Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forgotten Celebrities of the Era

3fingers

One Too Many
66107c3c023bbacd2b0a2f0b3e0169f7.jpg

Kay Aldridge
462ecc52f413bdcb4bec1bf23a035a4d.jpg

Glenda Farrell

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kay Aldridge used to live just down the road from me -- she was, late in life, the doyenne of the Camden, Maine arts scene, and after she died they named the little cul-de-sac where she'd lived "Nyoka Lane." She was what you call a "larger than life character."

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
We were going concerns once too --

AP310609044.jpg

Starr Faithfull

I spent far too much of this morning reading all about the unfortunate Miss Faithfull and her sad life and demise. It struck me as a suicide or accident rather than a murder, given her propensity for attempting to stow away aboard liners and her frequently intoxicated state. A lurid tale, for sure, but not necessarily foul play--unless there's something I missed?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m not sure if she was a celebrity during the golden era, but she became a minor celebrity at some point…

Extremely short version: Dorothy Eady (1904-1981) was born in London. She was a normal child. At the age of three, however, she took a severe fall down a flight of stairs. According to one account, she was declared dead at the scene. However, a little while later, she jumped up and was seemingly O.K. Soon after, she started having vivid dreams of ancient Egypt. She specifically had very specific memories of a place in Egypt she called “home”. She becomes obsessed with all things ancient Egyptian. Fast forward, in 1931 she moved to Egypt. She continued to have her vivid dreams… now she claimed that in a past life she had been a minor priestess at a royal compound; she was one of those priestesses bound to a life of chastity. However, she fools around and gets pregnant and is made to pay the ultimate price. Back in the 1930s, Dorothy does not act like a nut case, but leads a normal life. She gets a job assisting a prominent archaeologist. It turns out she knows a lot of stuff she would have no way of knowing. Anyway, she eventually makes it to the ruins of that place she once called “home”. She says “dig here and you will find this.” They do, and they do. She repeats the trick again and again. She becomes highly respected in the archaeological community. They say she is no crackpot and has something going on. Eventually her story gets out and she receives a bit of fame. No one could ever prove her wrong or expose her as a fake. A 1987 New York Times article described a biography of her as an "intriguing and convincing modern case history of the belief in reincarnation.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Eady

https://www.ancient-origins.net/his...-was-lined-reincarnation-and-connected-020877

One who belongs in this thread is tennis-great Alice Marbles.
Alice-Marble.jpg

She was a top tennis star in the '30s - a two-time winner of Wimbledon - who became a well known public figure who sang professionally at premier New York City nightclubs, helped break the color barrier in tennis, had a career in radio, hobnobbed with Hollywood greats like Clark Gable and Carole Lombard and just might have been a spy in WWII, yet, somehow, she seems all but forgotten today.

There is a new biography out on her, The Divine Miss Marble: A Life of Tennis, Fame and Mystery by Robert Weintraub.
251760-ea0aa5913994eab8cbb6587d071da662.jpg

@LizzieMaine and I both recently read and commented on it. If interested, you can read those comments starting here: #8444

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
A few more

H. L. Mencken
upload_2020-9-11_1-28-16.jpeg

Timothy Leary
upload_2020-9-11_1-27-7.jpeg

C. H. Douglas
225px-C_H_Douglas.jpg

Gaylord Hauser
images

All were well known in their day for their controversial ideas, now largely forgotten

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Um. The first Belmont Stakes was held at Jerome Park Racetrack in The Bronx, built in 1866 by stock market speculator Leonard Jerome (1817–1891) and financed by August Belmont Sr. (1816–1890), for whom the race was named.

Creator; Destin; Lani; Governor Malibu 2016 Belmont Stakes....
I opted for a tight handicap that day, bet Destin, Lani, Creator, Governor Malibu for a straight Superfecta;
having discounted Creator even though he was the Seventh North American stakes ranked thoroughbred
2016, and my gut instinct told me to revise my card. Watching the race, at the turn my order was in,
and a very lucrative ticket beckoned promise. Then, Creator jumped the chow line and made fast dash
to the finish line, winning by a nose. A deafening silence roared through the room until some guy by the bar
screamed Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. The moment is now enshrined inside my personal WTF Hall of Fame.

But, if a gambler cannot admit his mistakes and honestly analyze post race results, he should not play.
...and this one still hurts youbetcha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112