"Formal" Straw Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Some Random Bloke, Aug 8, 2016.

1. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

"FORMAL" Straw hats? Easy!! Here is one of the best Ready-to-Wear suppliers I know of.

These are some of their offerings...
    2112_1_.jpg 006214_01.jpg

I especially like the Black one for your events. Best of luck.

I once told a guidance counselor in school I wanted to work with people in my career. He recommended I become a mortician. Hmmm....

Dm101, BobHufford, FedOregon and 2 others like this.
  2. RJR

RJR

o_O

hatsRme likes this.
  3. RJR,
    I checked out the Historical Emporium hats. Interesting. Most give the impression they were built for theatrical purposes; kind of a stage prop vibe. Have you owned any of these hats?

While they didn't have what I was looking for, I did see a Panama Boater that intrigued me.

4. RJR

RJR

No experience with them myself.

5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Having a preference, like the leather sweatband, is going to limit you in what is already a very limited choice. You explain that you are a funeral celebrant, great description, by the way, you need the gravitas that goes with your work. A dark coloured straw sounds perfect to me, a dark coloured straw fedora sounds just the job, if you will excuse the pun. If such a hat isn't available in Oz, try putting The Village Hat Shop into Google. Make sure though that the price you see includes shipping,

Redfokker likes this.
  6. carldelo

carldelo One Too Many

I'll second this advice - I have a gray Capricorn (the first one to be custom made in size 62!), and it is indeed a formal-looking straw. The color is dark graphite, a little darker than it looks on most websites. I use it almost exclusively during summer evenings, sometimes during the day if it's cloudy/rainy. If I was going to a funeral in the summer (knock wood), I would wear it without hesitation. I would not wear a boater to a funeral (seems too playful), nor a homburg or topper (seems 'costume-y'). In the end, your local customs are going to dictate what looks respectful without being attention-grabbing, which is important in your position.

M Hatman and Redfokker like this.