he said. "Once you get into hats, and you're a dude, you discover Biltmore."

Vales said overall sales are up, but he isn't buying suggestions that a Biltmore craze could soon be sweeping the nation.

"People have been saying for 15 years that hats are coming back," he said.

"But business is good; there is an upward trend right now. Are hats coming back like the 1930s? I'm not counting on it."

George Hoag, of Sussman's men's store in Arthur, doesn't think a younger generation of males will be willing to shell out the $100 or more often demanded for a Biltmore hat.

"The younger guys might like it, but I don't know if they'll pay for it," Hoag said.

Still, given the company's new ownership, his store would consider expanding their inventory of Biltmore products, he said.

Guelph comic artist Gregory Gallant, a.k.a. Seth, has been wearing fedoras since the late 1980s.

He said he wouldn't mind finding himself walking down Wyndham Street suddenly surrounded by bandwagon jumpers in their trendy "stingies."

It's about time mainstream culture starting dressing itself up a bit, he said.

"I'd be happy to see the man's hat make a comeback," Seth said. "That would be just fine with me."

Posted May 10, 2006 11:56:00 AM

MattJH

One Too Many
There's no question that the stingy brim fedoras have already made a comeback. Not only are they sported by athletes, but by pop music stars, socialites, actors and actresses as well -- Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Jude Law, Johnny Depp... they even sell the stingy brim fedoras in shops like Hot Topic, Abercrombie & Fitch, and other "hip" fashion outlets. There is still the element of it being part of a costume rather than being a permanent part of a daily wardrobe, but it's still a definite comeback.

The wide brim fedoras, however, are still relegated to the pawn/consignment shops, by and large.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Hold on to your hats!

A positive development, for sure. Looks like Biltmore may help lead the way for modern hat makers to put out better dress products.

However, if the fad becomes something more, might we see vintage fedoras being snapped up (no pun intended) at a faster rate, and -- gasp :eek: -- have some of the wider-brim vintage get the "remodeling" treatment?

I guess it serves us wide-brim fedora-wearers right, as we infuriate the western vintage lovers by trimming *their* hats down.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Stingy brims are definately the defacto standard when it comes to what you see on the street.

I'd like to see more of the 30's look though it's just too much for some at the moment. High crown and wider brims I think are the bigger market for our custom hatters on this board.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
you're right Matt, I've only done a few stingies this year ( 3 to be exact) but I don't really know what that says. Could be an economic thing, or a taste, don't really know. I do know that I build the styles I like most so...life is good!!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's hard to find a good wide brim high crown hat off the peg. Biltmore makes one open crown and Stetson still has the open road though with the cattleman crease... it's really up to guys like You to make the hats we see in the old movies.

44forrest

New in Town
The cost of style

The mention of $100 cost of a good hat being a possible disincentive for a novice buyer struck me as weak. I see young people paying $150 for a pair of Nike's or a throwback jersey or a vintage ball cap. If the hat truly is back in style, monitary concerns won't stop anyone. I have always been cheap but worn a good hat and smoked a good cigar. Not the best, but I do pretty good. Young people today aren't cheap like me. If they have to have it to be cool, they are going to have it damn the cost, maybe not at $300 but definately at $100.
Will the trend toward dressing up last? The "leisure suit" lasted longer that I thought it ever would. Way too long.

RBH

Bartender
Simon82 said:
I guess it serves us wide-brim fedora-wearers right, as we infuriate the western vintage lovers by trimming *their* hats down.
Its just like an ol' Alabama boy to stir the pot! lol lol lol
Even though I cant wear the stingy and they really arent my favorite style it is good to see people come back to fedora wearing, be it wide brim or stingy. there are some that really look good in a stingy.. Sinatra for one.
Anyway thanks for the posting.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
"This ain't your daddy's hat," is how Ramona Ostrander, vice-president of marketing and operations for Biltmore, puts it.

She actually thinks that's a good thing. :eusa_doh:

"Quite a few of these (NBA players) actually wear Biltmore hats. But they probably don't know that a black man actually owns Biltmore," Lynes said.

Is that supposed to make the hats better? Someone help me out - I don't understand this statement at all.

Lynes did recently fly to San Francisco for a meeting with Cedric the Entertainer, of Dr. Dolittle 2, Big Momma's House and Be Cool fame, to talk about exclusive deals.

Excellent! When does the Gary Coleman line come out?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
And the Fez lovers will cut the stingy brims

Hey, RBH -- who me, stirrin'? ;)

I have to admit the stingy is a great jazz look, and a nice nighttime lid. But when the sun's out, my lily-white skin needs an awning!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to have several stingies, but I've sold three of them to friends for whom they're much better suited.

This one is about the only stingy that looks halfway right on me. Brim width is 1-3/4":

I also have a few hats in the 2-1/4" to 2-3/8" brim range, which work much better for me.

BigSho

Vendor
We got a few new stingy hats from Biltmore this year, and they look good on a lot of younger people that are thin and don't really "dress". But sadly Biltmore isn't in the greatest state right now, and I am not sure how much longer they will be around. If they go I know that I will miss them.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge jkingrph

jkingrph said:
Personally, I prefer a wider brim and am looking for a fedora similar to that that Jeff Bridges wore in Seabiscuit. It had a wider brim and a narrow ribbon hatband.

Check out what DeanGlen is doing with inexpensive felt hats..
As for new hats check out the "Douglas Hat"
http://www.millerhats.com/derby2.htm
or the Akubra Campdraft for around 120$- you will have to shape the crown on the Campdraft yourself [it isnt hard]
http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/category1/category13/category54/product334

Or check out that Auction site and search for an Open Road- Stetson Stratoliner, Borso or several other style fedoras that match the look you are after.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Tony's Pics

Tony, those are good comparison pics of two different hat eras & shows how these hats really can change your image. Sir, will that be a double scotch? ;)

SC :)

kiltedjeeper

New in Town
:heavy sigh:

well, judging by the individuals and organizations you've mentioned, so much for hat's being classy.

If that's what it's coming to with hats, no thanks.

Dumbjaw said:
There's no question that the stingy brim fedoras have already made a comeback. Not only are they sported by athletes, but by pop music stars, socialites, actors and actresses as well -- Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Jude Law, Johnny Depp... they even sell the stingy brim fedoras in shops like Hot Topic, Abercrombie & Fitch, and other "hip" fashion outlets. There is still the element of it being part of a costume rather than being a permanent part of a daily wardrobe, but it's still a definite comeback.

The wide brim fedoras, however, are still relegated to the pawn/consignment shops, by and large.

44forrest

New in Town
GentlemanFarmer

BTW 44Forrester,

Like the avatar. It's right off Houston's The Hat Store website, correct?

Correct
I hadn't paid attention to where the avitar came from until you responeded. I had googled "cowboy hat shape" and got this image, saved it to my pictures and refer to it frequently when looking at hats online. Chose it as my avitar since it is a dream of mine to have a hat in each of these shapes... and maybe a few not shown by the time they throw dirt on me.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm kinda with Matt. I'd like higher crown wider brims to gain some popularity. I personally like wearing those more too.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo